Questions before MOT!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tsia

Questions before MOT!

Post by Tsia »

So here's a list of things wrong with my car, I'm fairly certain some of them are a failure under the new MOT regulations, but I'd like to clarify that beforehand. The car is a Rev 3 UK with a Rev 2 tubby engine inside, so I've got no worries about the de-cat as far as I'm aware! (1992)

Problem #1 - ABS bulb removed (by previous owner), ABS doesn't seem to function correctly. Presumably removed to pass previous MOT.

Problem #2 - Passenger side electric window doesn't go up/down, not too sure why.

Problem #3 - Drivers side seatbelt fraying, but I'm fairly sure seatbelt replacement is a nice easy task.

Problem #4 - Handbake comes up a bit too high, but again, hopefully an easy fix.

Problem #5 - Rear fogs aren't wired in correctly, but this is a case of running a wire to the back of the car I'm fairly sure.

Problem #6 - Despite wiring the speedo in 'correctly' it doesn't seem to actually function, not sure if this is me being an idiot (likely) or if it's something else that's broken (slightly less likely).

Could anybody clarify if these are definitely MOT fails, I'm fairly sure the fogs one will be, as well as the ABS light issue & speedo, but I'd just like to be certain before I go ahead and get bits fixed! (Yes, I know I should do them all, but it's a tight month :( )

Any advice is appreciated, such as wiring diagrams etc! ♥
riot68

Re: Questions before MOT!

Post by riot68 »

I'm no expert but have spent time talking to the guys who MOT our cars when the new regs came in so in my opinion.

#1 if they don't realise it has ABS then shouldn't be an issue (grey area though)

#2 not an issue

#3 might be an advisory, very easy fit, just a post in the wanted and swap it over.

#4 they are supposed to, think it's 3 or 4 clicks.

#5 definite fail with no rear fog

#6 not to sure on this one, maybe not.

Again on;y my take on it as my understanding goes, not really much to sort I don't think...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Here's to hoping! :thumleft:

I'll be giving Luke @ Pacific a call this week and hopefully getting it down there for him to have a good going over, but I thought I'd start a thread so I can start prioritising the issues. :D
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

You are allowed to remove ABS on a pre 2000 car but it must be compleatly removed (i.e. no pump still left). If its there then it should have the warning light bulb test work but the ABS itself is not tested.

Handbrake must start to work the brakes within a certain amount of clicks but can then take as many as are left to get to the top, it must lock the wheels with no more than normal effort (i.e no two handed opperation to get it to lock the wheels). To be honest I get a warning off the guy every year that the handbrake wont lock the wheels but I know it does on the road, just not their rollers.

UK Spec rev 3's had a cat and will be listed as such so a cat is needed unless you have a letter from the manifacturer with your engine number on it declaring the engine is from a pre cat car (i.e. one with no cat fitted) as all Turbos had cats good luck with getting a letter from the manufacturer stating otherwise. This will be a new one this year though, in the past most places have let it slide if the car had a cat when new but was old enough to not need one, as of January if it had a cat when new it must still have one.
Last edited by Super_red on Sun May 13, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Problem #1 - If car shows on VOSA system as having ABS, or MOT tester is on the ball enough to spot the ABS system present, and light does not light and extinguish, FAIL.

Problem #2 - Doesn't matter.

Problem #3 - Depends on the opinion of tester. Any visible fraying or damage = FAIL.

Problem #4 - Doesn't matter how high h/b lever travels - handbrake efficiency and balance is what matters.

Problem #5 - Rear fogs aren't wired in correctly, but this is a case of running a wire to the back of the car I'm fairly sure. - FAIL.

Problem #6 - FAIL if he finds out. Keep mouth shut!

Forget the CAT issue. As an import it won't be on VOSA system, so tester won't know if cat was ever fitted or not. Standard non-CAT emissions test.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Why is the speedo a fail, it never used to be. A car is not required to have a speedo for an MoT so blank it over.

OP says the car is a UK car?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Super_red wrote:OP says the car is a UK car?

My bad.

In that case, as you say, needs a CAT or documentation from engine manufacturer and installer.

Easier to fit a CAT. Took my customer 3 months of messinf to get documentation.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Is your passenger window problem the fact that you've pressed the window lock button on the driver's door console? :)
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

toxo wrote:Is your passenger window problem the fact that you've pressed the window lock button on the driver's door console? :)

I swear to god if this is the reason, I will explode. I'll check in a bit when I go out next. :)
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Put the ABS bulb back in - it's probably flashing a fault code, which you can use to figure out what's wrong with it!

I'll be in MK later if you want me to come and prod anything.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

What sort of time would you be around? I'd appreciate it if you don't mind being utterly disgusted at the condition of the car. :D
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

6/half6ish
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Awesome, I could meet you at the pub if that makes life easy? Being as I live on its doorstep, practically. It just might be worth getting a second pair of eyes to spot any potential problems with the MOT. :D
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

You might have to expand on 'the pub' - I know of quite a few and I'm not trying all of them :lol:
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Oh, I meant the regular IMOC meet pub. :D
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Done. I'll be in a noisy Honda.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

It's ok, you'll see these blingin' (awful) wheels with a big gay wing on my '2. ;)

See you then! :thumleft:
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Here is the post to confirm I am in fact an idiot, window lock was on.
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Tsia wrote:Here is the post to confirm I am in fact an idiot, window lock was on.
haha Classic! :lol:
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
MR2O12

Post by MR2O12 »

You dont need a spedo to pass an mot or millage unless its gone backwards

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”