How rare are the tintops?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

malwhiterev3

How rare are the tintops?

Post by malwhiterev3 »

Hi
Im trying to sell my rev 3 tintop at the minute, you may have seen in in the for sale section on here but having hardly any interest at all!

I know its an auto but its a REV 3 and in my opinion the best colour, white with black wheels. I looked high and low for a tin top when I bought it and couldnt find many around so surprised at the lack of interest this time round.

So just want to know what is the demand like for the tin tops?
Road_Rebel

Re: How rare are the tintops?

Post by Road_Rebel »

This is just my opinion but the MK2 is now a car which is sort after by people who want a "Drivers" car. The mk3 is out so if people want something a little more sporty but don't care all that much for driving, this is their option.

So this being a drivers a car, real drivers are not going to want an automatic...

Let me re-state, this is just my opinion...
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

have to agree, again in my opinion people looking for one is as a second car (like i did) so for summer months t-bar or sun roof all day long.

i dont think its the tintop thats the problem - its the auto box
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

i have to agree aswell. anyone who would want the tintop over the tbar is looking for stuctural stiffness over summer comfort. The only ones who do that are looking for performance, so an auto box is out of the question.
ashley

Post by ashley »

malwhiterev3 wrote:Hi
Im trying to sell my rev 3 tintop at the minute, you may have seen in in the for sale section on here but having hardly any interest at all!

I know its an auto but its a REV 3 and in my opinion the best colour, white with black wheels. I looked high and low for a tin top when I bought it and couldnt find many around so surprised at the lack of interest this time round.

Tin tops are not rare, plenty around. What is becoming "rarer" is a tin top chassis without any rust on it, especially the rear sills.

As the others have said- the problem with your car/ price is the auto box- people just do not want an automatic NA MR2.

To give you an idea- I've been looking at your for sale ad a few times, I would be very tempted to buy your car just for the chassis if it is in the condition it looks to be in, I would use it to reshell my track car which has suffered from some rust on the rear sills (I've repaired one side but have been putting off cutting out the other side).
In this case the autobox would go in the bin, and the engine probably ripped apart for spares, the wheels, lazy eye kit etc would also be of no use, so the price would need to reflect this...and it's already a pretty cheap car.

It's a shame- it looks like a nice car, it's just not a popular version without a gear box. Try sticking it on ebay/ auto trader/ etc.

Failing that be prepared to sell it for less to someone looking for a solid shell...(if you do that give me a shout first :mrgreen: )

Good luck :thumleft:
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Exactly why I bought my Rev 2 turbo; I wanted a weekend driver's car that would offer more excitement than my MK5 Golf GTI and yet be economical to run (20 yrs old = classic car insurance).

My rev 2 tin top has a number of faults that I'm slowly working through before I take it on the annual Nurburgring trip, but rust on the sill is thankfully not one of them. :)
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

Your car ticks alot of right boxes, its the best colour, tin top and no rust. The only problem for me if I was to buy it would be the auto box, although some people would prefer an auto - its not for me.

Im sure if you hold out a bit longer it will definately sell!
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

+1 on all of the above I'm afraid

The MK2 is now definately a drivers car and primarily for most people is used for summer weekends and track days. Unfortunately for you a lot of people will be put off by an auto box - it gives a slower, less responsive car with less control and more to go wrong!

The first thing on my check list when I was looking for an MR2 was it MUST be a manual.

Sorry :silent:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Road_Rebel

Post by Road_Rebel »

KarlBristol wrote:The first thing on my check list when I was looking for an MR2 was it MUST be a manual.

A maual box is a must for ANY car i look to purchase!

The only advantage for an auto box in my eyes is for Town/Commuting cars and nothing else!
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

the thing with tin tops is most people want t-bars

autos are usally slower than manuals, you cant engine break in an auto, and use 10% more petrol i have heard.

When i was looking for my mr2 it had to be a t-bar.
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

alanmr2turbo wrote:the thing with tin tops is most people want t-bars

When i was looking for my mr2 it had to be a t-bar.

I was the opposite, I wanted tin top only. I suppose everyone has their own reasons and preferences but to me the tin top was a better choice for me because it will never leak, its a more rigid structure and in my opinion looks better as it blends in with the rest of the car.
Loque

Post by Loque »

I agree with the above it has to be said. I wanted a manual first over everything else, then I wanted leather. If possible I'd have gone for a tintop after that, but it I was never able to find a car with leather and a tintop. I'm not sure they exist.

Stick with it, try eBay/Gumtree/Autotrader.

GLWS
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

horses for courses, i preferred a tintop due to it's stifness (and honestly, how many sunny days do we get over here so you could get the glass panels off).
Auto is not the preferred box as it's much longer gears than manual = a bit slower.
Your car looks pretty good tho, polish it up, more pictures, someone will come along.
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
malwhiterev3

Auto Box

Post by malwhiterev3 »

Thanks all for the replies, looks like everyone pretty much agrees along the same lines. Having owned both tin tops and targa I would always go with the tin tops in future, purely because it was never sunny enough to take the roof off and they look so much better.

As for the auto box, ive had a manual MR2 and just purchased a 6 speed RX8. Yes the manual box is more for real drivers but I do also enjoy the smoothnes of the auto box and the fact you can alsways keep 2 hand on the wheel! the power button is also excellent for extra revs and a bit more grunt .

I will keep the faith and hold out for a decent offer. Very tempted to keep it now ive bought the Mazda, feel a bit guilty!

Have already listed on ebay and gumtree but not got round to polishing yet!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

ashman wrote:
To give you an idea- I've been looking at your for sale ad a few times, I would be very tempted to buy your car just for the chassis if it is in the condition it looks to be in, I would use it to reshell my track car which has suffered from some rust on the rear sills (I've repaired one side but have been putting off cutting out the other side).
In this case the autobox would go in the bin, and the engine probably ripped apart for spares, the wheels, lazy eye kit etc would also be of no use, so the price would need to reflect this...and it's already a pretty cheap car.

Tbh I was looking at his ad with the same intent, although my shell isnt terrible rust wise but more cosmeticly. The only thing is that hes so far away from me so I didnt realy fancy driving all that way tbh.
malwhiterev3

can be delivered.....

Post by malwhiterev3 »

Like I said in the ad, dont be put off by the distance, delivery is available as long as buyer covered the cost. Obviously though this would but the price up to an amount that might not be suitable if too far away but worth considering
craig

Post by craig »

malwhiterev3 wrote:Hi

hard tops aren't rare. Some prefer t bar, some prefer hard top..

I had a T bar, sold it and bought a hard top as my T bar used to leak.

Would say the demand for t bar and hard top wouldn't be far off split 50/50

Did used to love taking the roof out in sun etc, but that was way outweighed by getting pi$$ed on in the rain :mrgreen:
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Good luck, so many times I've looked at cars to buy and been reading the ad thinking this is perfect then read that it's an auto, again I understand in a daily driver but for a fun weekend summer car, got to be manual...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
Nails

Post by Nails »

RedMR² wrote:

hard tops aren't rare. Some prefer t bar, some prefer hard top..

I had a T bar, sold it and bought a hard top as my T bar used to leak.

Would say the demand for t bar and hard top wouldn't be far off split 50/50

Did used to love taking the roof out in sun etc, but that was way outweighed by getting pi$$ed on in the rain :mrgreen:

same here, after having several leaky targas/t-bars and then 2 t-bar's that both leaked i bought a tintop. they do look better also imo, the car looks more balanced

but for the seller, an n/a and a slushbox is only going to appeal to some one who wants the poser appeal, and they would probs want something newer.
Torero

Post by Torero »

Kayjay0_7 had a tin top auto and did a V6 engine swap with a manual gearbox, so it's easily doable. I am sure that has to be an option for a potential buyer, Mal.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”