turbo exhaust

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

4ndee

turbo exhaust

Post by 4ndee »

Hey just wondering. I used to have a japspeed on my rev 3 na and I used to love the popping and burble. It was really loud though. Now I have a quiet twin turbo exhaust and miss the noise, are japspeeds quieter on a turbo?
Johnr32

Re: turbo exhaust

Post by Johnr32 »

Japspeed exhaust on a turbo is pretty loud, although its the only exhaust I have used so cant really compare.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Turbos usually are quieter with a similar/same exhaust because the turbo itself acts as a sort of muffler.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Tsia wrote:Turbos usually are quieter with a similar/same exhaust because the turbo itself acts as a sort of muffler.

This ^^. Also depends on whether its decatted or not. Decatting adds like 10 dB.
Marf

Post by Marf »

dantheman wrote:
Tsia wrote:Turbos usually are quieter with a similar/same exhaust because the turbo itself acts as a sort of muffler.

This ^^. Also depends on whether its decatted or not. Decatting adds like 10 dB.

maybe one or two, but not 10.

10dB would mean decatting makes the exhaust 10 times louder.

If decatting added 10db to my RM01a exhaust, I'd be deaf!
mistertubby2

Post by mistertubby2 »

4ndee wrote:Hey just wondering. I used to have a japspeed on my rev 3 na and I used to love the popping and burble. It was really loud though. Now I have a quiet twin turbo exhaust and miss the noise, are japspeeds quieter on a turbo?
Hi I had to fit bungs in mine very loud without.
MR2O12

Post by MR2O12 »

My n/a is loud with mongoose exhaust barks like a scooby under full throttle. Drove turbo with same setup much mote quiet. But there was other noises going on!
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Marf wrote:
10dB would mean decatting makes the exhaust 10 times louder.

careful now, yes scientifically it means the exhaust is 10 times louder, but 6db represents a doubling in percieved volume, so its only going to be about 4 times louder.

but if you consider that the regulated noise limit is something like 78dB, then how come my car is 101dB with a mongoose (quiet exhaust), decat and arc induction box (which you can barely hear). I seem to recall before i decatted i was getting a figure in the low 90's, after decat its in the 100's.

Also deafness is caused at 135 dB or 125dB for sustained periods. Doubt your car is that loud.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

dantheman wrote:Also deafness is caused at 135 dB or 125dB for sustained periods. Doubt your car is that loud.

I gave myself prolonged tinitus after driving around with Luke's buddy club exhaust on for a month or two :lol:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”