Rev 5 N/A - 1st MR2

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

James-UK

Rev 5 N/A - 1st MR2

Post by James-UK »

After months of trying to decide what car I wanted, I finally set my sights on an MR2.

Finally picked up a Red Rev 5 N/A last week, on the day there happened to be torrential rain for the entire 300 mile journey back! The drive back was interesting to say the least, on the A303 at night, when the road was like a paddling pool, while driving my first RWD car. :lol:

Don't know if anyone knows the previous owners, as the car has one of the lesser known owners clubs stickers on the back window?

Got round to giving it a full clean yesterday. Rinsed, 2 bucket wash, de-tar, clay bar, washed completely again, polished with AG Super Resin then finally waxed with some Megs. Took nearly six hours but was well worth the effort! :thumleft:

Took it out today for it's first 'proper' drive up on Dartmoor, as the roads were nice and dry. Really suprised by how well it handles, felt great around the long sweeping bends. My last car being a 1.25 Fiesta so you can imagine the difference. :D

Planning to keep it as it is for now, with only a few things I need to look into. Namely the remote locking only working within about 2 metres of the car (is that normal?), and sorting out a minor chip in the windscreen. Also thinking about getting a smaller wheel, as the standard one does seem slightly too large for city driving!

Overall I'm extremely pleased with the car, MPG is actually very reasonable, good amount of power, great driving position and most importantly, the gf loves it. :lol:
craig

Re: Rev 5 N/A - 1st MR2

Post by craig »

Awesome looking 2 buddy :D
JayUK91

Post by JayUK91 »

Nice :thumleft:

Reminds me, I must clean mine soon. It hasn't looked that shiny for a long while!
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

:thumleft:

James-UK wrote:remote locking only working within about 2 metres of the car (is that normal?), and sorting out a minor chip in the windscreen. Also thinking about getting a smaller wheel, as the standard one does seem slightly too large for city driving!

Short range remote locking is a common problem.
I found that mine degraded over the years to it practically not working at all. Thankfully all sorted by Sbits :clap:

Know what you mean about the steering wheel. If you can get one from a JDM rev5 - they *may* have the same fitment for airbag etc.

PS. I am liking the GB Euro number plates :wink:
James-UK

Post by James-UK »

RedMR² wrote:Awesome looking 2 buddy :D

JayUK91 wrote:Nice :thumleft:

Reminds me, I must clean mine soon. It hasn't looked that shiny for a long while!

JohnnyC wrote::thumleft:

James-UK wrote:remote locking only working within about 2 metres of the car (is that normal?), and sorting out a minor chip in the windscreen. Also thinking about getting a smaller wheel, as the standard one does seem slightly too large for city driving!

Short range remote locking is a common problem.
I found that mine degraded over the years to it practically not working at all. Thankfully all sorted by Sbits :clap:

Know what you mean about the steering wheel. If you can get one from a JDM rev5 - they *may* have the same fitment for airbag etc.

PS. I am liking the GB Euro number plates :wink:

Thanks guys. :thumleft:

As for the remote locking, did he tell you what he had to do to fix it? I'm tempted to give my local Toyota garage a call to see if they've got any ideas / able to sort it.

Do Celica wheels fit? They seem very similar and much more common. Just want something slightly smaller so I don't feel like I'm steering a boat around town!

Normally I'm not keen on GB plates, but for some reason it seems to make the car look more modern. :-k

Made my first overtake today up on the moors. Car makes a lovely sound above 4K revs in 2nd. Especially compared to the unbearable metallic, rattley engine sound the old fiesta made when putting your foot down. :thumleft:
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

Lovely looking car mate, I'm only down the road.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

James-UK wrote:As for the remote locking, did he tell you what he had to do to fix it? I'm tempted to give my local Toyota garage a call to see if they've got any ideas / able to sort it.

Yes :wink:

James-UK wrote:Do Celica wheels fit? They seem very similar and much more common. Just want something slightly smaller so I don't feel like I'm steering a boat around town!

The gen7 Celica wheel is pretty much identical to the JDM rev5 wheel. But with the Celica having OBD-II electronics I'd imagine the wiring would be different, might be wrong though.
I think the gen6 Celica was smaller than the MR2 wheel though, can't remember now.
James-UK

Post by James-UK »

4ndee wrote:Lovely looking car mate, I'm only down the road.

Cheers mate. Where abouts in Cornwall? Meets ever happen down here in the SW?

JohnnyC wrote:
James-UK wrote:As for the remote locking, did he tell you what he had to do to fix it? I'm tempted to give my local Toyota garage a call to see if they've got any ideas / able to sort it.

Yes :wink:

Trade secret? :lol: What's it roughly cost to fix, so I don't get completely mugged off by Toyota. ;)
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

Liskeard, just over the bridge. Not as far as i know mate, I tried to organise one once.
James-UK

Post by James-UK »

4ndee wrote:Liskeard, just over the bridge. Not as far as i know mate, I tried to organise one once.

Would be good to try and organise something for the summer. Even if it's just a few people.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

James-UK wrote:Namely the remote locking only working within about 2 metres of the car (is that normal?)

Yes, that's normal.
armstrong

Post by armstrong »

Ha 2 metres is lucky, mine only works when you hold it near the window! kinda defeats the point of "remote" lol.
James-UK

Post by James-UK »

Seeing these replies makes me thankful that it even works at all. :lol:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Clean, so clean! :shock: Lovely car, the paintwork has come up really well. :clap:
James-UK

Post by James-UK »

Magic Beans wrote:Clean, so clean! :shock: Lovely car, the paintwork has come up really well. :clap:

Thanks mate. I'm hoping that because it's being kept inside the paint will fade slower than most other red cars!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Smaller wheel, you say?

:twisted:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Smaller wheel, you say?

Image Replaced With URL For Quote https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 7212_o.jpg

:twisted:

:shock: Where's the ticket dispenser and folding doors? :lol: Nice wheel though.
James-UK

Post by James-UK »

Nice wheel. Picked up a cheap 2nd hand OMP wheel and tried to fit it today. Couldn't get the torx screws out the side to take the airbag off! Few people tried to loosen it but no one could get them to budge.

Bought a security Torx by mistake, but I don't see why it wouldn't work in a standard Torx as it still has the same outside pattern. :-k

Return to “Member Profiles”