Notchy gear change

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BLZ-8027

Notchy gear change

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Anyone suffer from the above ?
Ekona

Re: Notchy gear change

Post by Ekona »

Try greasing the shifter itself under the console, and also might be worth changing the bushings on the cable at the gearbox end for the TwosRus ones. Definitely get some MT 90 in the gearbox if you haven't done so already.
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Ekona wrote:Try greasing the shifter itself under the console, and also might be worth changing the bushings on the cable at the gearbox end for the TwosRus ones. Definitely get some MT 90 in the gearbox if you haven't done so already.

Done that apart from the oil ,fitted a short shift as well ,that was worse

Reason ive asked is ,when i removed the short shift, i bolted the cage direct to the car and its 100 times better ,smooth as silk now

wondered if anyone else was having issues ,and wanted to try this mod ,see if it helps ,or just a coincidence it helped me
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

FWIW, may be worth checking / changing the gearbox oil, I've just done mine ( Workshop manual says every 48k ) and put MT90 in. It does improve the shift quality a little, but won't cure more serious problems.

If you are doing the job - what does make it really easy to do is to use an oil transfer pump so you can pump in the new gearbox oil from below :

eg : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIPHON-SYPHON ... 3f0a142b34

With that, you can drain and refill the gearbox easily in 30 minutes.
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Thanks , oil change on the jobs list i think

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”