help needed fitting xbox and tv

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2nut123

help needed fitting xbox and tv

Post by mr2nut123 »

ok im a complete idiot to this so need a step by step guide from anyone here whos done this. great idea for mp3s etc. i want to buy this screen from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JEJA-7-0-Car-In-D ... dZViewItem

and then this for my xbox:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Joytech-In-Car-Po ... dZViewItem

ok, the problem is the motoized screen looks to me like it uses your cig lighter for the power, OR can you wire this into your stereos power and then use the cig lighter to power your xbox using that adapter? also, im wanting to play mp3s off my xbox, will this come out of my cars speakers or do i have to buy anything else?

any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
MegatronUK

Re: help needed fitting xbox and tv

Post by MegatronUK »

If it connects to the cigarette lighter, then you can just go straight to a 12v source instead. Make sure you install a fuse though.

How are you planning on connecting this up to your car stereo? Do you have an aftermarket one? If not, then its unlikely that you'll have aux inputs for alternative audio sources. You need a stereo with stereo phono inputs... a lot only have then as outputs....

You'll then need an xbox av cable (left & right audio + composite), connect the left and right phonos into the aux inputs on the stereo... and the composite video cable to the input on the screen. You'll get the xbox video through the screen, and if you turn your stereo to aux, you'll get the xbox sound.

Make sure you earth the xbox chassis to the car, i've had problems with noise from xboxes in cars before and have traced the problem to that on several occasions (the don't generally earth properly through the power invertor).
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

thanks for your reply,

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/car ... kds71r.asp

ive got this jvc unit in my car. will this do? what i mean is, can i link that motorised screen off ebay (see link above) to the current stereo power and then use the cig lighter adapter to power my xbox
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

No idea. It doesn't list what inputs or outputs that unit has. You'll need to know that. Sometimes you can get adaptors that convert the cd multi changer input cable (im hopgint hat head unit has at least that capability!) into rca inputs, but I've no experience with JVC kit, I exclusively use Pioneer.

Ignore the cigarette lighter... all it is is a source of 12v power. Do it yourself and take a feed from the battery (12v) with some decent gauge cable, with a fuse block near the battery, to a distribution block (ie splits one cable into 2 or more), where you can take two 12v feeds, 1 for the screen and 1 for the power invertor. You can hide all of this away and be nice and neat, whereas a cigarette lighter adaptor is going to be on show all of the time.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

thanks for the help so far. im on msn messenger if you dont mind adding me to have a chat? ([email protected]) im going to take out my headunit and have a look what connections i have. so what your saying is it would be best to take the power directly from the battery instead of using cigarette lighter power? thing is i dont know about wires from there, convertors etc so i want it easy as possible
Cliff

TFT

Post by Cliff »

When I had a screen in my MK4 Golf with a PS2, I powered the TFT Screen by directly wiring it to the car battery and used an invertor to connect the PS2 to the Car cig lighter.

HTH
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

mr2nut123 wrote:

You might want to consider getting a VGA screen, otherwise the picture can be quite woolly. (Buying from the States usually yields best prices)
I originally had a non-VGA unit and wasn't particularly happy with it, since changing it's a *lot* nicer to view.
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Be very careful if you are going to wire your battery directly to an LCD screen. You should use a power regulator as its very easy to damage the screen/shorten the life as the voltage can fluctuate from 12v to 14.4v when driving....and im sure you wouldnt want that!

HTH Graham
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

thanks for all replies. ive just bought myself an mp3 player with aux input from halfords

http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_det ... e=3&cat=33

he said this would be fine but ill need to get an av input adaptor when i fit my xbox to it. he right, think he will be he seemed to know his stuff
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

ok. ive got a tv sorted out now. i need power the xbox in my car. now ive seen a cig lighter power supply but surely taking that much power from a cig lighter is going to drain my battery, or does the lead have a built in inverter? anyone whos fitted one of these properly give us a clue to how to power the console, appreciated :)

this is the power lead i was on about:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Joytech-In-Car-Po ... dZViewItem

Luke
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

anyone?
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

Hi, you can get power inverters from almost anywhere for cheaper than that! maplins halfords, i use one in my car for my laptop, just make sure you get one with surge protection!

the one i have is only 130 watts though(check xbox does not exceed!), i hardwired to battery to eradicate any chance of blowing fuse for cig lighter(mine has inline fuse so add if yours hasnt!), and lets be honest, you dont want a wire constantly in you lighter!

Sorted!

Return to “ICE and Security”