[Mk2] [Turbo] Wilwood Brake Upgrade Kit. Advice please.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

minky350

[Mk2] [Turbo] Wilwood Brake Upgrade Kit. Advice please.

Post by minky350 »

I have a Rev 3 turbo which is being overhauled and will be my weekend car and it will find its way onto track occasionaly. It is standard apart from the breathing though upping the power later may happen if I make it a dedicated track toy.

The brakes are fine though I planned to fit grooved discs, braided lines, decent pads and 5.1.

In searching ebay I stumbled across this, the Wilwood big brake kit with 296mm discs;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200657100345? ... 1423.l2649

Can anyone advise if this is a worthwhile mod. I think they look great but need a little more to justify them!!

Cheers
Tsia

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Wilwood Brake Upgrade Kit. Advice please.

Post by Tsia »

Nic

Post by Nic »

To maintain the front/rear brake balance you'd also need to upgrade the rear brakes.

I'd personally spend the money optimising the stock brakes, I'd also add a Cusco brake master cylinder stopper to the list to help firm up the pedal feel.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Nic wrote:To maintain the front/rear brake balance you'd also need to upgrade the rear brakes.

I'd personally spend the money optimising the stock brakes, I'd also add a Cusco brake master cylinder stopper to the list to help firm up the pedal feel.

not so...had one, so has my mate...it's pukka and doesn't affect the balance or owt at all...just pulls your face off...we both had standard back discs but mintex pads...those groovey drilled things are just $hit...one thing I will say is, the discs will warp cos they;re not floating type.
Nic

Post by Nic »

djpkins wrote:not so...had one, so has my mate...it's pukka and doesn't affect the balance or owt at all..

Fitting larger front discs and calipers will effect the front/rear brake balance, shifting more of the stopping power to the front wheels, which will effect the stability of the back end under heavy braking.

Good article on the subject here:

http://www.turnfast.com//tech_brakes/brakes_balancing
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

The stock brakes are fine. Heres a simple test. Next time you are on track get up to 100 mph and hit the brakes. (assuming no ABS) If you can lock your wheels then the brakes are good enough.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

dantheman wrote:The stock brakes are fine. Heres a simple test. Next time you are on track get up to 100 mph and hit the brakes. (assuming no ABS) If you can lock your wheels then the brakes are good enough.

^^ is utter crap. In fact both statements are utter crap but if you're happy then all is good in the world :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

All I know is, that after fitting my kit, I wouldn't go back to stock calipers unless I had to ;)
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Never had any problems with stock brakes but you have to get the best pads.
I would never just fit a front upgrade you need a matched and tested front and rear set
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

I have 324 mm rear discs on stock rev3 calipers and 324mm fronts with 300zx nissan ally 4-pot calipers and a 1" hilux master cylinder... My brakes are AMAZING! i can stop soo fast however i do wish i could have a tiny little more rear bias, which i can sort with the aid of better pads :D
ashley

Post by ashley »

I've got stock rev3 calipers, stock discs, braded lines and Carbotech XP8 pads and my brakes really are AMAZING...I've never been in a car that will stop faster from 100, and frequently out-brakes most other cars on track.....and I've got no front / rear bias issues...

:eye:

The only reasons I would swap my set up would be to use lighter calipers to save unsprung mass, and to use a different pad that isn't as dusty...
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

i know the carbotechs are the greatest pad in the world but they aint the cheapest either. Folks that have gone down the path of bigger discs / different calipers all agree the brakes are totally transformed. Of course the final element in that is the tyres, thats the limit of grip :D Personally I'd never go back to stock brakes either (though I am using Toyota pads in the rear) If you look at the number of threads by folks with sticking calipers, they aint the greatest when they get old :D
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

ashman wrote:I've got stock rev3 calipers, stock discs, braded lines and Carbotech XP8 pads and my brakes really are AMAZING...I've never been in a car that will stop faster from 100, and frequently out-brakes most other cars on track.....and I've got no front / rear bias issues...

:eye:

The only reasons I would swap my set up would be to use lighter calipers to save unsprung mass, and to use a different pad that isn't as dusty...

I use the same setup on track l agree totally.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Anyone using Endless MX72 pads? Tested a lot of pads on my MKIV Supra and they were by far the best fast road/track pads. Need a new a set of pads soon on the MR2 and wondering how the Carbotech XP8 compare?
b16hbg

Post by b16hbg »

Just ordered a set of xp8s for the front, supposed to be pretty awesome! Should think so for the price!
minky350

Post by minky350 »

How much do the XP8 cost?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

b16hbg wrote:Just ordered a set of xp8s for the front, supposed to be pretty awesome! Should think so for the price!

I hope you have a matching set for the rears, it's accepted that mixing these pads is not a good idea though the folks using them above will be better placed than me to say :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

b16hbg wrote:Just ordered a set of xp8s for the front, supposed to be pretty awesome! Should think so for the price!

Excellent- now order yourself a pair for the back as well- you really don't want to mix and match with these pads- you'll end up locking your front wheels up the whole time :thumleft: :thumleft:

You might want to get your disks refaced as well...
b16hbg

Post by b16hbg »

180 from rogue, dont know anywhere cheaper.
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll look into it. Anyone recommend a disc to use with these?

Return to “Modifications”