[Mk2] [Generic] DIY Alarm wiring ?

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Spidey

[Mk2] [Generic] DIY Alarm wiring ?

Post by Spidey »

I've a remote start car alarm on my car but the range isn't great. I wanted to get a better range alarm.

So, i was just wondering - would wiring the alarm be something that would be doable DIY ?

I am good at following 12v electrics - and my assumption is that some of the wiring will be similar e.g. wires to windows, hood etc

I know there will be a multitude of wires going from module to module within the alarm but i'd suspect that the amount that then interface with the car functions would be limited ?

Any DIYers tried an alarm ?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] DIY Alarm wiring ?

Post by toxo »

I have DIYd my alarm in the past, basically because the 'thatcham certified' installation wasn't worth the paper it was written on!

You will need to get the installation manual for the alarm, which details what the wires do and how to connect them. Alarms usually don't ship with these manuals, they are for the installers eyes only. However you can usually find them with the minimum of googling. The actual (2 or 4 depending whether the circuit in the alarm is single or dual) immobiliser wires will be black, so you will need to note where they came from and connect your new alarm up in the same way (same polarity and direction in the circuit).

It's not that hard to be honest, no more difficult than installing an EBC or a complicated car stereo setup. A wiring diagram of the car would be helpful but there are plenty of people on here that can help you out with which wires you need to interrupt, if you can't figure it out yourself.

Of course, you could just try replacing the battery in your fob and extending the aerial on your existing alarm unit ;)
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Spidey

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] DIY Alarm wiring ?

Post by Spidey »

Cool - i've done my AVCR, Steroes, gauges etc in the past.

So, i will give it a go. I will make sure to check that the alarm i get comes with the wiring diagram.

I tried the battery - but the unit is a bit inconsistent. Sometimes it will work from say 100m away. Then other times, i can be 10m away from it and it won't work. And at this 10 range, the alarm on/off will work.

Return to “ICE and Security”