[Mk2] [Turbo] Remote Central Locking / Lock Mechanics

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Marlowe

[Mk2] [Turbo] Remote Central Locking / Lock Mechanics

Post by Marlowe »

I recently impulse bought a Rev2 MK2 Turbo and am trying to work through the (growing) list of problems with it.

One of them is the remote central locking. The car has a Toad alarm with remote central locking, but it only currently works on the passenger side. The key manually unlocks the door fine, although occasionally the barrel seems to 'stick' and need a bit of play to unlock (WD40 hasn't helped). The Door Lock switch inside the car also works, but it feels very loose in action compared to the passenger side - it doesn't spring between modes in the same way.

I've removed the driver's door card and looked inside. When the remote central locking is used the lock does try to respond (the lock starts to move) but doesn't complete the lock / unlock on the driver's door. If the solenoid is faulty I'm unsure if the lock would still respond, so this, coupled with the 'loose' sensation of the door lock switch makes me wonder if it's instead the door latch unit which is in need of replacing.

Has anyone any experience of similar? I'm more than happy to have a crack at replacing the parts myself, but don't want to risk spending cash on the wrong parts as there's a tonne of things that need sorting with the car (not least of which is the oil leak...)
Marlowe

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Remote Central Locking / Lock Mechanics

Post by Marlowe »

Sorry, realised this should be in the electrical section.

I've had another look at this - the lock motor appears to try to work (you can hear the 'clunk' as the lock mechanism tries to shift, and see some visible movement on the locking & opening control link), but not enough to to lock / unlock remotely. The only way for it to work remains by hand with the key in the lock or the door on the unlock switch.

Does this mean the lock motor's the culprit? I've been looking at the repair manual and I'm feeling a bit daunted as it says to get at the lock motor I need to remove the whole window assembly - is this right?

Return to “ICE and Security”