Big brake kit problems! Help!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bolton

Big brake kit problems! Help!

Post by bolton »

Hi all came to fit my big brake kit today and found i cannot get the rear calipers with the new pads in over the new disk!
I have the Cantfindausername brackets, Correct discs and ebc yellow stuff pads!
I have wound the piston right in! So far that the back pad falls through!
I can fit the new bigger discs with my old pads or the new pads with the old disc! Lol! But i want new disc new pad!
Help please!

Ps im yet to try the front!
bolton

Re: Big brake kit problems! Help!

Post by bolton »

The brakes discs are grooved ones brought from CRN and the pads are part number dp41107r
uglee

Post by uglee »

You sure your sliders are fully extended and move freely?
bolton

Post by bolton »

Yeah i slid the slider fully out and the piston fully in but the rear pads drops out! Well stressful! Ive had the brakes waitin a year! Lol
uglee

Post by uglee »

Where the outermost pad sits against the face of the caliper, is there a build up of rust/crud? Sometimes it makes all the difference.

If it's 'almost there' a light tap with a hammer can help things along but I stress no smashing the things on :lol:
bolton

Post by bolton »

Yeah ill have to take them apart and have another go! But it didnt seem to be close! Lol! Are yellow stuff pads known not to fit?
Or have i been sent the wrong discs?
bolton

Post by bolton »

The rear disk i got hear measures about (tape measure) 324mm diameter and 24mm thick! Does that sound right?
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

sounds about right, this is the Mazda RX8 front disc yes? I have the same kit fitted and it all works very nice
bolton

Post by bolton »

Yeah thats the one! The ebc pads seen very thick to me and they got some brake in coating which doesnt help!
Ive tryed alsorts to get it together! But its jus like theres not enough room inbetween the pads for the disk!
Alan did you have new discs and pads when u first fitted the kit?
Cheers
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

yes, i used brand new stock Toyota pads bought from a dealer as I figured with the bigger disc I could keep a softer pad material. The std MR2 discs are 2mm narrow than the Mazdas which is pretty neat but I used new pads and new discs and it all fitted fine. It's the carrier that holds the pads in place, do they fit in there over the disc ok?
bolton

Post by bolton »

Im going to take jus the carrier off and check the fitment! Im also goin to check it has rev2+ brake calipers on the rear, although it is a rev2 so dont see why not?
Failing that im thinking of sanding 1mm of each rear pad using a flat block and some 80 gritt paper!

If the disks are 2mm thicker than standard and the pads have brake in compound on them this could be the problem! Lol!

Ill report back with pictures if all else fails! Or if anyone has any more ideas get posting! I want new brakes! Lol!
Cheers
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

the bigger brakes are awesome :twisted: 8) Sorry to hear you are having these issues as the kit is fab and I dont know of anyone else having issues with it :( Let us know what you find caused the issue
smartdj

Post by smartdj »

i have the front fitted up all fine with red stuff pads. the only issue i had on them was the banjo bolt was to long so insted of using the two banjo washers i used one phat haudrolic one and a single skinny one. problem solve.

ill keep you problem in mind when ordering pads for my rears when i order.
ill probaly stick to standard rev3 pads
fishface

Post by fishface »

bolton wrote:Im going to take jus the carrier off and check the fitment! Im also goin to check it has rev2+ brake calipers on the rear, although it is a rev2 so dont see why not?
Failing that im thinking of sanding 1mm of each rear pad using a flat block and some 80 gritt paper!

If the disks are 2mm thicker than standard and the pads have brake in compound on them this could be the problem! Lol!

Ill report back with pictures if all else fails! Or if anyone has any more ideas get posting! I want new brakes! Lol!
Cheers

:thumleft: Check what number is stamped on the rear caliper! It sounds like you have the wrong calipers! I think its 16V on the Rev1 and 22V on the ones you need? :thumleft:
bolton

Post by bolton »

I can see a 22 through the spoke of the wheel stamped on the caliper! Was going to have another go today but the weathers let me down! Lol!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

bolton wrote:I can see a 22 through the spoke of the wheel stamped on the caliper! Was going to have another go today but the weathers let me down! Lol!

well at least that means you have the right calipers! Try and take some pics when you get a chance to work on this and we can see where your problems are :) I know new pads are tight in there but like I say mine fitted ok, neat but not rubbing.
bolton

Post by bolton »

here are a few pictures of the rear disc and pads! please let me know if you think the are right/wrong. cheers

with spiggot ring fitted

raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

nice socks :oldtongue: just need to fit the carrier over that lot then the caliper.. damn this Bank Holiday weather :(
bolton

Post by bolton »

Everything looks fine doesnt it! Lol!
So take the carrier off get that to fit then fit the caliper back on?
Socks were a crimbo present! Pmsl!
bolton

Post by bolton »

\:D/
Got them on today!!!
It was a case of not using the ebc anti vibration stuff on the rear of the pads and a little bit of gentle force! Lol!
My old mintex pads didnt have the anti vibration backing pads anyway and the pedal felt fine so......

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”