[Mk2] [NA] 30mm A safe height to lower suspension??

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

AlexD

[Mk2] [NA] 30mm A safe height to lower suspension??

Post by AlexD »

Hi all, Went to pacific works today and met luke for the first time. top notch bloke, spent loads of time explaining stuff to me and didn't kick me out after I asked about 200 questions :lol:

So im gonna get a Non LSD gearbox and the rev 5 engine to replace my knackered rev2 gearbox and FE engine. Whilst quizzing about the car and possible fixes we got onto suspension, I live near london and there are a few good ol' pot holes and speed bumps. Is lowering the car 30mm a bad idea?
Or will she be a happy better handling car?

Any advice / good stories welcome :)
JayUK91

Re: [Mk2] [NA] 30mm A safe height to lower suspension??

Post by JayUK91 »

30mm is about the norm if lowering just on springs. I have mine lowered 30mm and it does scrape on the most extreme of speed bumps, but day to day use is fine.
Hez

Post by Hez »

I just changed to 30mm drop, Its fine round where i live and we have our fair share of speed bumps. Nice compromise between looks and practicality.
ShrewdPhoenix

Post by ShrewdPhoenix »

I had Tein springs (30-40mm drop) on my rev 1 and that cleared most speed bumps easily. Tended to avoid them if I could though as the springs were so stiff I had to roll over the nastier ones .

Handling and looks were 200% improved, though :D
Nic

Post by Nic »

I currently have Tein S-Tech springs fitted which lower the car F39mm/R43mm, this makes for a very firm ride, great on good road surfaces but they crash over potholes. The Tein spring rates - F2.75kgf/mm R4.9kgf/mm - are relatively soft but there's just not enough suspension travel left due to the low ride height.

Looking at replacing my springs with some that'll lower the car around 20-25mm instead.
AlexD

Post by AlexD »

thanks for the info :)

Return to “Mechanical”