[Mk2] [NA] what amp do i use?

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

straughton

[Mk2] [NA] what amp do i use?

Post by straughton »

im stuck i want 2 of these 10" subs but have no clue on which amp would get the most out of the 2 subs :/ cheapest option available as i am skint :(
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_336 ... 1051J.html
Neil_turbo

Re: [Mk2] [NA] what amp do i use?

Post by Neil_turbo »

are you planning to amp up any speakers aswell, or just the subs? as that will decide on how many channels you need on the amp

The subs look to be dual 4 ohm, so that gives you good flexibility on how to run them, i.e. in series or parallel :thumleft:
straughton

Post by straughton »

Just the subs. If i.wanted to add updated speakers later i could just buy another amp? Cheers for the help
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

unfortunately, "get the most", and "budget", dont always come hand in hand!

without looking into all the hundreds of makes, models and prices, so sticking with audiobahn, one middle ground option could be looking along the lines of this, in terms of 2 channels, and 2 ohm rating

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audiobahn-A8002 ... B004L6IKYC

As the subs are dual 4 ohm voicecoils, each one can run at 2 ohm in parallel, or 8 ohm in series.

The less the ohms, the more power, but this will put more strain on the amp. In theory there is less stability (or SQ) at lower Ohms, but depends what you are after really.

there really are loads of options, you could run all 4 voiecoils in parallel to give 1 ohm stable, but not many amps will support this, and will cost lots more.

Best budget option could be to run a combination of voicecoils in series / subs in parallel or vice versa to give 4 ohm, then any mono amp at 4 ohm will suffice.

other than that its a case of choosing your brand and budget!

HTH
Neil
straughton

Post by straughton »

Thanks mAte. Iv already got a shitty fusion amp from my old system what specs are:

69 Watts RMS per Channel @ 4 Ohms and 1% THD+N
92 Watts RMS per Channel @ 2 Ohms and 1% THD+N
180 Watts RMS Bridged @ 4 Ohms and 1% THD+N

Max Power Rating: 300 Watts
THD @ Rated Power 1kHz/100Hz: 0.1%
Channel Seperation: 50
Frequency Response Hz (-3dB): 10Hz - 40kHz
Signal to Noise: >90
Variable Low Pass Filter: 6dB/Octave
Variable High Pass Filter: 6dB/Octave
Input Sensitivity: 0.2-8V
Input Impedance: 20K
Fuse Rating: 25A
Could i use this amp as a source for my front or rear speakers?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Shameless plug coming - I've got an Alpine MRV-F405 4/3/2 channel amp I've just pulled from my tubby, which I'll be listing for sale on here later today hopefully. :thumleft:
Draven

Post by Draven »

Magic Beans wrote:Shameless plug coming - I've got an Alpine MRV-F405 4/3/2 channel amp I've just pulled from my tubby, which I'll be listing for sale on here later today hopefully. :thumleft:

Thought i'd bought that one? lol

Scratch that it is a different one.. :shock:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Draven wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:Shameless plug coming - I've got an Alpine MRV-F405 4/3/2 channel amp I've just pulled from my tubby, which I'll be listing for sale on here later today hopefully. :thumleft:

Thought i'd bought that one? lol

You got the other one, the F407. This thing was fully loaded with all manner of noise boxes, which I've slowly removed. A 60kg weight saving isn't to be sniffed at :wink:
Draven

Post by Draven »

It is a bit shocking.. :-) I'm sitting on my hands so I don't buy this one as well. :shock: I think my 2 channel one is good.

Any other alpine stuff in the car.. Other than amps??
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Only a huge fuse in a holder and the two (yes two :shock: ) head units (CD/EQ and CD/Tuner). which are also being pulled and consolidated into one unit, leaving room for DIN gauges :D

Drop me a PM if you want, so the OP can have his thread back :wink:

Return to “ICE and Security”