4AGZE engine transplant, anyone know of it being done?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Icsunonove

4AGZE engine transplant, anyone know of it being done?

Post by Icsunonove »

I've asked on the Roadster forum but got no joy. Does anyone know if anyone has done this transplant and got any information about it?

I know the other upgrade options and my options are all open at the moment but I am interested if someone has done this before.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Ekona

Re: 4AGZE engine transplant, anyone know of it being done?

Post by Ekona »

Not that I know of, and it seems like a bit of a backwards step if I'm honest.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Ekona wrote:Not that I know of, and it seems like a bit of a backwards step if I'm honest.

On age maybe but that is a brilliant engine even by today's standards, also, Tom knows the 4AGZE inside and out so I can why he is posing the question..
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I think retro fitting the GZE would be a great conversion, it's in competition with the 2zz overall in terms of power, but would make a great swap all the same. You could even build a C series Frankenbox out of a Roadster 6 speed and a Mk1 box so it would be 6 speed as well , i've built many 6 speed hybrid gearboxes this way for the Mk1, so it woul dbe more than doable in the Roadster :thumleft:
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Can you make the n/a a 5 speed Paul? Id love a huge 6th gear so that when cruising the revs are low.
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Hi Alex, i'm not sure i understand your question, can you elaborate a little?
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

think he meant can you make a na 6 speed/...
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

PW@Woodsport wrote: You could even build a C series Frankenbox out of a Roadster 6 speed and a Mk1 box so it would be 6 speed as well , i've built many 6 speed hybrid gearboxes this way for the Mk1, so it woul dbe more than doable in the Roadster :thumleft:

Paul, can you elaborate on this? I would not want to fit an E51 gearbox because good ones with working synchros are becoming rare and it's a complicated box that I don't want to start rebuilding. So I'd be looking for something more commonly available.

Are you saying I could get a Mk1 standard AW11 NA C51 or whatever it is and fit the internals from a 6 speed Roadster box :?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Hi Tom, if you take a 6 speed roadster gearbox and use its internals and centre casing, and use the bellhousing part of the Mk1 gearbox (it all bolts together all being C series derived) , you will have built a 6 speed gearbox that bolts to a 4a-ge.

I've built a few for Mk1 owners, not a cheap thing to do but works really well. Make sure you swap the Mk3 bearings into the Mk1 bellhousing as well. The even better news is it will still bolt up to the Mk3 chassis.

Oh if you use the GZE you will need to swap the clutch friction plate for a Mk1 NA or Mk3 one (same unit), the GZE friction plate has a larger spline, but keep the GZE pressure plate.

Here is the Mk3 internals sitting in the Mk1 bellhousing....

Other good news is the 6 speed roadster has LSD, which works in the Mk1 case.

Driveshaft wise in the roadster the Mk3 shafts will fit this new box, but you will need to make a bearing carrier bracket for the GZE block (no biggy, done it loads of times) or you can use a pair of Mk2 NA driveshafts, swap the Mk3 ABS rings onto them and you'll be good to go, but you'll lose the supported shaft setup.

The above is probably tech info overload but i hope it helps.
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Wow, that sounds brilliant Paul :shock:

Food for thought definitely.....

Thanks very much for the information :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”