[Mk2] [Generic] What adaptor/ISO lead do I need??

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

KarlBristol

[Mk2] [Generic] What adaptor/ISO lead do I need??

Post by KarlBristol »

Hello,

I'm trying to return my MR2 MK2 to standard'ish, and want to tfit an original headunit.

Today I had the following unit delivered

Which has these fittings on the back:

I have 3 fittings currently, none of which fit :(
These are the leads I have in the car:

What ISO/adaptor do I need in order to make my new headunit fit?
Thank you so much
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
craig

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] What adaptor/ISO lead do I need??

Post by craig »

Wouldn't your car have had a single DIN unit fitted originally? ISO connectors are required to fit aftermarket units to the stock wiring loom.

Not entirely sure on the wiring differences between cars that had single tape decks/cd decks and the twin units :-k
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

RedMR² wrote:Wouldn't your car have had a single DIN unit fitted originally? ISO connectors are required to fit aftermarket units to the stock wiring loom.

Not entirely sure on the wiring differences between cars that had single tape decks/cd decks and the twin units :-k

When I bought mine it had a sony xplod single din unit and a rather individual hand cut metal MR2 sign.

Unfortunately I don't know when it last saw an original headunit :( hence I have no clue what the wiring should be
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Canopus

Post by Canopus »

Curiously I'm doing the exact opposite in replacing the original premium system in my J reg MR2. The unit pictured is not the same as the original I have in my car and I suspect it comes from a much later version (maybe not even a MR2?) so you may have some wiring differences.

Sorry can't help with the wiring but knowing the unit you have was probably never fitted into your car may be of some help.

Good luck

Geoff
Canopus

Post by Canopus »

As an add on the standard wiring adaptor when replacing the original stereo

April 1990 to 1999 is PC9 - 406 (reactive system with remote amps)

Jan 1994 to 2000 is PC9 - 411

I have just taken delivery of both and am awaiting delivery of new head unit (may have problems in getting this as seller is very slow!!). If it doesn't show up I'll name the company so others can be wary.

Geoff
2tmike

ICE

Post by 2tmike »

Hi Karl,
You won't find an adapter to do what you need....reason is that the toyota male loom plugs look like they have been replaced on your car. Normally the adapters you can buy plug into the Toyota loom and them allow you to adapt to whatever sockets the head unit has. The only way you can go to use this head unit is to find the male end plugs from an MR2 and connect into your loom in place of the plugs that are there. The standard MR2 loom plugs will fit this head unit for sure, I've got the same one in one of my cars. I'll have a look to see if I've got a piece of loom with the plugs on
Cheers
Mike
2tmike

ICE

Post by 2tmike »

Looking again, I'm a little unsure....the white plug looks like it has all the speaker wires in it but it hasn't the normal pin configuration for a non active system ...or for your head unit..?
Normally there are two plugs in the Toyota loom for a non active...a larger plug with 6 pins on the top and 4 pins below and a smaller one with 4 pins on the top and 2 below. These would fit side by side in the head unit.
The black plug you're holding is clearly an addition, if you follow the wires back are they joined to the loom with connectors or is there an adapter on the other end ?
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

I supplied Karl with new passive system plugs (with a female iso on the other end) for him to wire up his own system.

Return to “ICE and Security”