[Mk2] [Turbo] BOV recirculation

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

[Mk2] [Turbo] BOV recirculation

Post by Magic Beans »

Another day another question :wink:

My tubby came fitted with an HKS SSQV and while it makes a great noise and all that, it's ear splitting when I'm driving hard :shock:

After a bit of reading it seems that recirculating not only reduces the noise, it improves engine performance. So what I'm interested to know is two fold:

1. What are the pros and cons of recirculating on a 2?
2. If recirculation is the better approach, am i better to get the kit to convert the SSQV to do this, or putting the stock/another set-up on instead?

I can happily (preferably) live without the noise it makes. Performance is my main focus, not shouty noises :wink:
dantheman

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] BOV recirculation

Post by dantheman »

As your car is a rev4 there is no performance benefit to having recirculation. On rev1/2 the BOV is dumping air that the AFM has measured so the car runs rich. Even then it doesnt do so for very long. The recirculating performance effect is as noticable as painting on a racing stripe. For rev3+ the intake system uses amanifold air pressure sensor so it wont run rich.

BOV's are mostly chav devices. if you dont care about the sound stick the stock one on and sell the SSQV, they are worth a surprising amount.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Put a stock one back on there and recirculate it. You will not find a faster acting valve than the stock one.
Nic

Post by Nic »

I recirculated my SSQV BOV yesterday, no more loud whistle on lift off, just a slight woooosh as the air goes back into the intake.

You'll need an HKS 29mm recirculation adapter, the pipe that connects the stock BOV into the intake and a couple of jubilee clips.
Draven

Post by Draven »

I too have began to tire of the PSHHH noise.. i might plonk the standard BOV back on..
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

It's good to know I'm not the only one who's not a fan then. :)

So there's no real performance benefits to be had then, noted. The stock unit is better than the HKS? As always with reading things on the net, there's conflicting information when you trawl through the 100's of bits of information out there. ](*,)

Whooshing sound, chattering etc I don't mind at all. It's the "hey, look at me" psshhh sound, even when idling along in traffic etc, which just screams of trying to hard. These cars are plenty quick enough to let their performance do all the talking :D
Draven

Post by Draven »

No performance gains litterally just for the noise..
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Draven wrote:No performance gains litterally just for the noise..

:shock: Although if I was a teenager I guess I could see the appeal. Friends love the sound it makes, however they don't live with it day in day out. The sound of the turbo spooling on the other hand... :mrgreen:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Magic Beans wrote:It's good to know I'm not the only one who's not a fan then. :)

So there's no real performance benefits to be had then, noted. The stock unit is better than the HKS?

Yes, the stock unit totally prevents any chatter. It has a vac and boost feed and is incredibly fast acting. It makes a bit of an audible whoosh if you have an induction kit fitted, but nothing like an aftermarket BOV.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Marf wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:It's good to know I'm not the only one who's not a fan then. :)

So there's no real performance benefits to be had then, noted. The stock unit is better than the HKS?

Yes, the stock unit totally prevents any chatter. It has a vac and boost feed and is incredibly fast acting. It makes a bit of an audible whoosh if you have an induction kit fitted, but nothing like an aftermarket BOV.

A recirc SSQV would still make some noise?
Draven

Post by Draven »

Not sure how you'd recirc the ssqv
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Draven wrote:Not sure how you'd recirc the ssqv

I thought there was a kit available?
ian`s 2

Post by ian`s 2 »

there is a recirc adapter you can buy from gt chris or sumo power that fits where the insert is, Then the pipe fits over that
Draven

Post by Draven »

Magic Beans wrote:

possibly.. to be honest you might as well just stick the stock on back on and sell the ssqv..
ian`s 2

Post by ian`s 2 »

Magic Beans wrote:

like this
http://www.gtschris.com/store/comersus_ ... Product=91
Draven

Post by Draven »

ian`s 2 wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:

like this
http://www.gtschris.com/store/comersus_ ... Product=91

ah i see. :thumleft:
Nic

Post by Nic »

Magic Beans wrote:A recirc SSQV would still make some noise?

I have a Blitz induction kit fitted, the SSQV is recirculated back into the intake pipe, gone is the loud whistle, replaced with a slight sound of the air being released and a little flutter from the turbo. With the stock airbox fitted you'd probably not hear anything.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

How can you get bored of the Tsshhhh? Okay i can barely hear it with thus engine, exhaust noise etc but still. One of the reasons i love my turbo!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

nickg07 wrote:How can you get bored of the Tsshhhh? Okay i can barely hear it with thus engine, exhaust noise etc but still. One of the reasons i love my turbo!

It's not that i don't like it, it's just that it's pretty brutal in my tubby when driven with purpose. When cruising about gently it's still there, however it's joined by all manner of fluttering etc noises, which I don't mind at all.
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

And don't forget it's seriously embarassing if any pedestrians are within 50m :lol:

Return to “Modifications”