[Mk2] [Turbo] Best value standalone ECU?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

msherry21

[Mk2] [Turbo] Best value standalone ECU?

Post by msherry21 »

Hi all, I currently have a Dastek Unichip piggyback ECU and I'm looking to upgrade to a full standalone system.

Can anyone recommend a company and a system to get to supply, fit and mapping thats good value for money, I don't want to spend ridiculous amounts on this.

Any Affilliates doing good deals on this sort of thing just now? I'm willing to travel to get it done properly.

Cheers, michael.
djpkins

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Best value standalone ECU?

Post by djpkins »

Gotta be the Power FC hasn't it? mapping costs are expected to be around £300 for the amount of time it takes to do...of course if the car isn't in tip top condition elsewhere then it will have to be sorted before mapping takes place...or it'll be back and fro.
ashley

Post by ashley »

:-#
Last edited by ashley on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

djpkins wrote:Gotta be the Power FC hasn't it?

+1
Nic

Post by Nic »

There are a lot of capable standalone ECU's on the market, the thing that makes the difference is the mapping. I would always choose who is going to map the car first and then go with their preferred choice of ECU.

Ryan G at 2Bar Tuning has a very good reputation on many car forums, he can map different ECU's, his ECU of choice is the Syvecs. If it was me I would contact Ryan to discuss, contact details here: http://www.2bartuning.com/#/what-we-offer/4526900196
craig

Post by craig »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
djpkins wrote:Gotta be the Power FC hasn't it?

+1

+2
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

Seems the Apexi is winning this then, thought that would be the case.

Can these still be bought new? If not, where else can I buy one?

Been looking on E-bay but can't see anything good. Do they need to be specifically for the sw20 or would another one work?

Sorry for all the daft questions!

cheers, Michael.
craig

Post by craig »

msherry21 wrote:Seems the Apexi is winning this then, thought that would be the case.

Can these still be bought new? If not, where else can I buy one?

Been looking on E-bay but can't see anything good. Do they need to be specifically for the sw20 or would another one work?

Sorry for all the daft questions!

cheers, Michael.

I think they are now discontinued but occasionally come up for sale second hand and the going rate is around £500-£600.

You would need an MR2 and revision specific ECU, yes.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Is the link range of ECU's good value? I beleive they are pretty much plug and play with a base map.

I went Megasquirt but would not recomend this as good value, if you want a supplied and fitted service then its out all together. Find someone truested locally as if you go to far a feild it will cost you if something is not 100% when its fitted and you have to go back and forth a few times.
Olly.Dent

Post by Olly.Dent »

I have a AEM sitting around if your interested? Is as good as new with box, disc and a map from Ryan G on it.
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

Hi Olly, please PM me details and a price and we'll see if we can sort something out. Cheers.

Michael.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I'd be interested in the AEM too, if the OP isn't of course :thumleft:
Olly.Dent

Post by Olly.Dent »

Ok mate. Second dibs for you. :thumleft:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

You know what.. i think im going to have to disagree with the Apexi PFC being a good value budget ECU! It has gone up in price loads since they stopped making them, they use quite dated technology when compared to modern ECUs and lack a lot of features and requires additional tuning interfaces to tune it!

I know i got a good deal here but just an example of what you could get if you look hard enough... I got a LinkPlus G3 XLEM (the top of the range G3 -same as what nathan used on his 900bhp record breaker) which uses a USB connection and 32-bit windows mapping interface, has lots of features like launch control, flat shift, anti-lag, has half a million digital and analogue inputs and outputs and can drive COPs straight from the box! Also a 7-bar Link map sensor and the P&P loom all for only £650! (2nd hand obv) this ecu is miles ahead of the PFC and i got it for what...£50 more?!
ryan

Post by ryan »

RyanRs wrote:You know what.. i think im going to have to disagree with the Apexi PFC being a good value budget ECU! It has gone up in price loads since they stopped making them, they use quite dated technology when compared to modern ECUs and lack a lot of features and requires additional tuning interfaces to tune it!

I know i got a good deal here but just an example of what you could get if you look hard enough... I got a LinkPlus G3 XLEM (the top of the range G3 -same as what nathan used on his 900bhp record breaker) which uses a USB connection and 32-bit windows mapping interface, has lots of features like launch control, flat shift, anti-lag, has half a million digital and analogue inputs and outputs and can drive COPs straight from the box! Also a 7-bar Link map sensor and the P&P loom all for only £650! (2nd hand obv) this ecu is miles ahead of the PFC and i got it for what...£50 more?!

But the PFC is plug & play, and you can get a 2nd hand one for £500. Wasnt this used on Shahids car which made over 900bhp as well?
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Link is practically plug and play nowadays too, £80 for a loom adapter and good tuners like Ryan.G etc will have the car running in no time. Took Ryan 10 min to wire in my link and get the car running good enough to drive it in to the dyno for mapping, 45 min later and i was driving home with just under 380fwhp! End of the day, AFAIK the self tune on the PFC is not designed to be used as a permanent tune, but as a starting point so the car can be driven to the rolling road to be tuned properly; if you had a Link and an adapter then whats the difference in just driving to the rolling road on the stock ecu and plugging the Link in when you get there!
ryan

Post by ryan »

RyanRs wrote:Link is practically plug and play nowadays too, £80 for a loom adapter and good tuners like Ryan.G etc will have the car running in no time. Took Ryan 10 min to wire in my link and get the car running good enough to drive it in to the dyno for mapping, 45 min later and i was driving home with just under 380fwhp! End of the day, AFAIK the self tune on the PFC is not designed to be used as a permanent tune, but as a starting point so the car can be driven to the rolling road to be tuned properly; if you had a Link and an adapter then whats the difference in just driving to the rolling road on the stock ecu and plugging the Link in when you get there!

You defo got the Link as a bit of a bargain there! The PFC will do the OP fine though, as hes not going over 320bhp?
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

It sounds like the "Link G3" and the "Power FC" are the ones to go for then. How much does a basic Link system cost and where from?

I'm just looking for a reliable standalone that will work nicely with my car. I'm not fussed about the power too much at the moment. It was running 320bhp approx with the Unichip before the rebuild and that was great! I just wish I could get that mapped again and save myself a small fortune, seems like nobody maps them anymore!! :-(

Cheers, Michael.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

IIRC, the Link G3 is no longer made. Last S/H one I saw with plug and play adaptor was about £650.

As already said, S/H PowerFC is about £500, and easier to find.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Who is going to map the car? That's where I'd start.

Return to “Modifications”