[Mk2] [Generic] Split Rim Wheel size, advice and Photo's needed! SHOW OFF YOUR RIMS HERE!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Danbob

[Mk2] [Generic] Split Rim Wheel size, advice and Photo's needed! SHOW OFF YOUR RIMS HERE!

Post by Danbob »

I am about to start designing some 3 piece split rims for my MR2. I've got a rough idea of the direction I'm going to take but could do with seeing a few examples to help decide a couple of things, hopefully you can help me out?

I was going to go for 16" diameter as I don't like overly large wheels, but due to the nature of split rims, small diameters can end up looking a bit stunted, especially with a 114mm mounting PCD in the middle.

So does anyone have any photo's of their MR2 on 16" and 17" Original Super Advans or Enkei RS-III's?

Any other photo's of 2's on interesting wheels/split rims would also be appreciated!

What width stagger is usually regarded as Ideal for the MK2? 8" rear 7" front?

Think of this as a good excuse to show off your rare wheels!

Cheers

Dan
Marf

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Split Rim Wheel size, advice and Photo's needed! SHOW OFF YOUR RIMS HERE!

Post by Marf »

I just bought these to refurb and fit, 16x7/8 ET32. Enkei RS

When you say design, are you having a set custom made? If so by who?
Danbob

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Split Rim Wheel size, advice and Photo's needed! SHOW OFF YOUR RIMS HERE!

Post by Danbob »

They're nice, got a nice thin spoke so avoids the 'stunted' look I was talking about (because on split rim the rim mounting flange takes up some of your available spoke length.)

Do you know how heavy they are?

By design I mean I'll be designing the centers from scratch, then either getting them CNC milled from Billet, either from a local machine shop or through someone like Image wheels. Then buying some flow formed rims from the likes of Image.

I've talked to Image and they seem alright, got a good heritage and sound good on their website, however I've seen a lot of quite bad reviews on forums, so not 100% whether to trust them or not, has anyone on here had any experience with them?
Marf

Post by Marf »

Not sure on the weights, unfortunately I don't have scales at home to weigh them. They're pretty light for a 16 I think :)

Have you got any idea what the cost of machining the centres will be?
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

It will be a long way off until the money comes into it as I haven't started designing yet and I'm a bit of a perfectionist,

I'm hoping to haggle them for £320 a wheel all in including rims from image, as I'll be supplying them with full production ready CAD model with FEA analysis already completed to JWL standards and beyond, I assume they do not do any benchtesting.

If it's going to come to more than that and they won't shift then I know a couple of CNC machinists that I could call in favours from and pay them to do it as a gov'y, then buy the flow formed rims elsewhere.

Haven't worked out the fine details yet, going to sort out the wheel design first! :)
Marf

Post by Marf »

Gotcha, just interested as it'd be kinda cool to have a second set of centres for my wheels :mrgreen:
iain2010

Post by iain2010 »

7 & 8 inch would be good. A nice 22 - 25 offset for both would bring the wheels inline with the stock arches
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

cupra curn wrote:7 & 8 inch would be good. A nice 22 - 25 offset for both would bring the wheels inline with the stock arches

Cheers, exactly what I needed

Any more photo's? specifically 16" and 17" Super advans I'm hoping to compare, should give me a better idea of whether I can get away with 16" with that sort of design.
timlowthian

Post by timlowthian »

Here is my mr2 on Advans! Dont no if these are the ones ur on about?

Rev 1 NA to Turbo conversion!
Danbob

Post by Danbob »

timlowthian wrote:Here is my mr2 on Advans! Dont no if these are the ones ur on about?

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v668/ ... C_2775.jpg

Nice wheels, it was the older traditional 3 piece split type super advans I ideally wanted to see on the 2 though. Are yours 16" or 17?

Cheers

Dan
timlowthian

Post by timlowthian »

They are 16's :thumleft: It was before the coilovers though so looks a bit high!
Rev 1 NA to Turbo conversion!
Jonny Hizzle

Post by Jonny Hizzle »

Marf wrote:Image

I just bought these to refurb and fit, 16x7/8 ET32. Enkei RS

When you say design, are you having a set custom made? If so by who?

Slightly off topic but would you mind letting me know what you paid for these marf?
I have a set sitting in my garage which I might shift but not sure what they are worth
Marf

Post by Marf »

PM'd
Rob

Post by Rob »

16" 2 piece Tom's Racing (by Rays Engineering) C7R splits.
iwantoneofthose

Post by iwantoneofthose »

Volk racing GTP 17''
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

8/9x17, ET43/42 Algernon Intelesse.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Good wheel resource here: http://www.wheelspecs.com/default.aspx
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

Here's some more 16" Enkei Racing S

Bit of a photoshop but its only colour of the car, car sits like this.

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

Oh the centers of the Enkei's are magnesium from the research I found.

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL

Return to “Modifications”