Turbo advice pros and cons

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

VGB

Turbo advice pros and cons

Post by VGB »

I'm thinking of getting a turbo, rev3 on is what I'd prefer. Just a few questions really. What is a decent prce to pay. I've had a look around and seen them from around 1500 - 4500 and up really. Is it worth getting the turbo over a n/a like i have now? Thinking re increased insurance, increased fuel costs, on uk roads not really getting chance to give it a decent run out? It would only be for weekends as a second car.
I have seen a rev3 with fair bit of engine work done and a bodykit that I like with high 90's on the clock. This is for £4500. It seems a bit pricey to me as is a early rev3. I appreciate that the cost of the work that has gone into it makes it cheap but to be honest we all loose lots with work we put into cars when they are sold on. It has been for sale for a long time, ie pushing a year as far as I can tell. This suggests it's over priced. But I do keep coming back to it! :(
Thoughts please?
Chris

Re: Turbo advice pros and cons

Post by Chris »

Performance wise, the Turbo cars are a differant world to the n/a so worth the change no doubt.

Price wise.... These old cars now don't have a value to go on, they are only worth what a buyer will pay for them. If you as a buyer like the car at £4500, and feel you would pay that, that's it's worth... To you.

Another chap might look at the same car and say £2000.

Got a link to the car??
psummers

Post by psummers »

I went from a rev 3 n/a to a rev 3 turbo. There's plenty more smiles per mile with a turbo that's for sure :D

Regarding insurance and fuel; my insurance went up about £150 and my mpg is about 3-4 less but obviously 99 RON petrol is more expensive. Definitely worth going from n/a to turbo it in my view.

I got a well looked after standard car for £2200 (advertised for £3000)
VGB

Post by VGB »

Cheers for the replies. There are a couple I like but this is the one I keep going back to.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3129353.htm
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

VGB wrote:Cheers for the replies. There are a couple I like but this is the one I keep going back to.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3129353.htm

Looks a nice car. :thumleft:

And being sold by Rash, a trader on this forum. As car dealers go, he's OK :mrgreen:
Chris

Post by Chris »

As above, Rash is a sound bloke. :thumleft: YVS build cracking engines, he's the chap that built my old 600bhp motor so all good there too!

To build the spec on that car would cost double, so a good buy if you like the bodykit etc.

Not seen the car personally, but usually Rash's stuff is very good.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I toyed with the idea of buying that one. The spec looked good, although th kit isn't quite to my taste.

I decided to buy myself work instead, although I wouldn't swap it for the world now :D
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

I would look for a car that has had an enthusuast owner, is faily standard (hopefully no mods beyond wheels/exhaust/audio) and has not been in the country for 7 years+.

Buying a car that has been heavily modified by someone else even if done to an exceptional standard you will be forever chasing niggles. If corners have been cut it will be a disaster.
VGB

Post by VGB »

A fair point. I have thought about one which is more standard as sure with the difference between a n/a to turbo I'd be more than happy performance wise. On top of that it is a 17-18 year old car and I struggle to convince myself I ought be spending that much on a car which price is unlikely to appreciate or stay that high if I decided to sell on short term.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Definitely worth trying an mr2 turbo even if just a ride as a passenger.
Ok they are very old cars now, but the acceleration and cornering performance still shows up a lot of modern cars that cost many times more.

They are pretty reliable if the engine is warmed up properly and allowed to cool down properly.

Even a tired one is comparatively cheap to refresh engine/turbo and suspension parts compared to replacing the mr2 with a modern performance car that can stay with it.

As with all old cars, eventually corrosion catches up with them even if there are a lot more miles left in the engine. So something to consider when buying one of these fun turbo cars is it worth having a respray and getting the corrosion removed.

Dont worry about the car having high 90s on the clock - mine has approx 175,000 miles and is my daily driver.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

also.....How many people have I spoke to that have said..." if I knew then what I know now, I would've bought one thats been modified already"
...cos it cost soo much money for garage labour and engine work, obv don't buy a dog but how long will it be kept standard? If you get one from this site, the chances are you can track the cars development over the last few years...recomendations are highly sought after when on the hunt for any service...you can take it that Peter and Chris have been around long enough to know whats what.
Ask why the drivers door only has been de-locked...is it cos the other got mullered in a smash? what IC is on it...cos it doesn't sound like it matches the rest of the spec...(chris has 2 ARC ones for sale on here for peanuts matey :thumleft: )
It's had a hooj amount of engine work done, wouldn't be supprised if that cars had 10k thrown at it.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Well sent a message to the company via thier website. Had what I'd consider a very short reply and not really covering all the points I asked. Got to be honest put me off a bit. As much as I might like the car I do tend to judge a company on their ability to communicate. I probably expect too much as it is a garage and not a private enthusiast seller. More pondering I think!
Baker

Post by Baker »

I'm not certain, but I think that car has been for sale for a long time.
Clearly your reply from them has something to do with that.
Chris

Post by Chris »

It might be worth PMing Rash on here. It might not of been him that picked up the email, maybe someone that works for him instead that does not know much.

The car has been for sale a while, but it's a choice car. Not a Fiesta or similar. I have bought a few cars from Rash with no issues at all.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Yeah think I wil, i'm not knocking who ever it was who replied as it's not the most expensive car they've got for sale but to be fair 4500 is alot for me to shell out. Take it no one on here has come across the car before, other than the various for sale adverts?
Rev5GT

Post by Rev5GT »

Hi mate,
Not been as frequently on here as i used to. In response to your e-mail that was replied i thought i covered what you asked..??

"a couple of questions. Can you tell me if the wheels are staggered set up? Does it have abs? Are there any issues with it, previous damage, signs of rust etc?"

"Hi,
No rust or issues that we are aware of. Alloys are NOT staggered. No ABS. P/x poss depends what you want for your car," :D

Ok not the most detailed but relies none the less. To be fair i was just on my way out to build a snowman with my 8 year old daughter so rushed it a little :mrgreen:

Anyway any further info required please e-mail again and i will reply to best of my knowledge.

I bought the car to drive about early last year and attend shows but other circumstances / events have meant the car has not been driven anywhere near as much as i wanted to.

Then had ideas about getting a TRD kit for it or buying a Rev5 UK car and doing a Turbo conversion using this car as its the spec i wanted alas time / work / family meant nothing got done.

Any inspection or trial is welcome if required. If you are local you are more than welcome to come across and have a nosey around / test drive whether you buy it or not. Always happy to help / entertain fellow MR2 enthusiast.

Cheers
Rash.

P.s the Snowman

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/m5017.jpg
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

Once you go turbo you will never go back, owned many other fast cars but nothing else compares to the thrill.. Personally i would want to buy as cheap as possible and then if it does go pop, have it rebuilt by my choice of garage with my choice of parts.. Not saying its a bad buy but you will never really know until you have owned and driven it for a few hundred miles. Bought my rev 3 with 70k genuine, spanking condition for £2500
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

I wonder if hat has taken a crash and been patched up? One side de-locked, and those wheels look like cheap replacements.... Could be wrong.. Just my opinion..
Chris

Post by Chris »

A.BLAKE wrote:I wonder if hat has taken a crash and been patched up? One side de-locked, and those wheels look like cheap replacements.... Could be wrong.. Just my opinion..

Maybe yours has taken a crash and been badly patched up? Those wheels look like cheap replacements, no fogs in the front, dodgy mesh....Could be wrong...Just my opinion :roll:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Chris wrote:
A.BLAKE wrote:I wonder if hat has taken a crash and been patched up? One side de-locked, and those wheels look like cheap replacements.... Could be wrong.. Just my opinion..

Maybe yours has taken a crash and been badly patched up? Those wheels look like cheap replacements, no fogs in the front, dodgy mesh....Could be wrong...Just my opinion :roll:

LMFAO!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”