Where to go for some track fun?

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

A.BLAKE

Where to go for some track fun?

Post by A.BLAKE »

Went for a blast in the 2 round a closed track for the first time the other day and im hooked! Some of the best fun i have ever had. So any way, want to go for a non competitive track blast, just some where i can go and drive on the limits in relative safety. My car is not track prepped so not really ready for anything serious and i will have to drive home it afterwards. Assume i will need a helmet. Is a roll cage mandatory for such events? Where can i go? How much does it cost?
dantheman

Re: Where to go for some track fun?

Post by dantheman »

You are very easily sold.

Check out the following locations. You are always looking for Car trackdays, not test days:

http://www.trackdaylist.com/

They feature some good websites on there, the big one being javelin, but circuit days and book a track are also big organisers of trackdays, but anyone is good.

Also check out my personal favourite:

http://www.focusedevents.com/car_index.asp

In terms of tracks, if you are in london then theres brands hatch, thruxton, donington, rockingham and silverstone all within range but they normally expensive. Snetterton, castle combe, bedford autodrome, mallory are cheaper.

Price wise cheapest ive ever paid is £65 for a ticket. I try not to spend more than £120-130 but will stretch to £160. Silverstone and some others can charge as much as £300 for a day. Always pay attention to what you are buying. All day open pit lane is best value. Half days and sessioned events are also offered.

Also factor in the cost of fuel (1 whole tank on track and however much to get to the track and back). Helmets are hired at the track for £10 or you can get one of ebay for £40. Roll cage isnt required.

Also check your breakdown cover, most (infact i think all) dont tow from the circuit. Either pay the on site recovery guys to tow you down the road to then ring the breakdown company or do as i do and become a member of the ADAC. They are german but contract the AA who dont care where you are as they get paid either way.

HTH
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

Cheers for the info, been looking at bedford auto, going to sort a helmet and brake pads then book up.. I suppose t,bar would mean full face helmet?
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

A.BLAKE wrote:I suppose t,bar would mean full face helmet?

Nope, open face would be fine. They dont exactly 'police' safety. They allow open face helmets in 7 types and similar as long as you have goggles. Just go with what you are comfortable with.
Redrummo

Post by Redrummo »

Dont forget that Bedford has one of the strictest policies on noise. Its 101db static and 86db drive by i think...... if you break this then they wont let you on again!! one strike and out.

If you can visit the circuit they will test ur exhaust noise for free. Will give you peace of mind. Esp as you have a decat.

Otherwise its a really good circuit i think (just lacks any gradient)

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”