MR2 round Mercedes test track and a weekend at Brookands!

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

A.BLAKE

MR2 round Mercedes test track and a weekend at Brookands!

Post by A.BLAKE »

A while back my wife booked us a weekend at the Brooklands hotel, which is basically a hotel located next to the Brooklands race track and museum and overlooking the Mercedes world test track.
I would highly recommend this for any one seeking a mutually enjoyable break with there partner as the hotel has a amazing spa (so im told) which keeps every one happy. Any way I spent the Sunday at Brooklands museum where they had some lovely vintage material, many men with beards, but a nice day.
Yup thats a tax disc!!!!

Any after that popped over to Mercedes world and checked out all the new
AMG stuff and was told for £20 I could be driven round there track in one of there new AMGs... Now im sorry but why would i want to sit in a Mercedes while another man has a great time and pay him £20 to do so...
[-X

Any way later in the evening after dinner I was in the balcony hot tub 8) which over looks the test track when i couldnt help but notice the gate to the track seemed to be open....Hmmm i thought surely they would not leave it open all night! Just out of interest i got dressed ran down to my car, warmed her up drove round to the entrance and found to my amazement that indeed it was open! However there were two bollard things, the type that rize up out of the ground at the entrance and a large sign saying NO UNAUTHORIZED VEHICLES PASSED THIS POINT! Hmmm i thought... If i attempt to drive across these and they rise up under my car causing a HUGE amount of damage and embarrassment you will have no one to blame other than yourself! But... On the other hand if they don,t I thought i have a deserted racing track a full tank of V power directly in front of me. I sat, engine burbling for about 10 minutes contemplating this dilemma, got out and walked across... Nothing! So, praying to car gods i upped the revs dumped the clutch and to my delight found my self alone on the most amazing piece of tarmac i have ever driven. What really surprised me though is how much the old 2 can deliver on a proper race track! My god these cars are amazing! Its the first time i have ever driven any car on a track and it was AMAZING! Its a very tight twisty track top speed is 100 on the straight but through the bends it was biblical! Only did 5 laps and thought quit while your ahead but really want to do some more track time now... Fantastic weekend and the track blast was definitely the highlight!!! :mrgreen:
Tsia

Re: MR2 round Mercedes test track and a weekend at Brookands!

Post by Tsia »

That made me grin. Glad the car gods answered your prayer too!

Awesome looking '2 by the way.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

sounds like you had fun
nobody pull you up on the track antics? :lol:
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

Not a word.. assume all the mercedes people had gone home and we checked out the morning after so assuming i dont get a court summons for trespass through the door all is well :D
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Awesome stuff, nothing like free track time! Sounds like you need to go on some trackdays now.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

My old Rev3 was on the Merc test track a couple of years back.

This old sig is it on the skid pan:

I've got some better at home, I'll try and get them posted later.

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

LOL was saying to my misses, bet thats the first MR2 ever to have gone round there! #-o

How did you get to go on, did they allow you or did you do a sneaky one?

Did have a go on the skid pad but it had pretty much dried out so could not much good.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

A.BLAKE wrote:How did you get to go on, did they allow you or did you do a sneaky one?

Did have a go on the skid pad but it had pretty much dried out so could not much good.

If only. I wasn't driving. A guy contacted me about using it for some testing for something which I can't go into details about O:) :-$

They picked the car up, did their testing and delivered it home with some pics and a full tank of fuel.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

There should be places where you can just take your car for a blast.. Yes i know there are many tracks days etc... But really, why cant the government just build a few places like the merc test track where you can just go for free or a small fee and just blast a couple of laps. I mean there are football fields, basketball courts, mountain bike tracks etc that dont require pre booking at some huge fee. just a bit of open tarmac! When you think how much tax us motorists pay its not to much to ask! Obviously unless Clarkson becomes prime minister this will NEVER happen but it should! :evil:

Return to “Driving Experiences”