Annoying squeal from the alternator

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Pidge

Annoying squeal from the alternator

Post by Pidge »

After having the engine out and had a full service about 4 months ago there has been an annoying squeal coming from the alternator. I checked the alt had free play when the engine was out so I could change it if needed but was fine so thought all would be good.

To reduce drag I had the aircon pump removed and thus had a belt spare from the work done which is a 4pk875. I was just wondering is someone could tell me if the squeal is due to the air con belt on the alternator or is the squeal due to oil on the belt while fitting or something?

Oh and the alternator belt has been tightened about 5 times now and still has the annoying sound (only for about a minute after a cold start)

Any help is much appreciated :thumleft:
Site updated 14/04/2012
djpkins

Re: Annoying squeal from the alternator

Post by djpkins »

needs a new belt matey...overtighten and it'll snap or/and put a strain on the alt bearings...easy but fiddly job.
the way I did it...rear drivers wheel off (better access to the pivot bolt)...which you can now slacken off.
now it's just the tension bolt and locking bolt, both of which can be gotten real easy from the top.
Give the alt a good visual inspction with a torch , if your not taking it off, boiling oil and all that.
Pidge

Post by Pidge »

Top answer mate, thanks for that. I'll do it at the weekend. :thumleft:

Is the 4pk875 the alternator belt? If not what is so I am sure it's the correct belt and if it still does it I can rule out the belt \:D/
Site updated 14/04/2012
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

just checked the spare i have had lying around for ages and it says 4pk830, not a toyota one though
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

825/830 = alternator belt.
875 = air con belt.
Pidge

Post by Pidge »

Cheers for that Peter, looks like they did fit the correct belt. Must have oil or something causing it to slip :-#
Site updated 14/04/2012
Pidge

Post by Pidge »

Had the belt changed and all is good they can't understand it though, everything moves freely, no oil or play in the belt? New belt and it's perfect :thumleft:
Site updated 14/04/2012
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Once a belt starts slipping/squeeling through either wear i.e. losing tension, or oil contamintion, it's not unusual for the inside of the belt to become "polished" and lose it's frictional abilities. Change of bellt nearly always solves the problem.
Pidge

Post by Pidge »

Cheers for the explanation bud. Had a couple of pm's from people so will post up here which belt I got in the end so they can get one :thumleft:
Site updated 14/04/2012

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”