[Mk2] [Generic] Stereo now has no power?????

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

W88NEE

[Mk2] [Generic] Stereo now has no power?????

Post by W88NEE »

Hi as above I have an active system that I have taken out and am replacing. It had original 2 subs & 4 speakers, running 4 external oem amps.

I test fitted everything and all was working fine. I test connected and I found the constant live, ignition live and illumination using a multi-meter and all read fine.

Now after fetling putting door speakers and small subs in the car, re-wired cables to my own amp and stereo I have no power to the stereo. I have checked three fuse boxes and all is o.k. I have got the multi meter back out and none of the stereo wires have any power to them now. I can't imaging that all three live (constant, ignition and illumination) wires can break. Is there another fuse hidden in the car or something im missing?

Also I have taken out all of the standard amps. Could this be my problem that the head unit is powered by the amp?

Thanks,

Wayne.
Was MR2Turbo1991, but now changed name.

5SGTE Forged Build 2011/12
Build Thread: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... nniversary
Canopus

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Stereo now has no power?????

Post by Canopus »

Candidly not really my field as I'm plucking up courage to replace my unit but am put off by all the horror stories!

From my research I believe:

1) The old amps do indeed provide power to the head unit.

2) The ariel earths the system, so no ariel no circuit = no power.

Hope this may help a little

Geoff
gazrev1tubby

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Stereo now has no power?????

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Wayne, the power goes to the amps, then to the HU. You'll need to run new power cables to get your stereo to work bud.

Return to “ICE and Security”