[Mk2] [Turbo] Starting build

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Starting build

Post by bobhatton »

stephano wrote:I'll be in a single seater by then

But I will still run faster times
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Parts Jeff is building for me in the USA, once I have them I can get on building the engine. Block is all ready to go just need to get everything balanced once I get the front pulley from Jeff and the clutch out of my running car.

You can see my front pulley in the last two photos
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Just had a look at my head, its been cut for the bigger valves.
I know I have seen that heads have had bigger valves fitted before but not sure that this has been done to them, it is the only reason to fit bigger valves, because the hole is bigger.

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Any idea when you might have it finished and ready to put the boy back in his place? :wink:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Well it was to be around July but so much to do even when the gearbox and engine are all together. Going to be working on Steves wiring for the MOTEC this weekend, got to get him beating all the other cars first, then all I have to beat will be Steve. Or I could just take all my bits off his car, that will stop him.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

bobhatton wrote:Well it was to be around July but so much to do even when the gearbox and engine are all together. Going to be working on Steves wiring for the MOTEC this weekend, got to get him beating all the other cars first, then all I have to beat will be Steve. Or I could just take all my bits off his car, that will stop him.

Haha, now that wouldn't be sporting would it :lol:

I'm massively intrigued to see what this build is like when it's done and the kind of figures it makes.
Last edited by Magic Beans on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

With the turbo he has it will be around 450hp I think, but I do have a bigger turbo I may let him use but not sure he is going to need it
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Are you still planning on a using GT4088?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

I hope to use a gtx4294r in the end, not sure what I have got to start with but it is around 650hp. I will see what it is over the weekend
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

No concerns about spooling times etc, with it being such a large turbo? Given that it will be a used for sprinting.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

No not with the MOTEC, that will have full control with anti-lag etc
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I've even more interested to see it finished now. I'll stop taking up your time so you can go and work on it :wink:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Still waiting for the parts from Jeff so got on with some mods to the inlet manifold.

bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

In the sprints Steve and I do I am not far behind Steve, he has around 350HP and I only stock Rev 2 225HP, apart from the great driving I also have some help here
Same sort of thing on the rear too

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

What's the benefits of cutting the ends off the mani pipes? Is it related to flow or turbulence?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

They were standing off the base by about an 1" so the air flow around them would be a mess, now it will be much smother when I weld them back on to the base
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Makes sense. Is there much benefits between this and an aftermarket mani, other than price?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Magic Beans wrote:Makes sense. Is there much benefits between this and an aftermarket mani, other than price?

It already is an aftermarket manifold!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

toxo wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:Makes sense. Is there much benefits between this and an aftermarket mani, other than price?

It already is an aftermarket manifold!

I need my eyes checking!

*Goes for a lie down, as it's been a longer day than though* :eye:
Mike N

Post by Mike N »

bobhatton wrote:Still waiting for the parts from Jeff so got on with some mods to the inlet manifold.

The inlet manifold top half looks just like a std Ford RS200 (group B) item. I was going to fit one to mine.

Return to “Project Cars”