[Mk2] [NA] exhaust query

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

smithy69

[Mk2] [NA] exhaust query

Post by smithy69 »

on my last mr2 i dithed the complete back box and fitted a silencer (motorbike can ) straight from the down pipe lost alot of weight sounded great (bit to loud tho ) but would this of given lower power due to lack of back pressure??
i ask as i deliever exhuasts and can get 1 made up should i simply replace the long rear box with a straight thro pipe then fit 1 end cans for better sound and performance ???
cheers guys
p5ycho

Re: [Mk2] [NA] exhaust query

Post by p5ycho »

replacing the exhausts on a stock car for a larger free flowing one doesnt actually ad any performance, you lose back pressure and gain noise..
if weight saving is the venture then lose the big heavy back box and replace with some lighter smaller ones, will sure sound different...

more free flowing exhausts on a turbo is usually a good idea, but sometimes if you go for too big pipe diameter you lose back pressure and cause the turbo to over boost.. which could cause a massive boost spike and help in killing the engine..
smithy69

Re: [Mk2] [NA] exhaust query

Post by smithy69 »

cheers mate its mainly for a nice sound and look as i dont plan on going for bhp on the mr2 as my scoobies 410bhp and that costs me a fortune .

Return to “Mechanical”