swapping a 1zz with a 2zz block...possible ??

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

fastfu

swapping a 1zz with a 2zz block...possible ??

Post by fastfu »

Hi all
i have a 2000 mr-s and its just failed its mot because its burning oil and wouldn't go through the emissions.

I know the culprit and what i wanted to ask is, is it possible to swap the 1zz block for a 2zz ?
Ekona

Re: swapping a 1zz with a 2zz block...possible ??

Post by Ekona »

Yes, been done loads of times, Rogue's your best bet if you want someone to do it for you.

IIRC you'll need engine mounts, exhaust manifold, dipstick adaptor and some electrics (ECU and wiring loom come to mind, not 100% sure on those though), and you'll definitely want a 2ZZ gearbox as well to make the most out of it. Now I've said about the 'box, I think you need to do some work with the shifting mechanism at that end, but I can't remember for the life of me what it is.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Yep - as Dan has said, teh 2zz swap can be done if you want to stay NA.

A friend rebuilt his 1ZZ with a brand new new bottom end, reusing the existing head. The cost was 1,500 for parts for what is now basically a brand new engine in his car.

If you do an engine swap for a 2zz, given so much will be bespoke, have you considered turbo ( or supercharging ) it ?

Rogue still would be the right people to speak to about this.
fastfu

Post by fastfu »

I don't want to swap the entire 2zz, i just wanted to know if the blocks/bottonends are interchangable
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

No - the oil passages will not line up.

The engines are different designs, with other differences including different bore and stroke ratios, and the 2zz having a lightened bottom end to help with the higher redline.
rbuckingham

Post by rbuckingham »

BenF wrote:No - the oil passages will not line up.

The engines are different designs, with other differences including different bore and stroke ratios, and the 2zz having a lightened bottom end to help with the higher redline.

if the oil passages dont line up then why does my bored 1zz (so same diameter as a 2zz pistons use a uprated 2zz head gasket. :-k i dont get oil problem issues at all.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

The 2zz head and block are different overall dimensions to the 1zz, eg 2zz block has an additional oil channel to work the VVTI not present on the 1zz.

For the 2ZZ HG in your 1ZZ - interesting - did you check a 1zz HG against a 2ZZ HG to see what lined up?
rbuckingham

Post by rbuckingham »

BenF wrote:The 2zz head and block are different overall dimensions to the 1zz, eg 2zz block has an additional oil channel to work the VVTI not present on the 1zz.

For the 2ZZ HG in your 1ZZ - interesting - did you check a 1zz HG against a 2ZZ HG to see what lined up?

i didnt personally build it. but the guy that did like to make sure everything was perfect. i guess he went for 2zz HG because of the bore diameter being more thanthe 1zz. as for line up it must all be in the same place just the 2zz has an extra oil way for the lift. so in my case the HG just has a hole in it where metal is both sides ie no oil way. as for putting a 2zz bottom end on a 1zz head the extra oil way in the block will just be stopped at the head as if its a dead end.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”