WHY do bigger alloys mean worse handling?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Poohbear

Re: WHY do bigger alloys mean worse handling?

Post by Poohbear »

Hya,

Just to add my twopenneth to the debate. Has anyone noticed how the tyres fitted to F1 cars have an aspect ratio of approx 50%. You cant tell me that F1 teams dont know what they are talking about. Seems to me that Toyota got the tyre wheel combination ie: 15 inch with 55/50% aspect ratio pretty spot on.

Bob
I'm Going To Die Young...But When I'm Very Very Old!
jonno

Post by jonno »

Poohbear wrote:Hya,

Just to add my twopenneth to the debate. Has anyone noticed how the tyres fitted to F1 cars have an aspect ratio of approx 50%. You cant tell me that F1 teams dont know what they are talking about. Seems to me that Toyota got the tyre wheel combination ie: 15 inch with 55/50% aspect ratio pretty spot on.

Bob

Your confusing F1 tyres that cost £1000 each and are made specifically for each car, to mass produced junk thats made to fit as many cars as possible and work in cold/hot/wet/dry conditions.

The reason F1 teams run the tyre sizes they do is down to the regulations. I.e, the wheel rim size and tyre widths are constrained. I seem to remember Damon Hill testing low profile tyres in a Williams back in the mid nineties, however the FIA seemed to think that the cars were going around corners fast enough as it was and changed the regulations to stop teams developing them any further.

Low profile tires have some benefits, but only if the suspension is capable of using them. Unfortunately for us, the MR2 seems to struggle :(

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Frustrated Pilot

Post by Frustrated Pilot »

just to add .. :D i tried to follow one of those atom things round a roundabout one day....

i did quite well.. except...

I reached the coefficient of friction limit of my tires and the road well in advance of that thing. And to the dismay of my konei's and advans (7.5"F & 8"R) with 215/225 45 (toyos) 16".... i watched it accelerate off into the distance.

they seem like a nice little sporty number :mrgreen:
Alex_Dunn

Post by Alex_Dunn »

if its true smaller wheels give better handling why do ferraris and porsches have such big rims?
jonno

Post by jonno »

Alex_Dunn wrote:if its true smaller wheels give better handling why do ferraris and porsches have such big rims?

Have you read ANY of this thread?
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

jonno wrote:
Alex_Dunn wrote:if its true smaller wheels give better handling why do ferraris and porsches have such big rims?

Indeed....

Cars handle best on the wheels and profile tyres they were designed for and that the suspension geometry can cope with. Go back to page 1 and start again from the top!
Alex_Dunn

Post by Alex_Dunn »

Speedy wrote:
jonno wrote:

Indeed....

Cars handle best on the wheels and profile tyres they were designed for and that the suspension geometry can cope with. Go back to page 1 and start again from the top!

nope didnt read any of it i just wanted a quick answer which is what i got thanx!!!!
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

#-o NOT the right answer ... people have spent a lot of time posting to threads like this - do them the courtesy of reading their posts before posting like this :x
Alex_Dunn

Post by Alex_Dunn »

BenF wrote:#-o NOT the right answer ... people have spent a lot of time posting to threads like this - do them the courtesy of reading their posts before posting like this :x

i slapped my hand for u ben :(
Lewis Jay

BIG WHEELS YES PLEASE

Post by Lewis Jay »

So guy n girls, read throught his post with some interest and came up with a my opinion.

If you want to go on a track and not be blinged up, drive safely, have tea and biscuits while you do it, go for 15".

HOWEVER, if you want to go on the track, blinged up, driving on the limit, infact more so than with 15" due to less "slip angle" on the the low profile tyres.

Be on the brink, then take it that bit to far and have to be fast and skillful to bring it back.

18" are for me YES PLEASE!!!! \:D/
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

lol,

see you in the gravel trap then!
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
matt_bakermk1

Post by matt_bakermk1 »

Just read this all through - thanks everyone - really useful!

Just a quick query though - looking at touring cars for example, you see many commonly available hatchbacks/saloons racing using larger wheels than stock, and not all teh teams run in classes where the entire setup is reworked - indeed - you see a wide range of alloy wheel sizes available across the range from the showroom and I doubt very much that they make much effort to change the suspension setups. So how do we know for sure that every package is designed to be the optimum - and if not, just what is?

Even Toyota moved from 14" on early Mk2 to 15"... And at the time the MR2 was built, 15" was considered a big alloy wheel - so it fitted into the cost constraints of the package at the time. Given that we accept a Boxter runs MacPherson struts and happily runs very well on 18's, is it not fair to assume that an MR2 with some additional suspension development *could* run better on larger than stock sizes?

If all it comes down to is the ability of the car at 10/10ths to remain pointed where it needs to be, is it more down to driver skill or the car setup?

I guess what I'm saying is, given a choice of any off the shelf components currently available, could an MR2 be set up that would be faster with 18's than it could be with 15's? I don't for one minute assume it would be a nicer driving experience, but simply that it might be faster? And in turn, just how much copst would we be talking to get to that point...

What did the TRD or SARD MR2 racers use given a racing team budget to set them up?

I've probably just rambled some total poo there, but hopefully some of it comes across how it sounded in my own head :wink:
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

looking at touring cars for example, you see many commonly available hatchbacks/saloons racing using larger wheels than stock, and not all teh teams run in classes where the entire setup is reworked

If you're talking about something like BTCC or ETCC, those are seriously reworked. If you're talking about 750mc Stock Hatch, they run standard rim and tyre combinations, and their suspension is a lot stiffer (and the car is as well, once you put a roll cage in).

indeed - you see a wide range of alloy wheel sizes available across the range from the showroom and I doubt very much that they make much effort to change the suspension setups. So how do we know for sure that every package is designed to be the optimum - and if not, just what is?
- there will be a designed in range of wheels. Having said that, our old Focus had larger profile tyres than our new one, and you can certainly notice the difference..

Given that we accept a Boxter runs MacPherson struts and happily runs very well on 18's, is it not fair to assume that an MR2 with some additional suspension development *could* run better on larger than stock sizes?

It's not quite as simple as saying "boxster has struts, therefor anything which the Boxster can do, the Mr2 can do as well" - even with some 'development', there are lots and lots of variables which come into play, the stiffness of the chassis, the unsprung weight, the weight distribution of the car, the compliance in the suspension, ride, as well as the fundamental geometry of the system, which is pretty hard to alter.

If all it comes down to is the ability of the car at 10/10ths to remain pointed where it needs to be, is it more down to driver skill or the car setup?

Its more about only needing to drive at 8/10ths to be ahead of everybody else :) If you are driving at 10/10ths (or beyond) then it's up to the driver to keep it pointed in the right direction. A more agressive setup (with wider section tyres and lower profiles) will make it harder to drive quicky, because the car will let go quickly.

I guess what I'm saying is, given a choice of any off the shelf components currently available, could an MR2 be set up that would be faster with 18's than it could be with 15's? I don't for one minute assume it would be a nicer driving experience, but simply that it might be faster? And in turn, just how much copst would we be talking to get to that point...

Probably, but a similarly powered car with smaller wheels will probably be quicker around a track than one with larger wheels, just because of the acceleration difference - without even thinking about handling.

What did the TRD or SARD MR2 racers use given a racing team budget to set them up?

A spaceframe chassis with a mr2 shell?

Good points though, and I'd add YMMV and IMHO to all that!
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
ryan

Post by ryan »

Bakerman,
One of the reasons for the 14" to 15" (rev 2 ) upgrade was to accomodate the bigger brakes, but it was also to shut up the early complaints about wayward handling of the rev 1. I think geometry, anti roll bar mods and the 15" wheels with Yokos instead of bridgestones were the sum of the 'upgrade' from rev 1 to 2, though don't quote me, and i'm sure someone will be along to correct me if i'm wrong; my memory is not all that good anymore...... :cry:

Ryan
matt_bakermk1

Post by matt_bakermk1 »

Hi Ryan,

That was kind of exactly why I made the comment - what Toyota saw fit as the ultimate result of all that expensive initial R&D wasn't actually the best setup. So when people say that xyz manufacturer spent all that money getting the best possible package isn't necessarily fact. It's more appropriate to say its the best cost compromise within any given design brief - they'll ultimately be working to a budget - and large wheels, more expensive suspension, bigger brakes etc etc doesn't always figure in the budget allowance. Thus a car is launched with wheels smaller than what could be potentially the best possible set up.

This is all very much speculation - and it may be that the MR2 really is at it's best on 15's, but give Toyota another 2-3 grand on the retail price of the MR2 (reasonable given what we often spend on wheels,tyres and suspension compenents in the course of modifying) and ask them to do the work again now and I wonder if it would still have 15's?
ryan

Post by ryan »

matt_bakermk1 wrote:Hi Ryan,

That was kind of exactly why I made the comment - what Toyota saw fit as the ultimate result of all that expensive initial R&D wasn't actually the best setup. So when people say that xyz manufacturer spent all that money getting the best possible package isn't necessarily fact. It's more appropriate to say its the best cost compromise within any given design brief - they'll ultimately be working to a budget - and large wheels, more expensive suspension, bigger brakes etc etc doesn't always figure in the budget allowance. Thus a car is launched with wheels smaller than what could be potentially the best possible set up.

This is all very much speculation - and it may be that the MR2 really is at it's best on 15's, but give Toyota another 2-3 grand on the retail price of the MR2 (reasonable given what we often spend on wheels,tyres and suspension compenents in the course of modifying) and ask them to do the work again now and I wonder if it would still have 15's?

I see what you are saying.
Its pretty well known that Toyota raided their parts bin to develop the MR2 as other manufacturers do to save money ( I think the brakes are also fitted to the Carina but maybe the rears are not vented! \:D/ ).
As for the handling issue of rev1's in ther UK (n/a spec), there was some disagreement over whether there were really 'problems' when looking back at old issues of test mags.....
Hmmm.... :-k
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Could well be something more like..

Toyota bods develop using rev1 na.. few months later, they decide to shove in the turbo engine - handling now not quite right for extra torque, so toyota bods have to make the car a bit 'safer' by modifying roll bars etc for the rev2.
matt_bakermk1

Post by matt_bakermk1 »

Good point - and weren't most of the changes down to press guys who couldn't cope with the handling on the limit?
I seem to recall some more experienced testers (read race drivers) actually preferred the early revs handling traits as it was a more involving experience?

Oh well, I'vbe had my 2p's worth and got plenty of useful advice so I'll shut up now.

Thanks all!
the_did

Post by the_did »

Ive got lightweight racing 16" with 45's all round. I found with the very low and harsh ride it makes driving in the wet even more of a nightmere. I also get alot of bounce on the tyres due to the lack of movement in the suspension.

My old one had standard wheels and susp and felt alot better at high speeds on uneven roads, but compared to my new one it looked xxxx.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I saw a few people knocking the MacPherson strut setup because they make the camber value change , to me this is a good thing .
During cornering the strut compresses and due to the lower suspension link moving in an arc , the camber value is increased .
This is a good thing , because if it didn't , the contact patch of the tyre would be more on the outside edge of the tyre , due to tyre deformation . The increased camber value , allows the tyre to have a fuller width foot print .

With most double wish-bone suspension setups , the wish-bones are unequal in length , this has the effect of increasing the camber value , under compression , just like the MacPherson setup .

When I first got my MR2 it needed new tyres , so I went to the tyre shop . When I got there I had the correct size tyres fitted to the rear , instead of fitting the correct sized tyres to the front , I fitted ones with a lower aspect ratio (195x50x15 instead of the correct size 195x55x15) , because they were cheaper :oops: .
The result was the car tried to throw me off backwards at every bend , this introduction to oversteer was a real eye opener to me and taught me to respect this car like no other before .

Luckily I recognised my mistake and the next set of tyres were of the correct size , and to say the car was transformed is an understatement .

I was amazed that such a small change could upset the car in such a way , I wouldn't have believed it if someone had told me . With the right sized tyres the car has become very predictable and an absolute joy to drive on the ragged edge , it doesn't scare me any more and is easily balanced on the throttle now .

Rev2 MR2-turbo (LSD) , bog standard + K&N panel .

Return to “Mechanical”