Escaped hamster?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tommullin

Escaped hamster?

Post by tommullin »

Im living out of an SW20 at the moment and so have a lot in the frunk, namely water, oil, screenwash, jack, tools, overalls, a couple of spares, some clothes and a coat. everything else i own is in the boot.

anyway, i was topping up some fluids the other day and having a general check over some stuff so was in the frunk. i had to dig deep so emptied it out and at the bottom were some decayed looking acorns. didnt think much of it. nearly a week later i needed some tools, but when i opened the bonnet there were a couple more acorns on top of all the stuff, and some of my coat missing (the furry lining). as i looked closer there are deposits of very small (like coarse cracked black pepper) poo. im staying in a very rural area so i assume mice, although some people have said squirrels. thing is im not sure where they get in? there was a rubber bung around the loom for the lights on the drivers side that had come out of place so i have refitted that, emptied frunk, inspected and refitted everything. but is there anywhere else for anything to get in? i dont really want any wires nibbled and there isnt much coat left for them to chew if its going to keep me warm!

any help appreciated!

Tom
BTWW

Re: Escaped hamster?

Post by BTWW »

There's a drainage hole in the very bottom of the spare wheel well. Guess you could try bunging that up.
tommullin

Post by tommullin »

its a rev1, and i only saw one drain hole at the bottom. but this seemed to be very close to an undertray? it certainly didnt look look like enough room for anything to get in, not enough for a fingering even with my slender digits! i know they can come through small holes but im sure the one in the middle at the bottom isnt the culprit. im hoping the wiring loom hole for the lights was the offender but i really want to get this sorted before i start losing wires and there isnt much light to investigate!

i do appreciate your help and i will try blocking the drain hole with something thatll still allow some drainage from condensation and spillages etc. but if anyone knows of any other possible entrances please let me know before i need to replace wires!

thanks again,

Tom
BTWW

Post by BTWW »

There's also a large hole behind the battery where the heater pipes enter the frunk from the fuel tank tunnel.
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Put a cat under there. All rodents hate cats. :thumleft:
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

there you go...it's prob cos you de-catted your car...slap the cat back on and see what happens.
Torero

Post by Torero »

djpkins wrote:there you go...it's prob cos you de-catted your car...slap the cat back on and see what happens.

:clap: :clap: :mrgreen: rofl
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

I had a mouse living in my Mk1 once.. it scared the absolute crap out of me when I saw it's beady eyes looking up at me and I ran away screaming when it moved :lol: .. then my mate did exactly the same when he looked as he didn't believe me. We must have looked like a right pair! :gayfight:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
tommullin

Post by tommullin »

haha, very funny! maybe ill have to put the cat back then! but in all seriousness thanks for the advice about the hole behind the battery, expanding foam it is then i guess! just hope they dont eat through that and then add rodent sick to all the rodent sh!t ive got to clean up!

Tom
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

look around very carefully behing your dashboard - this time of year any small rodent is likely hibernating!
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

but dont kill the poor little thing, all he wants is a nice warm place to live :cry: :wink:
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Mice. They can squeeze in anywhere, if you can get a pencil in a hole, a mouse can get in. Only time I ever saw rodent in a car was in my Dads old Triumph Herald :lol: You could also see the road passing underneath you through the hole in the floor... :shock:
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Mouse trap in the frunk maybe?
Draven

Post by Draven »

Ollie@SkyInsurance wrote:I had a mouse living in my Mk1 once.. it scared the absolute crap out of me when I saw it's beady eyes looking up at me and I ran away screaming when it moved :lol: .. then my mate did exactly the same when he looked as he didn't believe me. We must have looked like a right pair! :gayfight:

:mrgreen:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”