[Mk2] [Turbo] Nur Spec R alternative - advice pls

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rixx

[Mk2] [Turbo] Nur Spec R alternative - advice pls

Post by Rixx »

I've been working on an MR2 project for a while - almost there. Currently running 390rwhp but the nur spec r exhaust is just far too loud now..

its ridiculous and my neighbours are going to call the police on me one of these days..

Any ideas what exhaust suits/sounds good on the MR2 without breaking windows?

Cheers
RS
djpkins

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Nur Spec R alternative - advice pls

Post by djpkins »

lol...your running 390 rwhp mate...what do you expect? maybe something with big cans like a Dep2 , one for sale on here..a Pro version.
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Fit a bung :wink:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Rixx wrote:I've been working on an MR2 project for a while - almost there. Currently running 390rwhp but the nur spec r exhaust is just far too loud now..

its ridiculous and my neighbours are going to call the police on me one of these days..

Any ideas what exhaust suits/sounds good on the MR2 without breaking windows?

Cheers
RS

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=155632

thats what you want :thumleft:

Quiter and Better flow than a NurSpec as well..... Prob one of the best flowing MR2 Exhausts made :thumleft:
Rixx

Post by Rixx »

Thanks for the replys gents.. Il defo look into the bung and dep 2
Marf

Post by Marf »

Fujitsubo RM01A. :thumleft:

I have one on my car. Only a db or so louder than stock at idle but comes alive in the high revs.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

a car with that power and a bung just isnt right lol
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:a car with that power and a bung just isnt right lol

True true, mine will hopefully be getting mapped soon if I can find someone suitable, but my bung will stay in. The nur spec on full chat is just too much !
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

I got a HKS Silent Hi-Power on my MR2 and I can't fault it. Is still quite a long exhaust so tuned for torque like the Blitz Nur is. Sounds good on full chat also :D.

Chris
Mr Rapey Banana WILL get you...oh yes! :)
Rixx

Post by Rixx »

Gents

This has become an issue again.. I've received significant complaints and HAVE to change the exhaust before i'm on a most wanted list..

I'm veering toward the HKS Hi-Power Silent exhaust.

Thoughts?
Nic

Post by Nic »

There's this RSR exhaust for sale at the moment.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=166242
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Hi

I had the same problem with the departure 2 pro and starting my car at 06.00 every morning, it would vibrate the house windows and you could hear me in the next road before I got home!

I Changed to the HKS Hi-power and its much quieter and no complaints or snide comments from my neighbours! Worked for me and quite free flowing!

I have the stainless steel version so all's good!

Hope that helps mate :thumleft:
Nic

Post by Nic »

HKS Hi Power - Stainless steel back box/mild steel piping

HKS Silent Hi Power - 100% stainless steel
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Rixx

Post by Rixx »

Are the HKS Hi Power and HKS Silent Hi Power the same in terms of performance?

I would love to get the Silent Hi Power but it is a shiny penny to say the least. What is the cheapest anyone has seen? Or put another way, where is the best place to source one?
Nic

Post by Nic »

Rixx wrote:Are the HKS Hi Power and HKS Silent Hi Power the same in terms of performance?

I would love to get the Silent Hi Power but it is a shiny penny to say the least. What is the cheapest anyone has seen? Or put another way, where is the best place to source one?

They have the same diameter piping and are the same design so performance should be the same. The Silent Hi-Power exhausts come up for sale new/used on Yahoo Auctions now and again.

HKS Hi-Power (shaded piping is mild steel)

HKS Silent Hi-Power
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Rixx

Post by Rixx »

This is awesome Nic - cheers!

I ordered the bung for the Nur Spec R last night (lost the one that came with it). I can't recall whether this made a difference to the db output all that much though..

Would I need to get the car mapped to the new exhaust (vs the nur spec I take off) to account for differences in back pressure and exhaust flow etc.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Rixx wrote:I ordered the bung for the Nur Spec R last night (lost the one that came with it). I can't recall whether this made a difference to the db output all that much though..

I have a bung for my Blitz NUR R it does reduce the noise level quite a bit but it has a bad effect on the response of the car, I never use mine for that reason.

I bought a 3" stainless steel Jetex silencer that I was going to weld into the L shaped mid pipe to reduce the noise level, although I've got use to the exhaust now so may not bother.

Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

I have a fujitsubo super ti exhaust which I'm selling if you're interested mate.

Very free flowing, and stock quiet.

It's in superb condition, barely a mark on it. And extremely rare to boot :thumleft:

I'd like £300 for it
Rixx

Post by Rixx »

Nic wrote:
Rixx wrote:I ordered the bung for the Nur Spec R last night (lost the one that came with it). I can't recall whether this made a difference to the db output all that much though..

I have a bung for my Blitz NUR R it does reduce the noise level quite a bit but it has a bad effect on the response of the car, I never use mine for that reason.

I bought a 3" stainless steel Jetex silencer that I was going to weld into the L shaped mid pipe to reduce the noise level, although I've got use to the exhaust now so may not bother.

This is very interesting mate. How much did you pay for the silencer? Do Jetex do the best ones? Any info. you could provide with the sourcing of one may just remove my need for a brand new exhaust!!
Nic

Post by Nic »

Rixx wrote:This is very interesting mate. How much did you pay for the silencer? Do Jetex do the best ones? Any info. you could provide with the sourcing of one may just remove my need for a brand new exhaust!!

The Jetex silencer is one of the only off the shelf 3" stainless steel silencers small enough to fit, it'll be tight but with the end pipes removed it should be possible to weld onto the mid pipe.

See here http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/custom_p ... a=3.0+inch
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo

Return to “Modifications”