i am getting a track car.. which one?

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pistol pete

i am getting a track car.. which one?

Post by pistol pete »

no i am coming back to the mr2 fold again in a way...
i want one simply as a track car

now i love my mk1's and know them inside and out...
but most are a bit rotten nowday..
i like the mk2.. but know its a bigger car and may not be as good on track...

hmm which do i get i cannot decide.. i know the mk2 will be a lot more solid..
i am thinking stink with NA as a lot less to go wrong, and if i ever really get into it can be change to race car..

hmmm choices... and opinions..
ashley

Re: i am getting a track car.. which one?

Post by ashley »

Mk 2, rev3 NA tin top highly recommended trackday fun, strip it to the bones, get it set up right and you'll have a ball :thumleft:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

cool... ill prob end up with a rev 1.. start off cheap and go from there.. but it will be fully stripped..
i am thinkin mk2 as a mk1 i will forever be chasing rot..
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

I'm beginning to see Patrick's line of thought and if I was starting from scratch now I'd probably go with a mk3.

Most of the positive characteristics of a mk1 but without the hassle of running a 25 year old car.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

kaiowas wrote:I'm beginning to see Patrick's line of thought and if I was starting from scratch now I'd probably go with a mk3.

Most of the positive characteristics of a mk1 but without the hassle of running a 25 year old car.

much more money though.. i would love one..
this is gonna be my start of track dayz etc.. so spending at little as possible to start with.. make sure what i get is sound then decent pads and tires etc before have a go on track.. then go from there..
ashley

Post by ashley »

pistol pete wrote:cool... ill prob end up with a rev 1.. start off cheap and go from there.. but it will be fully stripped..
i am thinkin mk2 as a mk1 i will forever be chasing rot..

I'd still go rev3 as a start point, they are pretty damn cheap at the moment anyway, plus you get better brakes and a bit more power as a starting point \:D/

I would have suggested a mk3 as well, but mk2's have got so cheap now that it makes more sense for cheap track day fun...as long as you steer clear of forced induction :eye:
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

whatever your choice if you get a mk2 getting anything other than a tintop is self defeating. Stiffness ftw!
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Well I have one.... Very cheap.. with years mot and tax.. and new tires all round.. and for what I paid for it I can sell the lovely retrimmed leather seats and get all my money back
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

kaiowas wrote:I'm beginning to see Patrick's line of thought and if I was starting from scratch now I'd probably go with a mk3.

I completely agree Phil :thumleft:

I'm bored of chasing rust and silly little issues with a mk1
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Great stuff that you got a car, Pete, but the not the one I'd recommend! Still at least it's not a turbo! Rev1's have the iffy suspension that makes them even harder to balance than a Rev2/3.

I remember driving a Rev1 NA round the old Anglesey. Got to School, then into Abbotts and all of sudden I've spun out. Hardly any warning, no feedback. Was very tricky. Some people like this, but not many.

Well, you'll still have a lot of fun, no doubt, but you'll need to be quick with the opposite lock and you will learn a lot with a Rev1!

If you'd said earlier, I would have said MK1 MX5! Cheap, better handling, much more forgiving and easier to balance.

So, where and when do you think it'll be making it's track debut?
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

cheers lauren..
i just seeing it as a starting point i hope..

first track day will be either brands or lydden.. do a close one first, a track i know..
as to when.. prob early next year i want a couple of months to get it sorted and ready.. make sure all is safe :thumleft:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Pete, honestly, MK3 is the way to go.

I've seen them for as low as a grand recently!!! You can pick them up a lot cheaper (particularly this time of year) than you think!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

tonigmr2 wrote:Pete, honestly, MK3 is the way to go.

I've seen them for as low as a grand recently!!! You can pick them up a lot cheaper (particularly this time of year) than you think!

I honestly think a MK1 MX5 is a better bet. No chocolate engine syndrome and cheaper on parts with more availability, plus lots more people track them.

Pete, just sell it and buy an MX5. :tongue:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Meh, I've driven a Mk1 MX5 and thought it was just too horrible to live with, the cheapest nastiest plastics and switches I've ever seen. Same price as a car that's 10 years newer too. :eye:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

tonigmr2 wrote:Meh, I've driven a Mk1 MX5 and thought it was just too horrible to live with, the cheapest nastiest plastics and switches I've ever seen. Same price as a car that's 10 years newer too. :eye:

It's a track car Toni! He's not going to care about that. They are great to drive. :+:

Funnily enough there was a buying guide in last month's EVO (nearly got round to reading it).
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

i have had 2 mx5's
yeah they are fun.. but not for me...
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Well, you'll certainly learn a lot, Pete. Think that if you can learn to drive a Rev 1 quick on track and in the wet too, you'll be quick in anything.

So, I'd say it's a challenge.

Not necessarily a bad thing.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

I always enjoy a challenge... Most of my mk2's have been rev 1 so sort of used to them.. but on track is gonna be completely different kettle of fish
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

Hi Ashley

What kind ot things do you think should be done to 'get it set up right'? I've decided to keep my rev3 as a normalish road-going car but primarily for use on track.

Marc

ashman wrote:Mk 2, rev3 NA tin top highly recommended trackday fun, strip it to the bones, get it set up right and you'll have a ball :thumleft:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”