i am getting a track car.. which one?

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

brgbrm

Re: i am getting a track car.. which one?

Post by brgbrm »

I don't know that brakes pads are such an issue, really. If just starting to go on track, one of my faults is braking too much. Yes, the brakes must work and work reliably, the fluid must be reliable for example, but I don't think you need hugely powerful pads.

There was an interesting thread, I think it was on here but not sure as I can't find it now, about someone geting some kind of record sprinting round Goodwood. I asked hime where he braked apart from at the end of one the main straights and he replied he didn't brake anywhere! Mind yu I seem to recall him going to list all the injures he'd had over the years ..

kaiowas wrote:
this is gonna be my start of track dayz etc.. so spending at little as possible to start with.. make sure what i get is sound then decent pads and tires etc before have a go on track.. then go from there..
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

Lauren, I was thinking at one of getting an MX5 instead of the rev3 mk2, but isn't the mk1 mx5 very, looks it on paper at least, under powered by comparision? And I think they lack roll bars?

Lauren wrote:
I honestly think a MK1 MX5 is a better bet. No chocolate engine syndrome and cheaper on parts with more availability, plus lots more people track them.
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

Why do you say that?

pistol pete wrote:i have had 2 mx5's
yeah they are fun.. but not for me...
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

marcbowden wrote:Lauren, I was thinking at one of getting an MX5 instead of the rev3 mk2, but isn't the mk1 mx5 very, looks it on paper at least, under powered by comparision? And I think they lack roll bars?

It's not about power, Marc. MX5 has a much nicer handling balance, a more plentiful parts supply both stock and aftermarket. It's also a much lighter car which is a double bonus, because a lighter car is more nimble and lighter on things like brakes and tyres. A 1.8 with LSD would make a good car. Also there are plenty of track 'ready' cars around for sale.

You need to look at power to weight ratio as well. MK2 MR2s are heavy.

MX5's don't lack ARB's, they have double wishbone suspension all round too, which is desirable.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

I think i also would have gone for the rev3 na. Solid car with good power, and rust not really a common problem.

You do see allot of mx5s, but rust is a big problem with them, and a little underpowered.

Each to there own really, i would imagine an mx5 easier to control and work on. I have never driven one so don’t really know.
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

I meant roll bar as in protecting my head :)

Lauren wrote:Lauren, I was thinking at one of getting an MX5 instead of the rev3 mk2, but isn't the mk1 mx5 very, looks it on paper at least, under powered by comparision? And I think they lack roll bars?

MX5's don't lack ARB's, they have double wishbone suspension all round too, which is desirable.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

marcbowden wrote:I meant roll bar as in protecting my head :)

LOL, thought you were talking about ARB's. Well you have the windscreen I guess. Probably best not to roll it really. :+:

To be fair chances of rolling must be pretty slim.

It's not so much that an MX5 is easier to control (though it is), it's that it's far more communicative and has a chassis free of foibles which has a nicer balance to it and is less likely to bite you.

I agree a Rev3 NA is probably the best MK2 for trackdays as it has a bit more power and more resolved handling than the Rev 1.
Mr2 CJ

Post by Mr2 CJ »

pete - After seeing it today I think you should buy my v6 (and it is a rev3).
Drifter

Post by Drifter »

Any reason people don't track turbo's?

Thinking of getting into track days, as my friend has an amazing golf he plays with, but unsure what direction i should take.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

They do.. just more to go wrong.. easier to go wrong and more expensive when it does..
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Plus people, like on road cars, think, "oh, I'll just up the boost a touch more, it'll be fine" then batter it for half an hour straight.
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Drifter wrote:Any reason people don't track turbo's?

Thinking of getting into track days, as my friend has an amazing golf he plays with, but unsure what direction i should take.

Loads of people track turbo cars. Depends what you want really, this is key to decide.

The more basic a car the less there is to go wrong.

The lighter the car, the easier it will be on tyres, suspension and fuel.

Lighter cars always have an edge handling wise and are more nimble.

Loads of power can be fun, but I'd advise concentrating on power to weight ratio and handling balance.

Turbo cars have poorer throttle response which is important if you are 4 wheel drifting through every corner and want to make slight adjustments.

I'd just say do your research. Cars that are really popular to track are popular for a reason. Look at running costs and what you want to achieve.

Examples of good track cars:

Light, cheap good handling rwd:

MX5

Light, stonking handling fwd:

DC2 Integra Type-R

Trailering a car:

Caterham, any caterham really.

Light, stonking handling mid-engined:

Elise S1/S2

Light good handling mid-engined:

MK3 MR2

Good handling expensive cars to run:

E46 M3
Scooby-doos
Skylines

Reason is they are heavy and have more expensive tyres and cost lots more in fuel and wear parts like balljoints and the lot. Great if you can afford it, but consider that a cost of a trackday is around £150, then add fuel, tyre wear (if it's dry) and any consumables. Add the cost of a few bacon butties and a burger and lots of drinks too. It's not cheap, so running costs of the car are fairly crucial unless you are of the swan variety.
Drifter

Post by Drifter »

Nice advice there :thumleft:

Think i need to have a proper think about this, before i go wild :lol:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Make a good choice, you'll have fun it won't leave you completely penniless and hopefully the car will serve you well.

As an example I've always (well I had a dedicated track car once) tracked my road cars. This is because I can't really afford to run a dedicated track car and trailer.

My current car is cheap to track. I took it out at Anglesey in July to try it out and realised I was an idiot for running on tyres that turned out to be 8 years old. I knew they were crap JDM TDF's. In hindsight I should have put new tyres on for the trackday as it really ruined the handling of the car.

It's sorted now, so lesson learnt there. I've decided to go for 15" wheels to sharpen response a little and give me a much better tyre choice. I am looking at changing my ARB's too.

But that's all alright, but if you are starting out on trackdays, rather than changing bits on your car every 5 minutes in a quest for more power or better handling, concentrate on learning technique. It does take a bit of time and no matter how much talent you might have there is still a lot to learn. It's about getting the basics, like steering, how it relates to throttle input, balancing the car and the like that are crucial to get right. Then you can build on it. Don't be afraid/ashamed to get instruction, it pays off.

These techniques are not covered in driving lessons btw. ;)

Once you've got the hang of things and done some UK circuits, it's great to head off to the more exotic and historic locations such as Spa, Nurburgring, Zandvoort and the like.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”