[All] [Generic] Remote start alarm recommendations

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Maverick9999

[All] [Generic] Remote start alarm recommendations

Post by Maverick9999 »

I've been toying with the idea of changing my alarm and was thinking of getting on which has a remote start feature on it whilst I was at it. Ideally needs to be thatcham cat 1 for insurance reasons.

I've only been able to find Clifford alarms (avantguard 5.5/concept 650) which have the remote start option but I've been told the avantguard 5.5 has been discontinued and the prices of the systems are quite high.

I was wondering if there are any other systems I should consider and whether people had any experience from fitting them on their mr2's?

Thanks in advance
alanmr2turbo

Re: [All] [Generic] Remote start alarm recommendations

Post by alanmr2turbo »

You will probably find your insurance will be void if you fit the remote start.

Even the alarms makers with this option are starting to warn you about this.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

What is the benefit of having a remote start? I never really get why you would want that? unless you wanted to remote start on your drive and warm the car before leaving the house maybe?
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Which you can also get into trouble with as you are not meant to leave a car unattended while its running.

Remote start is pointless and more hassle than its worth
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Can you get into trouble for leaving the car running on your own driveway or in your own back yard unnatended? Or just if it is parked on the road or a public place? If I leave my car on my drive to warm up whilst I sit inside with a coffee (ten min on the turbo timer no keys and locked) and the police are going to be that sad to knock on my door and ask me to go and either switch off or sit inside it, when it is off the public road on my personal drive... (I know what people will say, `statistics of people getting cars stolen off the drive, police just doing their job` etc etc...)

Things like that, and being forced to insure even when it is taxed if all I want to do is leave it on my drive as an ornament for a couple of weeks whilst I get around to sorting some insurance and shop around without being rushed, make me mad!

I agree though, remote start is not something I would go crazy to get, even I am not that lazy :lol: Guess it could look quite cool but if it is starting to cause issues with insurance I wouldnt bother.
Maverick9999

Post by Maverick9999 »

Yeah, the main reason is to warm the engine so I can get in and drive away. Some of the Clifford remote start alarm systems are thatcham CAT 1 certified so I didn't think there would be a problem, hence I was looking at their systems rather than others.

I hear the doors remain locked while the engine is started and if any attempt is made to actually move the car/open the doors without the fob the engine is cut and the alarm sounds. I presume that's how it's made safe and insurable but yes, I am aware of the law that says you shouldnt leave it unattended.

It's also cool beeing able to start the car using the fob (although the novelty will probably wear off :) ). My motivation for going this way was I only got one fob when I bought the car and the central locking on the car doesnt seem to be working when I use the fob/door console (although it thankfully works when I use the key in the door). I've been trying to trouble shoot it with replacing the CL relay and the door lock mechanism , the next thing to check replace would be how the alarm is connected to the CL, in case this is causing problems. I was hoping to sort it out by fitting a new alarm system and add some bells and whistles whilst I was at it :)
p5ycho

Post by p5ycho »

some of the clifford range are listed as Cat 1 even tho they have remote start,.
with regards to safety,
the doors remain locked with the clifford whilst its remote started..
and you can not leave the car in gear if it has been installed properly...
You have to setup the car for remote start everytime, before you get out the car , by putting on handbrake, then pressing 2 buttons on the fob,. you then turn keys off and take them out. engine stays running untill u get out shut door and arm the alarm..
then when u hit the start button the car starts up..
some fools wire it up in the automatic mode, which u dont need to setup anything, just turn car off and get out, hit 1 button the fob and car starts..
downside with this is, if you have left the car in gear , it will kangaroo into a wall or the car infront..

I fit alarms as a Hobby and have fitted many Clifford alarms over last few years, never had any problems with them, so if anyone wants any help or advice feel free to ask..

My gt4 has a concept 650 with black jax , remote start, remote windows, and the full shbang.. which Ive fitted myself..
my mr2 has the standard Toyota alarm with a cobra immobilisor, but I have fitted a universal remote start kit and auto window closure to work alongside the oem kit.. all works in harmony and I have never had any trouble with them..

Insurance companies indeed do not like remote start, and if you leave your car running and unattended, even if its on your own drive, the plod can do you for abandonment..
some bloke on the gt4oc had a telling of by a copper.. so be warned..
kayjay0_7

Post by kayjay0_7 »

p5ycho wrote:
some fools wire it up in the automatic mode, which u dont need to setup anything, just turn car off and get out, hit 1 button the fob and car starts..
downside with this is, if you have left the car in gear , it will kangaroo into a wall or the car infront..

Or even a flower bed #-o

p5ycho

Post by p5ycho »

aah I remember you posting this over on twobrutal..
did you get your alarm sorted mate>>?
kayjay0_7

Post by kayjay0_7 »

p5ycho wrote:aah I remember you posting this over on twobrutal..

not really had the time to look at it, I have pulled out the remote start module in the mean time :D
p5ycho

Post by p5ycho »

kayjay0_7 wrote:
p5ycho wrote:aah I remember you posting this over on twobrutal..

not really had the time to look at it, I have pulled out the remote start module in the mean time :D

Ok fair enough..
if you need help sorting it out , give me a shout when you ready,,
ryan

Post by ryan »

Ifound it very handy on cold winter mornings, demisted and nice and warm. I never once remote started it in gear as I never left the car in gear. Apparently it may now be illegal to leave your car in gear when parked?
I had an LEA826 alarm with cat 2 immobiliser
RickMcRick

Post by RickMcRick »

I've got the 650 with black jax, turbo timer and remote start.
The way I understand it, the 650 it's self is thatcham approved, however things like remote start and even the black jax which are add ons are not themselves thatcham tested. Whether they invalidate the insurance or not I don't know.

The alighting law for leaving a car unattended, I'm sure, only applied to the road, which includes anywhere the public have regular access too, including car parks, the curb, verges...

As for as safety goes, the remote start still leaves the alarm active so if someone tries to break into the car the engine will cut off and the alarm will sound, if you have the black jax too then I think it's in pretty safe hands. What would worry me is someone opportunist walking past and smashing your window thinking you've left he keys in and the engine running, then you still have the damage to deal with.
riot68

Post by riot68 »

D4N_V_U wrote:Things like that, and being forced to insure even when it is taxed if all I want to do is leave it on my drive as an ornament for a couple of weeks whilst I get around to sorting some insurance and shop around without being rushed, make me mad!.

Babysitting government, should be out catching criminals not treating us all like we could be...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

ryan wrote:Apparently it may now be illegal to leave your car in gear when parked?

Really? :-k Linky please.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

My good god. SURELY this is not true? So everybody will leave their cars in neutral, and when handbrakes start giving up on cars parked on hills... lol. You were joking right? Like, it may also be illegal to get in your car and actually drive it? :lol:
DavidB.UK

Post by DavidB.UK »

Hey guys,

New member here, just finished reading the thread.

Do we have anybody who works for a solicitor or insurance company that can verify the legalities of having/using a remote start system either clifford etc or stand alone from eBay or the like?

You can now have these kinds of features and lots more through your iPhone even! I think Viper do an app to use with their alarm system.

I have always believed that you can run the engine to warm up etc (unattended) as long as you are not on the road or public car park etc.

I must admit that whilst I do not have remote start fitted, very often I will start the car with the keys in and go have a cup of coffee (if of course in a safe enough location to do so) I can definitely see the merits of a remote start system for those cold frosty mornings, far more so if you also 'know' that the car is still secure.

I am just about to renew my insurance so I will make a point of asking the question when getting quotes. Personally, if it only bumps the premium slightly then why not!
Last edited by DavidB.UK on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickMcRick

Post by RickMcRick »

Hi, and welcome.

I'm pretty sure that it's illegal to leave you engine running while the car is stationary unless you are stopped in traffic or you are working on the vehicle.

This not only includes on the road, but also anywhere the public have access too, i.e. car parks, your drive way etc...

I can't find the a link to back that up at the moment, I'll have another look.

As for insurance, leaving the engine running with your keys in is most definitely a get out clause for them, and I'm pretty sure things like remote start and turbo timers are also included in this. I still have both though, I trust the clifford still protects the car well enough during warm up and cool down, as soon as you try and steel it the car stops, imobilises and sets the alarm off.

EDIT:
Quitting is dealt with by Regulation 107(1) of The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulation 1986 (S42 of the RTA 1988)

Regulation 107(2)(a). This states that no person shall cause or permit to be on any road any motor vehicle which is not attended by a person duly licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and the parking brake is effectively set. Exemptions to the requirements of this Regulation as to the stopping of the engine include a fire brigade vehicle, the engine of which is being used for any fire brigade purpose.

EDIT:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_070304
The Driver and the Environment. You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road. Generally, if the vehicle is stationary and is likely to remain so for more than a couple of minutes, you should apply the parking brake and switch off the engine to reduce emissions and noise pollution. However it is permissible to leave the engine running if the vehicle is stationary in traffic or for diagnosing faults.
Last edited by RickMcRick on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

You can do what you like with your remote start on private land, i.e. your driveway. However it is still your responsibility if anything goes wrong. Private land is anywhere where the public would not normally have access, and from a legal point of view, is not defined, and would therefore be a finding for the court in each individual case.

Leaving a car engine runiing and unattended in a public place (on a road or anywhere where the public would normally be expected to have access to) is an offence under S42 of the RTA 1988.

Also an offence under The Road Vehicles (Constriction and Use) Regulation 1986 (SI 1986/1078 ) - Regulation 107(2)(a). no person shall cause or permit to be on any road any motor vehicle which is not attended by a person duly licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and the parking brake is effectively set. Exemptions to the requirements of this Regulation as to the stopping of the engine include a fire brigade vehicle, the engine of which is being used for any fire brigade purpose.

Furthermore any theft whilst engine is running will not be covered by any insurance company.

The above applies regardless what make of alarm, or remote start is fitted, and regardless of how expensive it is.
DavidB.UK

Post by DavidB.UK »

Hey Guys,

Thank you for the replies.

Still curious this morning I called into the offices of a local insurance company and their definition was a little different to those given above.

They said that remote start was fine as long as the keys were not in the ignition, if the car was stolen/damaged with keys in the ignition they would not cover any loss or damages.

I also have to wonder exactly what is the definition of unattended?

Could I 'in theory' be sat inside finishing my morning coffee with the car idling on the drive/hotel car park etc if I could see it from where I was sat, does that count as unattended or not?

Anybody have any further thoughts?

Return to “ICE and Security”