[All] [Generic] Remote start alarm recommendations

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [All] [Generic] Remote start alarm recommendations

Post by Peter Gidden »

DavidB.UK wrote:Could I 'in theory' be sat inside finishing my morning coffee with the car idling on the drive/hotel car park etc if I could see it from where I was sat, does that count as unattended or not?

You could. And in practice, you'd get nicked for it if in a public place.

"Attended" means in the car, and in control.
DavidB.UK

Post by DavidB.UK »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:You could. And in practice, you'd get nicked for it if in a public place.

"Attended" means in the car, and in control.

Lol, fair enough! :lol:
RickMcRick

Post by RickMcRick »

DavidB.UK wrote:They said that remote start was fine as long as the keys were not in the ignition

That's cool, my remote start and turbo timer both obviously don't need the keys in the ignition, however...

DavidB.UK wrote:Could I 'in theory' be sat inside finishing my morning coffee with the car idling on the drive/hotel car park etc if I could see it from where I was sat, does that count as unattended or not?

Anybody have any further thoughts?

See the bit in bold from me previous post....

RickMcRick wrote:http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_070304
The Driver and the Environment. You MUST NOT leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road. Generally, if the vehicle is stationary and is likely to remain so for more than a couple of minutes, you should apply the parking brake and switch off the engine to reduce emissions and noise pollution. However it is permissible to leave the engine running if the vehicle is stationary in traffic or for diagnosing faults.

As mentioned, the public road does not end at the tarmac, it is anywhere the public have access too.

But also like I say, I have both and use both and in reality, I've never had any problems, just be mindful of when and where you're doing it, and if you get a £30 then you can't argue.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

I would also get in writing, specifically and unequivocalably, from your insurance company, a letter confirming they will be happy to pay out in the event of a theft claim when the engine is running and car unattended, even when locked.
DavidB.UK

Post by DavidB.UK »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:I would also get in writing, specifically and unequivocalably, from your insurance company, a letter confirming they will be happy to pay out in the event of a theft claim when the engine is running and car unattended, even when locked.

That's good advice!

Return to “ICE and Security”