[Mk2] [NA] standard alloys

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

steveaddy

[Mk2] [NA] standard alloys

Post by steveaddy »

hi ive currently got 17" alloys on my mr2 but they need a refurb and one tyre loses air so i was thinking of going back to the factory alloys and making the car totally standard.i still have the standard alloys which came with my car they are the 14" 1990 wheels that came on my g-limited.i wondered if there is anything i could do with the tyres to make them or the alloys to make the look a bit better,as the tyres ive got on look very big. could i do the stretched tyre look on alloys this small?
steve
craig

Re: [Mk2] [NA] standard alloys

Post by craig »

If you were going back to stock wheels, I'd go for some decent rubber in stock sizes and clean up the wheels :thumleft:
stevenb

Re: [Mk2] [NA] standard alloys

Post by stevenb »

Hi Steve,

I DIY painted my wheels when I bought the car.
Rubbed down using 3 grades off wet n dry grit paper.
2 x coats of Primer, paint and lacquer.
Came out very nice.
Cost me about £60 for paints & all materials including a box of gloves and a pack of masks.

I'm contemplating buying a new set of alloys so you could have mine for a decent price if you were interested. :thumleft:
Pics in my garage and I can get a close up of each if need be.
steveaddy

alloys

Post by steveaddy »

hi i got my old wheels out saturday and have blown the tyres up to check they are ok,they are good makes i have got on and good depth so i decided to spray them as i had some paint left from the wheels i got on now.they look good so far not finished yet,i spraying them a dark grey,there a lot easier to spray than the multi spoke alloys i got on that i did.i hope they will look ok when i put them back on. going from17" to 14" will be strange to look at thou, thanks for replies
steve
stevenb

Re: alloys

Post by stevenb »

steveaddy wrote:hi i got my old wheels out saturday and have blown the tyres up to check they are ok,they are good makes i have got on and good depth so i decided to spray them as i had some paint left from the wheels i got on now.they look good so far not finished yet,i spraying them a dark grey,there a lot easier to spray than the multi spoke alloys i got on that i did.i hope they will look ok when i put them back on. going from17" to 14" will be strange to look at thou, thanks for replies
steve

If it's only temporary then it's no bother what they look like mate. It's nice to have a set of winter wheels/tyres too. :thumleft:

I sprayed mine the Steel silver rather than the much brighter sparkle silver they are as standard. Really suits my car I think. So much so they I have decided to keep mine too.
Although I might refurb my rear wheels again in the spring doing a more detailed finish.

Return to “Modifications”