What are the 'must do's' before a track day?

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

smiley-81

What are the 'must do's' before a track day?

Post by smiley-81 »

Goodmorning All

After recently purchasing a Rev 2 Turbo in need of a little love, I sent it off to Pacific Works {top marks - thanks Luke!} :clap: to get a full bill of health and its running perfectly now.

However with my first track day approaching i wonder is there any vital things that i should be considering?

I keep reading about up graded intercoolers and charge coolers etc? And Tubbys getting very hot on track.

the car is completely standard and running standard boost - I would be grateful of any information and opinons Thanks :D
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Re: What are the 'must do's' before a track day?

Post by afennell »

Just check all fluids, (oil brake coolant). Make sure you have plenty of tread left on your tyres. Check your brakes have plenty of life left in them. Anything nearing the end of its life needs replacing before the track day as will probably not last.
Never put your hand brake on after leaving the track, do a slow down lad to cool your brakes a little. I had smoke coming off my front brakes once and had to go for a little drive around the car park to cool them.
Just enjoy at your own pace.
I normally only stay out for 10-15 mins , come in give the car a breather and check thinks over before going out again
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

No upgrades required, just a good service (as above). As said if you have never tracked it before 10-15 minute sessions, warm up and cool down laps and generally driving with mechanical sympathy will get you through the day
Keri-WMS

Post by Keri-WMS »

Make sure there's nothing loose in the car's cabin.

Normally it's tyres and brakes that fall short at trackdays, so most people upgrade but as it's your first one you should be ok - depends how hard you push the car.

Any sign of a soft brake pedal, ease off straight away and let the brakes cool as that'll be overheated brake fluid.
smiley-81

Post by smiley-81 »

thanks for the input chaps :thumleft:

Lastly, my cat. converter has been gutted and the car has a mongoose exhaust - am im going to be ok for track days? Is there anyway i can test before the day?
thanks
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

Just to add on to what the others have said:

Although this isn't car specific...
I'd say be more observant than ever on track.
Of course it depends what kind of people are on the track when you're out there but keep an eye on the mirrors when you can.
:thumleft:

Prior to the trackday itself, change the brake fluid to something that'll cope a bit better:
Motul RBF 600 or 660 is what I prefer.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-894-motul-r ... fluid.aspx

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1078-motul- ... fluid.aspx

(I think a couple of bottles will leave you with some topping up when required - not sure, as I just bought about 8 bottles in one go :lol: ).

Remember when coming back into the pits -
DONT PUT THE HAND BRAKE ON !
Leave it in gear, and always start the car with the clutch fully pressed down :lol: (I do that all of the time anyway better for the car).

For noise, it depends where you are, some places sound test you before going out, so make sure when they do, you've really run the car for a while.
'Loud' days are typically 105db, my one is 104.9 decatted, so you'll probably be ok. (ask the organisers what it is on your day specifically)
If you live near the track, go down on another track day and ask if they can test it quickly as you have one booked.
Or if you really want to test it, you could get a device from maplin but it's not going to be the same as their kit, so bare that in mind.

Obviously this depends on your driving but it's possibly worth changing the gearbox oil afterwards, it's not a necessity but I've seen some good enough reasons to do it. (maybe not after 1 day but a couple)

Which track are you heading to ?
smiley-81

Post by smiley-81 »

Thank you for your advice - hoping to get down to Bedford on the 29th for a noice day they are running-I'd go for the afternoon session, but noise level is 101 db and there's no refund if you get it wrong!
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Check out all your camera angles :whistle:
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

trackday insurance? :shock:
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
Keri-WMS

Post by Keri-WMS »

Tends to be £50-200/day (ish) and normally only covers your own car. Other people are there at their own risk, so technically at most track days if you hit them you'ne not liable!

If they hit you, and you're insured (or you bin it on your own) you should be covered.

The Nurburgring is like this during trackdays, BUT Touristenfarten ("public toll road") days are an issue, as UK insurers will try to get out of any claims - or pay out then recover the funds from you.

The annoying/ironic thing is trackday insurance won't cover you during Touristenfarten days - as its's technically a public road!

Good eh! I looked at getting road insurance from a German company but didn't get very far, German drivers are all fully insured for Touristenfarten.

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”