Question for those with high BHP mr2s...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RyanRs

Question for those with high BHP mr2s...

Post by RyanRs »

At my last tuning session up at surrey we made 500 fwhp @1.6 bar but had to stop well short of its limit due to a couple of problems, first being fuel pump developing a fault causing inconsistant FPR levels and second being heat soak in the IC due to the fans not being wired up. Anyway, I have a new pump on the way and soon ill be back up to surry pushing for 2 bar and hopefully another 100 bhp to go with it!

What i would like to know is.... How much difference is 600 bhp over 500bhp in terms of acceleration, brutness, drivability? I know its a hard one to answer but going from my prev power level of 420bhp (on the old smaller turbo) Too 500bhp on the 35r , even tho only 80bhp difference, the car now feels twice as fast! Its not uncommon for the wheels to light up mid way through second, and it really goes with a roar! Now, adding another 100bhp on top of that, will i get the same sensation all over again? making 500bhp seem quite tame?

I know the answer almost seems obvious being as 100bhp extra is a lot! but i also think in the back of my mind that there is the possability that it may not actually make much difference as acceleration is based around torque and therefore the only real difference will be a number and a lot more engine strain?!

Sorry for pulling the hard questions all the time! just excited to see what difference it will make!
jimGTS

Re: Question for those with high BHP mr2s...

Post by jimGTS »

When are you going?

For sure will feel faster, but would bet your only taking a couple of tens off a 0-60 time and maybe 1/2second over a 1/4mile.
You won't go from a 11-12second to a 6sec 1/4 mile :-)
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Yea i guess the car will be faster but i wonder if it will be noticable..like going from 'scary fast' to 'Terrifying'! haha. But i suppose, 600bhp with the right driver is 10 second 1/4 territory , which is GSXR1000 speeds so i guess that should make for a pretty terrifying drive on the road :D lol

Not sure when exactly ill be going yet tbh, ill prob pick a freezing cold 'Dry' day in november so the air is nice and dense, tuning then should mean smooth running in the summer when i actually use the car. Are you thinking of making a trip up?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

not sure, ive changed a couple of bits, so maybe werth a remap...

just wondered incase i had time to join ya for some joint mapping.
:eye:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

well ill let ya know nearer the time, im gona be aiming for mid november i reckon...
steve

Post by steve »

RyanRs wrote:well ill let ya know nearer the time, im gona be aiming for mid november i reckon...

how many can Ryan map in a day? i still need mine mapped (800s & powerFC left to fit)

i've been running 0.7 bar for far too long :lol:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Well iirc i have known him to do 9 in one day before! usually takes an hour ~ two tops depending on issues etc. I think you should come up too steve!

Wonder if we could convince Nick to let someone drive him and his car up too, all he needs is a re-map!
Ryan.g

Post by Ryan.g »

Only 9 if they are tweaks like i did with the celica club.

Depends on Ecu and spec. If its a Powerfc on say a Basic spec 3sgte i have now done 234 so got some pretty damn close base maps :D

But say if it was a Syvecs or Pectel then it would be 1 per 2 days.

Ryan
Chris

Post by Chris »

Yes. Comparing 500-600bhp is like night and day!

It's mental fast where as 500 is nice/quick. :lol:

Expect tyres lighting up in higher gears than 2nd with no warning, to look at the speedo when joining motorways on boost and realising the dial has gone past the final digit, random brown pant moments if there is the slightest bit of damp on the road etc etc.

Good luck on the day! :thumleft:
gavinda

500+

Post by gavinda »

HI, are u on a 5S block or a 3S?
Martinbattye

Post by Martinbattye »

how much you making at the wheels??

500whp is downright ridiculous in a road car.. shoot for that :-) lol
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Im at 425 at the wheels at the moment but my replacement bosh 044 turned today so hopefully ill be back up for more! 600 fwhp is my goal so if i get there ill call it quits. Altho, C16 and 2.5 bar does sound tempting..would work well with the HTA billet 35r ;D

Im on a gen3 3s block but its sleeved. guess only time will tell to whether it cracks or not :/
gavinda

rr

Post by gavinda »

u running standard arp or arp2000 head studs or L19?
the gt35r has a habit of lifting the head, i have definately lifted the head or cracked block at 540~ cant be replacing head gasket and putting L19 studs in then waiting to crack so gonna build 5s slowly now.
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

how can the puny 255/265/275 tyres even transfer 400+ whp to the ground ? can't imagine that... :evil:
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
gavinda

rrr

Post by gavinda »

i find mine spin and they are 285, so now i am thinkin r888s for next year, which have awesome grip (allegedly).

and an awesome price tag lol
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

285? you have the same wheels as mine.. d1r's... 17x9 in the back ?
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
gavinda

rr

Post by gavinda »

18x12 gtr-d.

but u can get a d1r in 17x10 if u need more rim, u may need an arch roll.
mine has abflug arches.
Chris

Re: rr

Post by Chris »

gavinda wrote:u running standard arp or arp2000 head studs or L19?
the gt35r has a habit of lifting the head, i have definately lifted the head or cracked block at 540~ cant be replacing head gasket and putting L19 studs in then waiting to crack so gonna build 5s slowly now.

Never had head lift on mine? Never heard it to be common?
gavinda

rr

Post by gavinda »

Wot boost were you running?
i had heard the gt35r could lift the head with stock arps before i lifted it myself.
driving style could account for your good fortune not having cracked the block nor lifted the head.
i would be intrested to see your dyno graph :thumleft:
Chris

Post by Chris »

I was running 2.5bar of boost on a 35R, 1.06a/r.

Unfortunately the graphs are long gone like the car, however it was 525@wheels if I remember right.

I know of 3 other 35r cars that are built by same person, never had a lifted head? Nor cracked blocks. All running 2bar plus too.

With regard to driving style, I spent plenty of time at York and used it nearly everyday when on the road!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”