How do I remove the washer jets?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

KarlBristol

How do I remove the washer jets?

Post by KarlBristol »

As it says really ... how do I remove the washer jets on the bonnet

Someones replaced the standard ones with some horrible tacky led ones that light up and they need to go! lol.

I've tried to take them off but they don't want to pull up and out. Any suggestions?

Also where is best to either get originals or chrome replacements??
What has everyone else done with their washer jets?
g.lewarne

Re: How do I remove the washer jets?

Post by g.lewarne »

the original (and most aftermarket) ones are held in place by opposing plastic springy clip things underneath , usually a case of compressing them with pliers or wiggling with a screwdriver to pop them free.

Perhaps yours are glued on ? :shock:
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

im guessing there glued if there the tacky chrome with blue l.e.d ones you get on the cover of fast car lol
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

They're very tacky green ones with LEDs actually! (Perfectly suit a blue car!) lol.

I've managed to get them moving, so they will rotate on the spot, but they won't pull out. So I dont think they're glued on.

I can't see how I'd get a scredriver or pliers underneath, in order to undo any nuts as my bonnet is double skinned :(

Any suggestions?
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

insulation tape on the outside around the jets (to protect the paint)

then clamp a mole grip on the jet and twist / wiggle / destroy it till it comes off ?

EDIT:

scratch that - a single stick of dynamite carefully located would get them off :thumleft:
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
cosmos

washer jets

Post by cosmos »

Toyota replacements a costly £20 for two. LED types retained by a nut underbneath pull off water pipe and have a look might need deep 10mm socket ??? Be interested to know if members use alternative types !!
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

Swap them with the ones from the yaris, give a better spray mist

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”