[Mk2] [Turbo] Good seats to replace stock with??

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bluesmoke

[Mk2] [Turbo] Good seats to replace stock with??

Post by bluesmoke »

What should I look at when I come to replace my seats for something nicer/newer towards the end of the year?

I hear MK3 seats are good? But what else is out there, i.e. aftermarket Recaros and the like? Wounldn't want to go nuts pricewise, but at the same time would be happy to pay for something decent.

What are other cars' seats like, i.e. perhaps Civic Type R seats are worth a look etc?
alanmr2turbo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Good seats to replace stock with??

Post by alanmr2turbo »

i'm looking to replace mine with EVO 8 seats in the new year :D
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

EVO 8 seats? How adjustable is the seating position on those, as they're not reclining are they?

Want something that looks like a proper race seat :)
Marf

Post by Marf »

Why not get your seats re-trimmed?

IMO I've never sat in a more comfortable seat than the MR2 seats, such good adjustment range too.
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

Marf wrote:Why not get your seats re-trimmed?

IMO I've never sat in a more comfortable seat than the MR2 seats, such good adjustment range too.

True, very true. Might be worth investigating. Those Evo seats do look fantastic, though. Hoping to do a 3000 mile Euro Road Trip next summer, so they have to be supportive but comfortable, regardless.

Are all MK2 seats the same shape?
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

i think so but the most comfortable mr2 seats have to be the half leathers. I've had all seats in my car from rev2, rev3 & full leather. The leathers were horrid, cold in the winter, hot in the summer and felt slippery.
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

alanmr2turbo wrote:i think so but the most comfortable mr2 seats have to be the half leathers. I've had all seats in my car from rev2, rev3 & full leather. The leathers were horrid, cold in the winter, hot in the summer and felt slippery.

Yeah, I have the half leathers now and they are good. Just think new seats might feel a bit less worn. Even with retrimming, they'd need to replace the foam inside to make them feel new again. Is that part of the process anyway, or would you need to request that extra?
Marf

Post by Marf »

Yes, foam replacement can be part of the retrimming process, you'd just need to enquire about it when getting quotes.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Look around for recaros? I've got a beautiful set of red suede recaros, so comfy and very sporty. Took ages but I live them.

Long journeys in recaros do cause the famed "recaro ar$e" though. I managed 250 miles in mine with no ar$e complaints that said.
bluesmoke

Post by bluesmoke »

MR2 specific Recaros? Do they sit higher than stock seats as I wouldn't want to lose the current position.
uglee

Post by uglee »

The Recaro Speeds were an optional extra on JDM Rev5's (possibly 4 too) Same as the Evo's (which generation I don't know)

They are by far and away the comfiest seats I've had in an MR2. No adjustment like bolster/lumbar but you don't need it. Just a recline and release seat back for getting behind them. They seem to sit at the same height as my old original MR2 seats.

Usually go for £350-450 depending on condition. It's money well spent IMO
Tomm

Post by Tomm »

I had a pair of Bride Brix's loved them so much but sold them last year and have regretted it ever since.

I have replaced them with some spare seats i had kicking about in the garage. They are not as nice as the brides were but they will do.

They are out of a old S2 RST. they are super comfortable, dont give you a dead ar$e 100x better than the ones which i did have in there.

I think i have a photo some where.

tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

I have bimarco bucket seats in mine 4kg each including there alloy mounting brackets i Will post a pic when I get chance :thumleft:
synXero

Post by synXero »

bluesmoke wrote:MR2 specific Recaros? Do they sit higher than stock seats as I wouldn't want to lose the current position.

Don't need MR2-specific ones really - if you get proper Recaro rails as well they're not going to sit much if at all higher than stock. Mine sit higher than stock but it's just because I'm using standard adapted rails.
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

You are better off getting jdm recaros like this evo recaro I had in before
which have a flat base unlike the recaros fitted in fords etc which raise the seating position higher.
I replaced my rev4 option recaros with these rev5 ones
tarmac terrorist

these are my bimarcos :thumleft:

djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Thise Bimarcos are the nutts man...no contest at all...and they don't look like wallpaper from the 80's :thumleft: 4 kg's each...4!!! both of those are lighter than my dog and he's the size of a chicken.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

my Noble m12 seats

Last edited by Dale_V on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tarmac terrorist

djpkins wrote:Thise Bimarcos are the nutts man...no contest at all...and they don't look like wallpaper from the 80's :thumleft: 4 kg's each...4!!! both of those are lighter than my dog and he's the size of a chicken.

thanks ive had them about 3 years now they are FIA approved till 2012 & strangly more confortable than me standard half leather seats that were in there:thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”