Sad/bad day at York Dragway

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Steve Horrocks

Sad/bad day at York Dragway

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Just been over to York Dragway today with Lee H, nice motorway run there this morning, no issues with the car (overheated a couple of times at Anglesey trackday, so new coolant, rad etc & now ST205 CC) got there, signed on etc & our group was going out pretty much straight away, so off we went. First time out in the mk1.5 in't strip so Ballard the launch up! Too many revs & non LSD means wheelspin city! Anyway, rest of run felt ok, but thought, fair enough, less revs to launch next time. Only there wasn't a next time.....

Guy who ran a couple of cars after us pulled a nice time of 10.1s or something, but after the finish, his car seemed to pitch sideways (poss blowout??) and flip, flash of fire started then went out. Recovery went out & ambulance called. Then air ambulance turns up & an hour and a half later they shoot off. Apparently, the guy managed to get out of the car, in front of the medics, but then collapsed & died. Don't know what happened, head injury or what?? But poor fella. Think his mrs (or at least female friend was there) as she was sobbing away. Sad times indeed.
Obviously, the days event was cancelled so we headed off home.

Then on the way home, about 5 miles from my junction, car overheats! So looks like I've now got to find tenissue with that now before JAE! Although my problem seems to pale into insignificance in comparison to te poor chap today.
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
JohnnyC

Re: Sad/bad day at York Dragway

Post by JohnnyC »

:cry:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

:( poor sod :cry:
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

very sad
gtschris.com

Post by gtschris.com »

Steve Horrocks wrote:Just been over to York Dragway today with Lee H, nice motorway run there this morning, no issues with the car (overheated a couple of times at Anglesey trackday, so new coolant, rad etc & now ST205 CC) got there, signed on etc & our group was going out pretty much straight away, so off we went. First time out in the mk1.5 in't strip so Ballard the launch up! Too many revs & non LSD means wheelspin city! Anyway, rest of run felt ok, but thought, fair enough, less revs to launch next time. Only there wasn't a next time.....

Guy who ran a couple of cars after us pulled a nice time of 10.1s or something, but after the finish, his car seemed to pitch sideways (poss blowout??) and flip, flash of fire started then went out. Recovery went out & ambulance called. Then air ambulance turns up & an hour and a half later they shoot off. Apparently, the guy managed to get out of the car, in front of the medics, but then collapsed & died. Don't know what happened, head injury or what?? But poor fella. Think his mrs (or at least female friend was there) as she was sobbing away. Sad times indeed.
Obviously, the days event was cancelled so we headed off home.

Then on the way home, about 5 miles from my junction, car overheats! So looks like I've now got to find tenissue with that now before JAE! Although my problem seems to pale into insignificance in comparison to te poor chap today.

Sad news :(

What car was they guy running? anyone we know?
www.gtschris.com
tel: 01670 737080
mob: 07786070103
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

I "think" someone said a Cortina, but there was a yank tank event thingy on again this weekend.

Edit: found a news story. Only 23! Poor lad

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9220815 ... e_meeting/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -fire.html
Pidge

Post by Pidge »

Poo, that's not nice! RIP
Navz

Post by Navz »

How horrible. Very sad indeed, R.I.P. :(
Yas

Post by Yas »

So sad RIP :(
Low Spec!
RIP TweenieRob
http://www.eshishaonline.com
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”