PS3 hard drive upgrade HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tarmac terrorist

PS3 hard drive upgrade HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by tarmac terrorist »

I have one of the original 40g PS3s i decided to upgrade to a 320g.
On doing this all i get is a message saying major error contact sony technical !!!
I have tried everything nothing works. i have tried it in my bros 60g & a guy at works 40g it works fine in both of them so the hard drive is fine.

Now the only difference we can see is:

1) My hardrive goes straight into the PS3 to connect (rather than pushing towards the back of the PS3 like the 60g & my friends 40g)

2) There original hardrives are hitachi & mine is a fujitsu.

My new hard drive is 320g (MDT) Magnetic Data Technologies
any help would be great as im ready to pull out what hair i have left ](*,) :pale:
H3RB

Re: PS3 hard drive upgrade HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by H3RB »

Try putting it in ps3 then starting the ps3 in service mode and formTting it from there. Search google on how to put it into the service mode as I can't remember the button sequence off the top of my head
tarmac terrorist

If that's where you have the ps3 on standby then press & hold front power button it beeps 3 times then goes back to stand by then you press & hold it again it then beeps once then 2 more beeps close together this then brings up the screen with 6 options, I've tried this & it's just after that I get the message about major error code :-k
wickermonkey

Post by wickermonkey »

If i can remember from when i did mine if your not sliding to the side when your putting it back in then your not connecting it at all to the sata connectors. did you make a backup of you old hdd?
wickermonkey

Post by wickermonkey »

wickermonkey wrote:If i can remember from when i did mine if your not sliding to the side when your putting it back in then your not connecting it at all to the sata connectors. did you make a backup of you old hdd?

sorry just read the post again rather than skiming it. I take it you have a slim and not an original, is there any code that come with the error and does it still work if you put the old hdd back in?
tarmac terrorist

wickermonkey wrote:
wickermonkey wrote:If i can remember from when i did mine if your not sliding to the side when your putting it back in then your not connecting it at all to the sata connectors. did you make a backup of you old hdd?

sorry just read the post again rather than skiming it. I take it you have a slim and not an original, is there any code that come with the error and does it still work if you put the old hdd back in?

mine is an original 40g non slim it came out straight after the 60g was stopped, my hard drive connections are inline with playstation written across rather than the 60g & later 40g as there connection is towards the rear of the console, the fault seems to be a compatibility issue as it works fine in both playstations that originally had hitachi hard drives
tarmac terrorist

yes my old hard drive is backed up :thumleft:
tarmac terrorist

wickermonkey wrote:

cant remember what the code was but it starts 800 i think ,yes as soon as i put the old hard drive back in it works fine :thumleft:
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

tarmac terrorist wrote:
wickermonkey wrote:

cant remember what the code was but it starts 800 i think ,yes as soon as i put the old hard drive back in it works fine :thumleft:

try formatting i a pc then try it back in the ps3 or format it another ps3 then try it in your ps3.
other then that try swapping it for another make. ive never had a problem with switching drives on a ps3, just plug it in turn it on and it prompts me to format :?
tarmac terrorist

Ive formatted on 2 different playstations fine but as soon as it goes in mine it comes uP with error , I agree with you every body I know whos done it has not had a problem , just put it in promted to format & that's it , having said that none had a fujitsu hard drive as standard neither did there's connect where mine does , I have found a company near me that reacon all ps3s are upgradable so I think if it comes to it I will give it to them & see if they can do it :evil:
tarmac terrorist

Ps I've tried requesting you as a friend on the ps3 herb about a year ago now lol :D
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

tarmac terrorist wrote:Ps I've tried requesting you as a friend on the ps3 herb about a year ago now lol :D

lol on which account? i have savagepoop that i dont use much now or
H3RBSKI_
tarmac terrorist

savagepoop mate, ps think ive sorted the harddrive just restoring hard drive at the moment :thumleft:

Return to “Games Consoles”