Coilovers

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

paulcas

Coilovers

Post by paulcas »

Hi,
I'm thinking of upgrading my suspension to adjustable coilovers. Can anyone recommend a good product please. I don't use the car for track days/racing and have a budget of around £600.

Regards
Paul
Ekona

Re: Coilovers

Post by Ekona »

Assuming you can get them for £600, then I'd got for either the Tein SuperStreets or the BC Racing ones. That said, I'd only go down this route if you've already fully braced the car (front FSB and TTET cross brace as a bare minimum) and put a set of thicker ARBS on there too, as they'll make more of a difference to the handling as well as being cheaper.

If you're not tracking the car then a set of adjustable dampers is overkill IMHO, although nice to do. You already have coilovers on the car from standard don't forget. :thumleft:
paulcas

Post by paulcas »

Ekona wrote:Assuming you can get them for £600, then I'd got for either the Tein SuperStreets or the BC Racing ones. That said, I'd only go down this route if you've already fully braced the car (front FSB and TTET cross brace as a bare minimum) and put a set of thicker ARBS on there too, as they'll make more of a difference to the handling as well as being cheaper.

Have you heard of MeisterR coilovers at all and are they just as good as the BC Racing ones?
My car is not fully braced front or rear. ie engine doesn't have one nor does the underneathe. Can I assume these are easy to fit by any novice and where would you recommend I buy these please? 8)
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

If you're after bracing go to MR2ROC and search for a chap called aaronjb, really good friend of mine who is splitting his incredibly well-sorted Roadster now. He's got the full set of Web 3.0 Racing bracing still up for grabs I think. Piece of cake to fit, all just bolt on.

I've heard of the MeisterR dampers but have no experience of them, think they're a bit more than the £600 budget too? Teins will be perfect for street damping and the BCR ones can be manufactured to suit and are very good, that's probably where I'd spend my money.
paulcas

Post by paulcas »

Ekona wrote:If you're after bracing go to MR2ROC and search for a chap called aaronjb, really good friend of mine who is splitting his incredibly well-sorted Roadster now. He's got the full set of Web 3.0 Racing bracing still up for grabs I think. Piece of cake to fit, all just bolt on.

I've heard of the MeisterR dampers but have no experience of them, think they're a bit more than the £600 budget too? Teins will be perfect for street damping and the BCR ones can be manufactured to suit and are very good, that's probably where I'd spend my money.

Ekona, many thanks for the advise. I can get the MeisterR's for £700. Have also pm'd aaronjb. What does the full set comprise of - front, rear, underneath? What sort of price do you think I'll be looking at?

Regards
Paul
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

There's loads of bits on the full bracing, IIRC its:
Front strut tower brace
Rear strut tower brace
Front lower member brace
Rear lower member brace
Centre brace

...which will make a huge difference to the chassis stiffness. I think he's got everything left but I'm sure he'll confirm once you've spoken to him. :)
paulcas

Post by paulcas »

thanks. just found the website that supply the product and yep loads of brace combinations available.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

MeisterR have a very good reputation on the skyline forums, so you'd have no problem with those.
They're designed by a guy in the UK with European roads in mind, you might find them a damn sight more compliant than Tein which personally shake my guts up as they are far too hard, I also find Tein way overdamped so the tyres skip on some of the crappy roads we have.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”