[Mk2] [Generic] Yeaha,found and fixed the poxey rattle on the front suspension

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Phill P

[Mk2] [Generic] Yeaha,found and fixed the poxey rattle on the front suspension

Post by Phill P »

As above,had the poxey rattle for over 2 years now,car sits on standard struts with -30 Apex springs. Always been the osf.

Its had new topmounts
New fibre washer under topmount
Droplinks
Lower balljoints
different steering rack
different steering column (did help steering though)

Anyway have done all that and have always had this anoying rattle over bumps,over 30 you can't here it but at all others times you can. Even tried padding the spring coils incase they were smaking each other.

Anyway the cure............Spring top plate,it wears the slot that engages on the damper rod and the spring must case it to move around. I have pics to show but photobucket won't play today for some reason but I will get them up. Car feels so much better now.

OSF was well worn and the nsf was ok but replaced them both,however nsf does make a noise over heavy bumps but I think the insert has gone so will replace with 2 new complete units when I have some cash (Just got rev3 rear lights and Greddy front splitter today,well happy.

Will post pics when I get it to work,hope this helps anyone with same rattle.

You can see from the pics how the central hole and slot has worn causing movment on the damper shaft

:thumleft:
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
raptor95GTS

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Yeaha,found and fixed the poxey rattle on the front suspension

Post by raptor95GTS »

yep I had exactly the same issue. Good job finding that :thumleft:
Phill P

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Yeaha,found and fixed the poxey rattle on the front suspension

Post by Phill P »

Can't believe how much nicer it is to drive,shall go for new struts when funds allow though.

Can now focus on polishing just fitted rev3 lights and greddy front spoiler to be fitted and painted along with Toms rep side skirts (think its Toms)

Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

How easy is it to replace these and the top mounts? Can it be done in an hour or so?
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

It took me 2.5 hours for both sides,have these off before when trying to find the clunk so it was an easy job and just took my time,also fitted poweflex suspension b spring top plates came from Tcb.
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

I'd plan an hour for each side if they haven't been off before.

Easy to do. Get some spring compresors.

Whilst they are off you could give them a lick of paint.
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Loosen th topmount nut before you start to take them off if you can,A windy gun does this very well as the top plate and damper shaft will try to spin when you loosen the top mount nut at the same time.

If you have shorter springs the you probably won't need a spring compressor,at least on the front anyway.

Big breaker bar is a must.

nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

What did you do with the brake hoses? Drain or cut the holder? Ta
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Took the clip out and bent it out of the way,then bent it back into place when done. Will break on the 3rd or 4th go
Graeme Shaw

Post by Graeme Shaw »

Sorry to reserect this thread

Phil

May be a silly question, but if I have aftermarket shocks and top mounts will I still have the plates at the top of my shocks?

Graeme
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

If your shocks are inserts into the standard toyota struts then you will still have the top plate,if however its coilovers then it will be all different

nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Is there meant to be a rubber piece between top mount and spring cup Im sure I've seen them mentioned but not often!
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Its a fibre washer mr t has then and very cheap
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

If anyone is changing their springs, as well as what's already been mentioned, I'd recommend changing the rubber that sits inside the spring cup as the end of the springs tend to cut into it.

nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Thanks ill order those bits from toyota.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

is there supposed to be one of the rubber rings on the rear as well?
cant see one in the epc
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Quigonjay wrote:is there supposed to be one of the rubber rings on the rear as well?

No. :)
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Lol just phoned Toyota to order these bits those nylon things are like 4 quid each but no matter lol.

The worrying thing was that the guy said: 'and these are for Nick07 right' (except of course he used my full name that I've ordered bits before not my forum name).

It does worry me that Toyota parts department know my name by voice alone lol. To begin with they wouldn't order unless i came in with cash up front now i reckon they'd give me a credit and overdraft limit lol.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

yeah I used to have to pay up front (and I was ordering over the phone) but whether they now recognise my voice or more likely the car being ordered for I can just pay on the day :)
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Yep i didn't even give my vin i just used the part codes in this thread so he asked when i wanted them for and then proceeded to tell me they were going on the account in my fu name lol...

Return to “Mechanical”