N/A verus Tubby video?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

skytek

N/A verus Tubby video?

Post by skytek »

Hi gents and ladies,

While I love my N/A more than cottage cheese and peanut butter on crackerbread, I cannot help but dream of a better life, a life of low fuel economy, high maintenance costs and through the roof insurance, all part of owning an mr2 turbo.

However, with all the videos of n/a's and turbos I've seen on this site and other sites, I've never seen a direct comparison video of the two together. I'd love to see with my own eyes just how must quicker a tubby really is.

So, does anyone have a clip of a n/a vs turbo race?

That would be excellent to see!!
Goto10

Re: N/A verus Tubby video?

Post by Goto10 »

skytek wrote:Hi gents and ladies,

While I love my N/A more than cottage cheese and peanut butter on crackerbread, I cannot help but dream of a better life, a life of low fuel economy, high maintenance costs and through the roof insurance, all part of owning an mr2 turbo.

However, with all the videos of n/a's and turbos I've seen on this site and other sites, I've never seen a direct comparison vodeo of the two together. I'd love to see with my own eyes just how must quicker a tubby really is.

So, does anyone have a clip of a n/a vs turbo race?

That would be excellent to see!!

Not seen one, easy enough to make one in an MR2 club though, surely? :)
Hardest bit will be getting 2 standard cars, nearly all tubbys have a few extra pounds of boost under the bonnet as it's such a cheap/worthwhile upgrade..!
(Rev for Rev, e.g. rev3 NA vs rev3 tubby for a direct comparison)
skytek

video

Post by skytek »

Yea, but even comparing a slightly upgraded tubby would be a good insight into what I could be driving if I were to change my na for a tubby. There must be a video on the net somewhere, surely?

:-k
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

Best I can find is standard Rev2 tubby vs standard Rev3 tubby, not much use to you I'm afraid!

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/video/mr2/rev2_v_rev3.avi
Last edited by Goto10 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

I wanna see FE engine n/a against GE engine n/a :P

As for tubby vs n/a i think tubby would win tbh 8)
ImageImage
craig

Post by craig »

I raced Dale at Santa Pod. I had time to read a book on the finish line. WASTED! :lol: :lol:
senie

Post by senie »

that could just be down to Dale's femele-esque driving! :mrgreen:
BLOODUK

Post by BLOODUK »

RedMR² wrote:I raced Dale at Santa Pod. I had time to read a book on the finish line. WASTED! :lol: :lol:

aww pool dale :(
Aidy

Post by Aidy »

Standard for standard you'd probably be quite disappointed. Of course in a straight line the turbo pulls better over a short distance, but if you're talking quarter miles then the turbo will not be gaining much lead at all by the end. Turbos are better for their mid-range grunt really but they run out of puff, it is a totally different power delivery from an NA. The other major advantage to the turbo is that you can tune it for more power, but you'll only really get an extra 20 BHP out of an NA.

In terms of handling they are pretty much the same. On a timed track with same pro driver on same day a turbo was a second quicker than my old NA. On the Don Palmer day we did Don actually took the turbo drivers out in my NA to show them how a car *should* handle :D

The turbo will give you more giggles in a straight line and has potential for tuning. If you reckon that's worth the extra running costs then go for it. If you go along to some meets someone will no doubt take you out in their turbo to see what it's like.
Pete J

Post by Pete J »

Brings back fond memories Aidy.

Cue the argument :eye:
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

Aidy wrote: <snip>

lol, I was just drafting up another "One for Aidy" Email after reading this too ;)
As for tubby vs n/a i think tubby would win tbh
JohnA

Post by JohnA »

Goto10 wrote:Best I can find is standard Rev2 tubby vs standard Rev3 tubby, not much use to you I'm afraid!

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/video/mr2/rev2_v_rev3.avi

Ther's actually a NA in the race too, it's just so far behind it's not in the picture :D
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

bah i posted a link to a vid on gtschris's site. looks like he has removed it.

email him for a copy.

lee
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

To be honest on a lot of roads the N/A will easily go as fast as it's vaguely sensible to go (bearing in mind on any twisty road the view ahead is the limiting factor).

However the BIG difference is that in a decently set-up turbo you can overtake multiple cars with relative ease. This can make all the difference sometimes - there are certainly occasions when I would have been crawling along great driving roads for ages if not for the overtaking power (I've managed 6 at once a few times :oops:) .

Best bet is to get a kindly turbo owner to take you for a spin/let you have a go.
craig

Post by craig »

Yeah, that's what I like. The power is there when ya need it :twisted:
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

RedMR² wrote:Yeah, that's what I like. The power is there when ya need it :twisted:

Got any video's of an mr2 turbo vs a police car by any chance?? :P
ImageImage
craig

Post by craig »

Goldy wrote:
RedMR² wrote:Yeah, that's what I like. The power is there when ya need it :twisted:

Got any video's of an mr2 turbo vs a police car by any chance?? :P

:-$ :shock:

Yeah, thats real funny :roll: [-(
skytek

tubby

Post by skytek »

Thanks Aidy for the detailed description :D and everyone else too. I have been thinking of the tubby as being soooo much faster than my na and lately the na has kind of dissappointed me as I've quickly outgrown it's power. I suppose it would still be exciting if I hadn't come from a sportsbike background. The na with the mongoose and decat should be sitting somewhere around 160bhp right?, but it just doesn't feel that quick. I'm starting to think I will need upwards of 280bhp to really feel satisfied with accelleration power and that would need quite a bit of tweaking on a tubby, well more than an exhaust and induction kit anyway.

Still, the mr2 is the only car for me and I will remain in awe of it's gorgeous lines and extreme 'lowness', not to mention the rwd fun to be had!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: tubby

Post by Lauren »

skytek wrote:Thanks Aidy for the detailed description :D and everyone else too. I have been thinking of the tubby as being soooo much faster than my na and lately the na has kind of dissappointed me as I've quickly outgrown it's power. I suppose it would still be exciting if I hadn't come from a sportsbike background. The na with the mongoose and decat should be sitting somewhere around 160bhp right?, but it just doesn't feel that quick. I'm starting to think I will need upwards of 280bhp to really feel satisfied with accelleration power and that would need quite a bit of tweaking on a tubby, well more than an exhaust and induction kit anyway.

Still, the mr2 is the only car for me and I will remain in awe of it's gorgeous lines and extreme 'lowness', not to mention the rwd fun to be had!

No matter how much power you have, you always get used to it, so effectively you end up chasing your tail. You will never be satisfied.

An NA will always have a better handling balance due to the power delivery and responsiveness that cannot be replicated in a turbo. In a straightline a turbo will obviously be quicker, but i'll bet if you put both on a track like say anglesey there'd be hardly anything in it. In the wet that difference would be reduced further. Power is nothing if you can't get it down on the road.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Goto10

Re: tubby

Post by Goto10 »

skytek wrote:Thanks Aidy for the detailed description :D and everyone else too. I have been thinking of the tubby as being soooo much faster than my na and lately the na has kind of dissappointed me as I've quickly outgrown it's power. I suppose it would still be exciting if I hadn't come from a sportsbike background. The na with the mongoose and decat should be sitting somewhere around 160bhp right?, but it just doesn't feel that quick. I'm starting to think I will need upwards of 280bhp to really feel satisfied with accelleration power and that would need quite a bit of tweaking on a tubby, well more than an exhaust and induction kit anyway.

I have been thinking of the tubby as being soooo much faster than my na

You are thinking correctly, for general road driving the turbo blows the NA out of the water in performance and grin factor - the key here is torque, the turbo has buckets of it - from what you've said a turbo is right up your street, go for a Rev3 version as these can be taken to a higher power level for minimum effort, trust me, you'll love it.
Granted, on a track there is very little between them - but you have to remember on a track the main goal is to *retain* speed rather than acquire it, this is done via handling rather than acceleration - the handling of the tubby & NA are near enough identical.
If you test drive one, make sure it's from an enthusiast who maintains it and runs it on decent fuel, not some back street car dealer running it on supermarket low octane fuel (with the ECU in limp mode) or your experience will be blighted somewhat!

I'm starting to think I will need upwards of 280bhp to really feel satisfied with accelleration power and that would need quite a bit of tweaking on a tubby

Not so, £100 worth of mods will reach 280bhp easily in a rev3, remember they are ~245bhp out of the box with bags of torque to boot, a simple ball&spring valve and a Fuel Cut Defender will get the gains you want. (Be warned, it's a slippery slope, as Lauren says you'll always want more, when I first got my tubby I said "It's plenty powerful enough, I doubt I'll modify it", then I bought the spring valve...then the FCD...and it snowballed from there, including busting the engine :eye: )

Horsepower sells cars...torque wins races...(on the drag strip)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”