[Mk2] [Turbo] replacing my ct26 with a ct20b

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gumbo_gts

[Mk2] [Turbo] replacing my ct26 with a ct20b

Post by gumbo_gts »

just wondering what gaskets i would need as im swapping turbos soon ,,

are these the right ones i need

Exhaust manifold gasket - 17173-88382 (Rev1)
Water by pass gasket -16347-88380 (Rev1)
Gasket turbine outlet elbow - 17279-88480 (Rev3+)
GASKET, TURBO OIL INLET (Oil Pipe to Turbo) - 15471-88380 (Rev1)

GASKET, JOINT (Union bolt to block) – 15526-88381 (Rev 1)
Exhaust manifold to turbo gasket - 17278-88480 (Rev 3+)
djpkins

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] replacing my ct26 with a ct20b

Post by djpkins »

I recently did this matey, got a rev3 downpipe aswell...and re-used all the old gaskets...used high temp silicone for the coolant feed.
The only pair that leaked were the banjo bolt gaskets as they were incorrect and old...replaced with new and no probs at all...save yourself quite a bit if you don't have to buy that lot.
gumbo_gts

Post by gumbo_gts »

cool cheers recently replaced those on the banjo so save a few bob now cheers mate
gumbo_gts

Post by gumbo_gts »

just a cheecky is there a step by step guide to remove the the ct26 and replace with ct20b
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

This is how i did it:

-remove heat shield. Remove intercooler pipes if necessary
-remove intake elbow
-unplug oxygen sensor
-unbolt downpipe from flexi pipe as well as any downpipe or turbo supporting brackets
-from underneath the car get a long socket on the nuts that hold the turbo oil return pipe to the turbo. use plenty of wd40 on the studs.
-undo the lower 2 of the 4 bolts that hold the turbo to the exhaust manifold. will require a series of extensions and a lot of wiggling to get the socket over the bolt properly.
-from above undo the other 2 turbo to manifold bolts with a ratchet or normal spanner
-the turbo should now be completely free apart from a few hoses. All weight is being supported by oil return pipe. it can handle this but try not to let the turbo hang on it for prolonged periods
-undo water feed pipes (or i think you can leave them attached and remove the rubber hoses at the other ends of the pipes)
-remove rubber hose from TVSV pipe to actuator
-lift turbo up off oil return pipe and try and wiggle turbo and downpipe up and over the engine.
-change over downpipe, refit gaskets etc and fit in reverse. make sure you position the oil return studs into the oil return pipe first as you lower the turbo down.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

I took the downpipe off first to create more room...but yeah...not hard but a process that needs to be done methodically.
The only ball ache I gave myself doing this the first time was...I let the oil feed/return pipe get bent out of shape when I was lifting the turbo out (it's quite soft) which gave me a headache when it came to re-attach as it's very fiddly...even more so when you have big hands...so I opted to remove the oil feed/return pipe still attched to the turbo but disconnected at the sump/block...doesn't matter which way, but be gentle with it...they have been known to crack when pulled about.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

I thought their was also an issue with the heat shield from ct26 not fitting a ct20 but mine fits fine with all 3 holes lined up.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

djpkins wrote:I thought their was also an issue with the heat shield from ct26 not fitting a ct20 but mine fits fine with all 3 holes lined up.

correct. only the top 2 bolt holes lined up for mine. without the bottom one the heat shield rattles like mad, so i just lifted the heat shield up and put the bolt in the bottom hole so that the heat shield sits on it under compression. that stopped it rattling. or you can just drill a new hole whilst the turbo is out the car. much easier than trying to work out where the new hole should be in situe.
gumbo_gts

Post by gumbo_gts »

Cheers guys big help ,, that oil return pipe is a pain in the ar$e I replaced mine a few months back and cracked it trying to fit it off to Toyota again lol
cheers tho big help
gumbo_gts

Post by gumbo_gts »

oh do i have to take of the oil filter and cooler to get to the down pipe bolts...
gumbo_gts

Post by gumbo_gts »

does the oil feed pipe need bending at all or does it fit alright ,, just there pretty weak have snapped one before :cry:
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

should fit straight in - no bending required....
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

don't bend it...or it'll be mend it...or spend it...again..lol..goddam jizz pipe on mine is still leaking a wee bit, so I must've cracked/split it very slightly when changing the blower...I shant bother with another and will get a braided hose and applicable fittings.
gumbo_gts

Post by gumbo_gts »

wicked cheers guys :thumleft:
gumbo_gts

Post by gumbo_gts »

turbo arrived my mistake its a ct20 lol

wots the top two studs for ,, i can see where the oil feed pipes go but the ones above it what are those for

wots the difference between a ct20 and ct20b ,,,,, plus is a ct20 a straight swap froma ct26 :oops:
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

water pipe...
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

This a refurbed Mr2 ct20b (just says Toyota on the housing), or have you gone and bought a ct20 diesel turbo (useless)?
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

jimGTS wrote:This a refurbed Mr2 ct20b (just says Toyota on the housing), or have you gone and bought a ct20 diesel turbo (useless)?

The picture he posted is just a googled image.

He has a genuine CT20b from my rev3 turbo that i sold him
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

fair do's :thumleft:
gumbo_gts

Post by gumbo_gts »

right started to fit the turbo today at 9 and still going at it now ](*,)

followed the steps above ,,and after a call to luke and a mate ...
but cant get the 4 bolts of at all used wd40 ,, heat they wont budge so went to remove the manifold thinking well get it all off least i can take it too a garage to get them off ,,, but the bottom bolts are different size some 17 and some 14 nope the 2 bolts on the bottom close togehter again is baked on ,,tried wd40 ,,, long sockets etc ,, tried those irwin hings to cut into the bolt but nope the little sod wont move ,, had a guts full of it ,, any got any ideas or tips to help ,, before i take the hammer to her :cry:

or any one willing to pop over and gimme a hand , asking alot but will sort u out beer lol
Last edited by gumbo_gts on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Modifications”