[Mk2] [Turbo] piece of poo?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

vmaxnick

[Mk2] [Turbo] piece of poo?

Post by vmaxnick »

is this the piece of poo the price would suggest?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/91-98-MR2-CELICA- ... 2c53d75b2d

My cone air filter has just cracked up at the rubber joint so I need to replace just the filter not the whole induction kit. Wondered if anyone has tried this item?
craig

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] piece of poo?

Post by craig »

vmaxnick wrote:is this the piece of poo the price would suggest?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/91-98-MR2-CELICA- ... 2c53d75b2d

My cone air filter has just cracked up at the rubber joint so I need to replace just the filter not the whole induction kit. Wondered if anyone has tried this item?

I personally wouldn't fit a 15 quid air filter off ebay to my car. That thing would probably suck bricks into the engine :lol:
vmaxnick

Post by vmaxnick »

Hmm, thats sort of where my thoughts are! tubbys do suck harder than a 16 year old crack whore! I can imagine that thing being quickly swallowed whole!
craig

Post by craig »

vmaxnick wrote:Hmm, thats sort of where my thoughts are! tubbys do suck harder than a 16 year old crack whore! I can imagine that thing being quickly swallowed whole!

Best to go with tried and tested branded ones. The Apexi is the one to go for in my opinion. However, I've just got rid of mine inf avour of the stock air box with K&N panel. Lot quieter.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

If it's any use the part numbers for Apexi filter elements only are 500-A022 for the smaller filter (AFM cars) and 500-A021 for the larger one (MAP based).
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

prices for the Apexi filters are silly prices :shock: The kit I got from a start up in Hong Kong supplied a convertor allowing for a std 75mm element to be clamped on, of course you could just fit an alloy pipe to the rev3+
kennym

ba humbug

Post by kennym »

i respect previous oppinions,..... but heres mine

in some things it best t go with a brand but some times agesive mnarketing tells you you need things that you just dont,......

frankly i think air filters are not as high tech as we would be lead to belive ......... HKS dont use magic green foam for instance

if a filter lets in something a few microns bigger than it should remember wee'r talking dust hear..... most enthusiasts change ther oil regually enough to negate this dust any way,

lets not forget the classic rally & race cars that still run on open bell mouths

for me .... air filter ........ you should have one but it aint rocket sciance

just my oppinion ............ sits back & waits for the barage
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

air filters have 2 purposes:

1) stop dirt getting into your engine
2) make noise

<£15 do #1 only
>£15 do #'s 1 and 2.

anyone who tells you otherwise has never done their research or is easily fooled by marketing and advertising.

And for what its worth foam filters are the worst kind but the difference is about 50% of almost negligible
vmaxnick

Post by vmaxnick »

dantheman wrote:air filters have 2 purposes:

2) make noise

<£15 do #1 only
>£15 do #'s 1 and 2.

anyone who tells you otherwise has never done their research or is easily fooled by marketing and advertising.

And for what its worth foam filters are the worst kind but the difference is about 50% of almost negligible

I don't really want another foam cone the surface area is greatly reduced when the engine is sucking hard. I have a NA air filter box, I might see if I can modify that then use it with a K&N standard filter element and get rid of the whole cone thing.

Opinions? :-k
vmaxnick

Post by vmaxnick »

toxo wrote:If it's any use the part numbers for Apexi filter elements only are 500-A022 for the smaller filter (AFM cars) and 500-A021 for the larger one (MAP based).

At 75mm inlet I take it mine would be the larger one?
kennym

Post by kennym »

dantheman wrote:air filters have 2 purposes:

2) make noise

<£15 do #1 only
>£15 do #'s 1 and 2.

so you did your home work & found out that £15 was the magic cut off point where a filter will or wont work,..... I'd like to see your provernance

this home work also tould you foam was worst ..... err not quite right foam flows slightly less than paper but will do it for considerably longer proven in a study of pipercross V K&N

i'VE SEEN YOUR POSTS YOU DONT NORMALLY SEAM THE TYPE TO SAY THIS IS HOW IT IS ANYONE THINKING DIFFERANT IS STUPID

you have to be cocck sure to make such a statment,...... its arogant & dissrespectfull .... especially when your wrong.........

dan just a bit of fun dont take offence
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

vmaxnick wrote:
toxo wrote:If it's any use the part numbers for Apexi filter elements only are 500-A022 for the smaller filter (AFM cars) and 500-A021 for the larger one (MAP based).

At 75mm inlet I take it mine would be the larger one?

75's the smaller, 83 (I think) is the larger.

As has been said, I'm not sure there's any great advantage to having a branded air filter - there is some ancient magazine article that keeps getting republished on the internet that 'proves' the apexi filter is the best but it's so old and based on Skyline filters that it's almost totally irrelevant.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

fair play kenny, reading that back the tone of it doesnt convey well. i will expand further.

there are two real brackets of air filter out there, you have the nameless faceless basic filter, eg the ebay one listed above or a halfords filter. these tend to retail below or around £15. Above this, from £20 upwards to £80 you have the K&Ns, HKS's, ARCs of this world. What makes their filters worth more than the cheapo ones? The answer from a purely dirt ingress prevention point of view is virtually nothing. There are 3 or 4 different types of filter out there, paper, mesh, foam, oiled (or something like that) and the difference between all of them is something like 5%, with paper or oiled mesh being the best and foam the worst. i consider anything less than 10% to be negligible so really what kind of air filter you choose or the brand is largely irrelevant from just the dirt prevention stand point.

The reason the brand names cost more is threefold. one you are paying for the name. two to try and justify the brand image these companies put in a lot of development into how they can improve the sound the air filter produces. having run a halfords filter and a pipercross filter on an ARC airbox i can notice the difference in sound, but its very minor indeed. thirdly the more expensive ones tend to be washable/reusable but you have to buy a filter cleaning kit, so its not really cheaper than running disposable ones in the long run.

Bottom line, an air filter is an air filter regardless of who makes it or how much you pay for it. Your decision only affects how often you have to maintain your filter or what sticker you can put in your window.
vmaxnick

Post by vmaxnick »

I agree that price doesn't mean quality but I had an unbranded filter in my off roader once and when the turbo was on full chat in a lane, it sucked the filter inside out.
Did no real harm, but left us head scratching for a bit.
I think I will have a play around with the filter box off my NA Mr2 see if I can make that breathe well enough
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

I have a "nomark" filter on my rev 2 tubby, came with the car attached to a HKS flange...it's a propper cheap job, after 2 years it's still in 1 piece and stopping bits of Essex from being eaten by my car.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

ah, the old filter argument....as old as the hills

K+N
http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/in ... 0Board.htm

More
http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/in ... 0tests.htm

http://autospeed.com/A_111486/cms/article.html

http://planetsoarer.com/dynoday/dyno2.html

TBH most aftermarket filters are so bad you might as well use an old towel to filter the air, harsh but true...

If you dont want to believe any of the above heres the results you might be used to as posted by Revs magazine....no idea why their results would be totally different from everyone elses
http://www.tomstickland.co.uk/astra/ast ... tm#afilter
kennym

quality

Post by kennym »

dantheman wrote:fair play kenny, reading that back the tone of it doesnt convey well. i will expand further.

there are two real brackets of air filter out there, you have the nameless faceless basic filter, eg the ebay one listed above or a halfords filter. these tend to retail below or around £15. Above this, from £20 upwards to £80 you have the K&Ns, HKS's, ARCs of this world. What makes their filters worth more than the cheapo ones? The answer from a purely dirt ingress prevention point of view is virtually nothing. There are 3 or 4 different types of filter out there, paper, mesh, foam, oiled (or something like that) and the difference between all of them is something like 5%, with paper or oiled mesh being the best and foam the worst. i consider anything less than 10% to be negligible so really what kind of air filter you choose or the brand is largely irrelevant from just the dirt prevention stand point.

The reason the brand names cost more is threefold. one you are paying for the name. two to try and justify the brand image these companies put in a lot of development into how they can improve the sound the air filter produces. having run a halfords filter and a pipercross filter on an ARC airbox i can notice the difference in sound, but its very minor indeed. thirdly the more expensive ones tend to be washable/reusable but you have to buy a filter cleaning kit, so its not really cheaper than running disposable ones in the long run.

Bottom line, an air filter is an air filter regardless of who makes it or how much you pay for it. Your decision only affects how often you have to maintain your filter or what sticker you can put in your window.

Brilliant!,.... this man comes in for a bit of flack from me what does he do ? spit out his dummy and become all agresive?

NO he comes back with a polite factual retort

Well done that man it shows a bit of class!
vmaxnick

Post by vmaxnick »

T.F.S. wrote:ah, the old filter argument....as old as the hills

K+N
http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/in ... 0Board.htm

More
http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/in ... 0tests.htm

http://autospeed.com/A_111486/cms/article.html

http://planetsoarer.com/dynoday/dyno2.html

TBH most aftermarket filters are so bad you might as well use an old towel to filter the air, harsh but true...

If you dont want to believe any of the above heres the results you might be used to as posted by Revs magazine....no idea why their results would be totally different from everyone elses
http://www.tomstickland.co.uk/astra/ast ... tm#afilter

Well that confirms my own feelings!
I have bought a cheapy for now just to keep the car mobile but I am going to go the route of flowing a NA airbox (Because I have a NA box, I don't have a tubby box to play with)
vmaxnick

Post by vmaxnick »

Done it! I chose a vauxhall frontera 2.3 TD air box because I had it lying around and the size of the intake hole matched the square hole of my intake valve perfectly. As it happens, the four holes in the plastic box also lined up spot on. Had to use a little hot air gun persuasion on the top of the box just to allow enough clearence for my valve and a little re-shaping of the base to alow for my inner wing. I then cut the front intake away a bit to allow it to flow a little better. Brackets are provided by one of the brackets I was using to support the pancake filter just bolted into the plastic and a long 8mm bolt through two of the Frontera mounting rubbers to support the underside.
It's running an old paper filter for now but will be changed for a Mahle filter element on monday. Took about two hours total.
I've just been for a quick run and all seems well. The engine ticks over a lot slower and it's so quiet! Not everyones cup of tea I know but I am using the car for touring so the induction racket was a bit of a bore!

Return to “Modifications”