few questions

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

afennell
IMOC Organiser

few questions

Post by afennell »

Hi looking at buying a face lift mk3 for the wife, can’t seem to find many with air con at the mo, shopping around there does not seem to be many about. Most seem to be on ebay.
Can i confirm only the face lift post 2003 had 6 speed boxes, and are there any other ways to check it’s a face lift one?
I want to stay clear of any chances of pre cat, piston problems.
How much can you get hard tops for, and how water tight are the soft tops?
What kind of mpg can you expect from normal commute driving?

:thumleft:
JohnnyC

Re: few questions

Post by JohnnyC »

They had aircon as standard IIRC.

Yes, the facelift manuals were 6 speed boxes. Facelift versions also had front foglights and different rear light clusters.
frogger

Post by frogger »

Air con was an option in the UK, not standard.
It is however standard on all Jap Imports.

Most reliable way is increasingly looking like checking the engine number. http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33717
After all, a pre-2003 may have a later model engine swapped in - all good.

A 'good' price for a hardtop is, in my opinion in the ballpark of £500~600 if it has a fitting kit and is in good condition. Many have been known to pay more, but may good ones go for this price range too.
If the condition isn't as good or it hasn't got a fitting kit, reduce price accordingly (knock a couple of hundred off for no fitting kit).
And don't buy one with a smashed rear window - a replacement window costs twice as much as a 2nd hand hardtop.

Soft tops are very watertight, my one is in terrible condition through misuse in it's previous life, and its still watertight.

mpg varies from 15 to 45 depending on whose driving and where :lol:
Realistically, on a commute, expect 30 something maybe.
Never bother to track it too carefully.
rbuckingham

Post by rbuckingham »

i get normal including a few spirited drives and average about 35 MPG however on very long runs and being very good ie holding dead 70 all the way i have had a 53 MPG figure but it was a very long drive north scotland lol.

facelift have a two bulbs for the front head light as well as they are a chrome. front fogs different look bumper (more smiley), different inserts in the rear bumper, rear lights have round clear parts, seats have holes in, 6 speed box, 16" rear wheels, also the covers around the heater system the rings are a chome idea if i can remember right.

also as frogger said you might find a preface with a postface engine. also another idea is you could get a preface with a dead enigne for about £1k and get a new engine as that way you know how good the engine would be. Also rogue i think will put a 2zz including the engine in the car for £3.5k so you could have a 2zz powered preface for £4.5k.

with anycase on which version you get it all comes down to budget and taste as stated above you can make a very good preface for postface prices or just buy a postface but looks are different.
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

thank you for the advise, very helpful :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”