Leather seats fading

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Johnr32

Leather seats fading

Post by Johnr32 »

I have the half seude/leather seats on my 2 but the bolster has started to fade a bit. Does anyone know how to fix it up? or anyone who can restore leather seats in the Kent/London area?
jasongtr

Re: Leather seats fading

Post by jasongtr »

i used this stuff - pretty good considering the price
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

jasongtr wrote:i used this stuff - pretty good considering the price

what stuff? lol :mrgreen:
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

jasongtr wrote:http://furnitureclinic.co.uk/Leather_Re ... g_Balm.php

forgot the link....hahaha

Looks reasonably priced, Im assuming its the black one that I need, not the dark grey? What is the colour match like, is it very good?

Do you have any before and after pictures?
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

no all ive used it for is touching up some leather seats before they sold, the user flamencoguitarist on here has borrowed it to do both his seats so he is the best person to ask
Amebb

Post by Amebb »

i used kiwi shoe polish on my seats.... this is the liquid stuff not the dark block in a can.

Sounds silly, but it gets into the small 'veins' in the leather and darkens it nicely. Then you just buff it all up followed by some polish.

It does work and the polish wont come of on your clothes, unless you havnt buffed it up correctly.

Try it.....
'Honest, seriously, this wont hurt a bit ..... there you go........ 5h1t!!! he's dead!!........ Well, you should'nt have touched my Mr2 !!'
g.lewarne

Post by g.lewarne »

Amebb wrote:i used kiwi shoe polish on my seats.... this is the liquid stuff not the dark block in a can.

Sounds silly, but it gets into the small 'veins' in the leather and darkens it nicely. Then you just buff it all up followed by some polish.

It does work and the polish wont come of on your clothes, unless you havnt buffed it up correctly.

Try it.....

+1 but i used the normal hard stuff in a tin.

used it on my door cards, steering wheel and a little bit of faded black plastic trim! just make sure you buff it vigorously and it wont come off :thumleft:

also works well on external rubber bits like the window rubbers and stuff
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
Joey

Post by Joey »

I've used the Scuffmaster and conditioner from this crowd:

http://www.liquidleather.com/car-shop.html

I highly recommend it, brought by seats up a treat.
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

Have just ordered this: http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Easy_L ... on_Kit.php

Will update on how well it works once the item has been recieved.
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

g.lewarne wrote:
Amebb wrote:i used kiwi shoe polish on my seats.... this is the liquid stuff not the dark block in a can.

Try it.....

+1 but i used the normal hard stuff in a tin.

used it on my door cards, steering wheel and a little bit of faded black plastic trim! just make sure you buff it vigorously and it wont come off :thumleft:

also works well on external rubber bits like the window rubbers and stuff

Exactly.
Mix the tin stuff with a dab of water in the lid until it's more paste like then apply and buff off after a few mins.
If it's good enough to 'bull' up my old police boots it's good enough for leather seat.

In between polishing I use those leather cream wipes you get in a pack for £1 from Wilko's and other places.
They clean the leather and give it a little nourishment. Regular cleaning/wiping is the key.
:thumleft:
10thanni

Post by 10thanni »

Just seen this...yea, I used some that Jason lent me (thanks J). Good stuff, works well but it does wear off after a couple of months so just repeat again! I followed up by using autoglym leather cleaner and balm. It's a good product so long as you keep doing it regularly. The same with everything I suppose failing getting a re trim!

Good luck!
archangel

Post by archangel »

Also have the same problem. Going to give some black Woly shoe cream a go. The dark brown stuff did wonders for my shoes :D

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”