Kumho KU31 Ecstas discontinued?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

uglee

Kumho KU31 Ecstas discontinued?

Post by uglee »

Just been phoning around and the tyre fitters around me say they can only get KU39's now and they have for some reason discontinued them.

I'm quite happy with the KU31 and know there is a few owners on here that rate them very well for the price.

The KU39s have a lower wear rating so 'should' in theory be grippier in the dry but they are of assymetric design and the few tests done for the KU39's have been mixed. Also due to been so new reviews are thin on the ground and I suspect from dubious sources.

So I think I may buy 4 new KU31s online to keep me going as fronts are like new compared to the demolished rears ](*,)
bolton

Re: Kumho KU31 Ecstas discontinued?

Post by bolton »

Oh what! I really like the ku31! I have them on my 2ltr nova! Lol! Are the ku39's similar price?
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

I have these all round on my Corolla T sport, they are especially ungrippy in the damp!
uglee

Post by uglee »

bolton wrote:Oh what! I really like the ku31! I have them on my 2ltr nova! Lol! Are the ku39's similar price?

Yeah they are very similar priced. Just unsure about their performance compared to what i have.

I might take a chance on them and see how I go. Just a shame that they no longer match what I have on the fronts.
mark239

Post by mark239 »

Hankook Ventus RS2.
lewmr2

Post by lewmr2 »

mark239 wrote:Hankook Ventus RS2.

Have also been discontinued- with no replacement in this country and also about twice the price as the ecsta's

OP: i was told the ku31 had been discontinued but alot of suppliers still have stock.

nickg07 wrote:I have these all round on my Corolla T sport, they are especially ungrippy in the damp!

I found them very good in the damp on the teg. Dry grip wasnt spectacular but a very good all rounder with a not too floppy sidewall
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

also going to have this problem soon
225/45/16 not available but camskil have 225/50/16 which i think i will get instead
DirkMR2

Post by DirkMR2 »

Potenza RE050
Toyo Proxis T-1R

All valid examples of good allround summer-tires.
uglee

Post by uglee »

Unfortunately there is a substantial price difference. I purchased 2 KU39's for £260 in the sizes I needed.

Toyo T1R=£350
Potenza's=£420

For anyone interested, this is the difference in tread between KU39's and my front KU31's. Generally a much less aggressive tread but not a bad looking tyre. The Ecsta emblem is now embossed inside the rain groove so no longer dissappears after 1K miles.

Shall report back once they are fitted and scrubbed in as to how they compare with the KU31's
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

I have ku31's on the rear of mine and find them excellent. Be a shame if I can't get them again come replacement time :(

I've also tried ku19's which are pretty good, and also hankook v12 ventus evo's which were excellent - albeit a little pricey
uglee

Post by uglee »

Well I've taken a chance with them, see how they go. They are on the alloy, but will be about 4 weeks from now until I can report on how they are compared directly to the K31's :thumleft:
toddjnr

Post by toddjnr »

I can still find out for you if they are stopping making the ku31 as the company i work for are an agent for kumho,just spotted your thread otherwise i would of found out sooner. :oops:
toddjnr

Post by toddjnr »

they have stopped making them :evil: :evil:
uglee

Post by uglee »

I'm hoping that Kumho only discontinued them because the KU39's are a better tyre.

Would be a shame to spoil the reputation they were starting to build.
toddjnr

Post by toddjnr »

i have been in the tyre industry for 6years now and unfortunately it happens a lot.companies produce a certain style of tyre that performs great then for some reason they stop making it and then bring out a new tread pattern???it happend with the goodyear eagle f1 aswell. :cry:
most of the tyres we sell are kumho's and ive yet to hear any bad reports. :thumleft:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Bridgestone S02's <- the best tyre I've ever had. Even in stock 15's they had rigid sideways and the grip was spleen shattering and now you can only get them in certain Porsche sizes :cry: . I guess the Yokohama Advan A08 is the next best road tyre matching the S02's but kerching!
uglee

Post by uglee »

Forgot to update this.

The KU39's have so far done approx 1000mile. Gave them absolute death on a Pistonheads run a while back and clung on fantastically. Wet weather wise it feels fairly composed (or as composed as a Mk2 with silly wide tyres will ever be in the wet)

No sidewall flex as far as I can tell however they are only 35 profile so very little to flex in the first place.

Looking at how they are wearing they should last a good 7-8K miles so fairly happy with that. All in all just as good as the KU31's I had on previous. :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”