What would happen...

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Retro_Boy_G

What would happen...

Post by Retro_Boy_G »

If you removed the centre support for the standard mk1 spoiler..

It's always annoyed me how there is a middle support on the spoiler and I was wondering if I would come into any problems if I removed it all together..

I've got a spare one so I'm thinking what the hell, let's do it.. I'm just not sure if it would cause unnecessary vibrations or if it would flap around like mad at high speeds..

Anyone ever done it?
kaiowas

Re: What would happen...

Post by kaiowas »

It's been done plenty of times, usually in conjunction with moving the spoiler further rearwards too.
Retro_Boy_G

Post by Retro_Boy_G »

Awesome.. Wasn't really looking to move it, I quite like where it sits.. Just hate the middle.

Can you tell me if people have made any additional support or just cut it, filled it and painted it?
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Gets in the way a bit when washing the boot lid but otherwise I never really notice it :?

What is it about it that you dont like Retro ?

Peter
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Retro_Boy_G wrote:Awesome.. Wasn't really looking to move it, I quite like where it sits.. Just hate the middle.

Can you tell me if people have made any additional support or just cut it, filled it and painted it?

I just cut it out with a dremel and filled the hole but the filling cracked with the flexing of the wing.

If I was to do it again I'd resin a couple of metal strips across the inside of the hole then use fibre glass to fill the hole, possibly even cut a step out round the edge of the hole so the fibre glass could be get a better grip. :-k
Dan23

Post by Dan23 »

as above really, all it will do is put a bit more strain on the middle of the spoiler, more so at speeds so you ideally need to strengthen the middle up or you will be forever re filling it.

i was also thinking about doing the same with mine as im not to keen on the middle support
Retro_Boy_G

Post by Retro_Boy_G »

I just don't like the centre bit.. I'm sure it serves its purpose well but it just annoys me..

I finished making my own strut brace today so my next task will be to chop the spare spoiler I have..

Wish me luck!
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

As the wing is hollow, what about filling it with expanding foam of some kind, it would spread the load on the centre section adding rigidity without adding much weight. It would also give a substrate to fill against.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

aw11rally wrote:As the wing is hollow, what about filling it with expanding foam of some kind, it would spread the load on the centre section adding rigidity without adding much weight. It would also give a substrate to fill against.

I did that with mine and the filler still cracked round the edges of the hole. :( If you did use expanding foam I think fibral would be a better bet than bodywork filler. :-k
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Limeymk1 wrote:
aw11rally wrote:As the wing is hollow, what about filling it with expanding foam of some kind, it would spread the load on the centre section adding rigidity without adding much weight. It would also give a substrate to fill against.

I did that with mine and the filler still cracked round the edges of the hole. :( If you did use expanding foam I think fibral would be a better bet than bodywork filler. :-k

Theres a very simple answer. Just leave the flippin spoiler as standard.
Why mess around with it :roll:

Peter
Dan23

Post by Dan23 »

elbon50 wrote:
Limeymk1 wrote:

Peter

and there is a really simple answer to that, to be different
Retro_Boy_G

Post by Retro_Boy_G »

"Like"
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Dan23 wrote:
elbon50 wrote:
Limeymk1 wrote:

Peter

and there is a really simple answer to that, to be different

Not for me. I have plenty of useful jobs to do

Mk1 is quite unusual enough as is.

Most of em think mine is a Ferrari :D

Peter
Retro_Boy_G

Post by Retro_Boy_G »

All the more reason to modify it! :D
sketch

Post by sketch »

elbon50 wrote:

Peter

Lol @ ^^^^^

I cut the center strut from my spoiler too, looks loads better. As above though use fibral not filler...oh and don't slam the boot shut holding the spoiler (like i used to) :lol:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

So it's my car thats different now :D

Everyone else has cut the central strut away !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peter
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Toyota didn't spend millions of pounds developing the car and its each individual components if there wasn't a reason for it.

But if you think you know more than the people designed it go ahead and remove it :thumleft:

I remove the entire spoiler when I give the car a good clean so it doesn't get in my way :D
Retro_Boy_G

Post by Retro_Boy_G »

To be fair though I highly doubt it will effect the cars performance anyway.. If anything they probably done it so they didn't have to reinforce the spoiler internally thus saving them money!
sketch

Post by sketch »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Toyota didn't spend millions of pounds developing the car and its each individual components if there wasn't a reason for it.

But if you think you know more than the people designed it go ahead and remove it :thumleft:

Toyota also didn't use Blitz, Koni, or Powerflow. :roll: as are fitted to your mk1.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Toyota didn't spend millions of pounds developing the car and its each individual components if there wasn't a reason for it.

I remove the entire spoiler when I give the car a good clean so it doesn't get in my way :D

The spoiler doesn't even pick up the air flow apart from in each corner anyway. It's more cosmetic than functional in all honesty. I've got to say though I think Retro Boy is showing the way forward with a nice clean JDM look. Liking it lots. :+:

/self confessed JDM car culture freak! ;)
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”