New MR2 Turbo Rev 3! pic added in last post

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nickg07

New MR2 Turbo Rev 3! pic added in last post

Post by nickg07 »

Hi all, i just picked up my new N reg 1995 MR2 GT T-Bar Turbo last weekend and im loving the car so far!

Its a japanese import with optional TRC in jet black with the electric reclining wing mirrors. It has Apexi Hyabusa exhaust, Apexi intake with heatshield and TRD oil/rad caps as the only modifications from standard. It even has the OE headunit that doesnt play CDs any more. Heck there was a japanese air freshner still hanging behind the drivers seatbelt. It has original MR2 mats it seems in mint condition.

I have had the car in toyotech garage today for an oil change and look over, the guy said it looked like a good one in great condition given its age etc. Underneath the sills etc are all totally rust free and in excellent shape.

The car was imported by Newera in 2005 and has had one UK woner since then who has not modded the car at all and serviced every 4-6000 miles at the same place each year in sheffield.

Issues picked up in the check over:

Clutch slipping
Sump panel rusting
Ht leads shorting need replacing
Coolant change coming up

Apart from that it is in good shape and very quick:) much faster than my Corolla T sport that i have been driving.

Sadly i have not enough posts to show you all a picture yet;(
Last edited by nickg07 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baker

Re: New MR2 Turbo Rev 3! pic added in last post

Post by Baker »

Is this your first mr2?

re: the leads, get these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NGK-SILICONE-IGNI ... 3f09514570

as good as toyota leads imo.

i remember taking my car to toyota for a check up when buying, came to a £2,400 bill of things they thought needed doing. That included 170 for the clock, which had a small crack in it. Very thorough!

i didnt buy it! =;
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Hi yes, this is my first MR2!

Previously i have owned a Primera GT, then a Corolla T Sport and now an MR2. I always promised myself a turbo 'Gran Turismo' car at some point in my life and the skyline insurance at £4000 a year wasnt feasible - and i have always had a soft spot for the MR2 so i thought id go for it!

Having the mid engine configuration makes it pretty special, and the induction noise + the turbo whilst is quite amazing. Butt dyno tells me the car must surely have around 250bhp still...
Baker

Post by Baker »

they dont make them like this anymore sadly.
Its raw power, no fancy computers controlling everything it does.

There's a route quite easily and safely to 300bhp too.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Tell me about if. If you want a fun modern turbo RWD car, you will have to look pretty hard past the year 2000 to find compelling ones.

Even my dad was surprised at how muhc car and technology you get for the money with these things.

So ive lined up:

Denso PK20R8 spark plugs for £31
Exedy OE TKY2124 clutch £120
Long life coolant - MR-T £25?
HT Leads - not decided yet
Sump Pan - MR-t? i cant find anywhere that sells them:/ Any ideas?

Apart from that is there anything else that needs urgently changing at about 80k miles? The brakes have had new lines fitted at least at the rear and might be due a strip down sometime soon.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Welcome.....Yeah mate...you can go for whatever plugs NGK, Denso etc but I would deffo go for OEM leads...and that clutch is fine...I had a similar if not the same and it was sweet as a nut...up to 300 at the flywheel...You should stick up a post on here for a sump pan...there was a Morosso one knocking around a while ago...
The best thing you can do mate...is spend the next week trawling through the threads on here to familiarize y'self with the common faults etc...These cars eat dizzy caps for breakfast so it wouldn't be a bad idea to check yours out and the rotor arm...make sure that the leads you buy are the correct size for the dizzy cap wells...stick to 1....1.1 bar boost on standard fuelling...copper plugs are much cheaper and can be re-gapped...irridium/plats are not and can't...stick www.camskill.co.uk in your fave folder...superb service, been buying from them for years mate.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Good tip thanks. I've been lurking here for a few weeks and.used the buyers guide from here and some btinternet Mr2 resource when looking at the car. Very insightful as its a complex Car with potentially many pitfalls.

And imo definitely not looking for over 300 bhp at this moment. the car scares me enough just as it is - ill have to dyno her but.its way more than my 200hp corolla.

I've also dealt with camskill before for springs and arbs they seem cheaper than fensport part for part.

Ill get onto the for sale section and see what.i can find. thanks.
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

I thought the sump pans on rev3+ were made of aluminium :-k

Sounds like a great car and some nice options too - look after it :thumleft:

and +1 for OEM leads.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Apparently this one definitely doesnt seem to be, i looked under the car and saw the rust for myself.

Does anyone know the part number for the OE plugs? Its always a hassle calling toyota with a reg plate that doesnt make sense to them on the system.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

nickg07 wrote:Does anyone know the part number for the OE plugs? Its always a hassle calling toyota with a reg plate that doesnt make sense to them on the system.

If you mean plugs then the part number you've got above is right, Denso PK20R8 is what they were supplied with new from the factory. You can order them from Toyota with part number 90919-01180 but I wouldn't bother :)

If you mean leads rather than plugs then the part number for a rev3+ turbo is 90919-21581 - you're probably looking at just north of £100 for them. Bear in mind though that the OEM leads are excellent, they easily last 10 years / 75,000 miles, they're good for upwards of 400bhp and you won't see some of the reported issues other members have had with aftermarket leads.

Has it had the cambelt done? That's a 100,000KM / 60,000 mile item.

It shouldn't be a hassle with Toyota, you *should* be able to give them your 'frame' number for ordering parts. This is the number stamped in the frunk which will be SW20-009xxxx or similar. If they know how to use the parts system properly, they will be able to switch to the Japanese EPC and enter the frame number.

If you struggle with your local dealer it might be worth locating a more import friendly dealer nearby. My local chain of Toyota dealers will quite happily do mail order parts from a frame number. Where are you based?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Standard leads all day long! And I've removed a few! Congrats on the new toy :thumleft:
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Hi thanks guys, wow £100+ is pretty steep for the leads but its a once only item i guess.. It does make the £50 NGKs seem more reasonable but then if i have to change them again the cost difference would be negated! Yep and sorry i did mean the part code for the plug leads as yea ive decided to go for those particular denso plugs.

Is it a pain to change them btw as i noticed that there is a bit of the engine ay directly clocking what looks to be the 2nd sparkplug hole to stop you from getting access to it?

The cambelt was last done 2007 August time about 30-40k miles ago, so its probably a job for next year i would have thought? But when the car goes in for the clutch i will ask the mech to inspect all the belts just make sure they are okay to get me until next summer. I only do about 6k miles a year commuting so i wont be putting a huge strain on them till then anyhow.

One minor issue im not sure how to sort is the apexi air filter buzzing on part of the engine assembly on a bolt. I thought it was making an odd noise from time to time and the mechanic spotted it straight away and asked if it had been vibrating. if i could show a pic it would be pretty obvious, im thinking to maybe get some heat resistant plastic and put it inbetween to stop it from happening.

Just read the FAQ any ideas how many posts i need to be able to throw some images up?
Baker

Post by Baker »

The NGK leads are really good.
Perfect fit, well built and nothing but good reports from them. NGK know their ignition stuff!

And over half the price. you dont however get the cable tidy with them, but you can reuse your current one.

Toyota leads are obviously very good too, had some in my last car which were 14 years old and still firing well.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

The part number: 90919-21577

keeps cropping up in terms of HT leads for about £60 or so? Will these fit, or the ones from GTSchris's website. I dont know what this tidy plastic thing is but as long asd the leads fit properly and arent exposed im happy to be honest.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

That's the part number for a set of NA leads from a Celica.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Looks good! Nice and standard. For now! Looks like you could do with doing the rocker cover gasket, also you can remove the box behind the air intake and replace it with ducting. Also the solenoid for the charcoal canister is flopping about. Maybe replace all standard vacuum piping too.
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

Thatnks Skywalker, out of curiosity how can you tell it needs a new rocker gasket? Also Where is the charcoal naister im looking for?

Any kits on the vacuum piping available?

Sorry im obviously a noob with this car!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”