[Mk2] [Turbo] Steering wheel still shaking...

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dellams

[Mk2] [Turbo] Steering wheel still shaking...

Post by dellams »

When I 1st got my car, it was fine up to about 100 then, the steering wheel would start shaking.

I got my brakes bled by a tyer firm, and since I got it back it started shaking violenting at about 60. They said it was because it needed Spiggot rings, after finally sourcing and fitting the correct size it helped a bit but still shakes a bit over 60.

The odd thing is it was fine before they messed with it, so could it be something they've done? Maybe not done the nuts up correctly or evenly?

Maybe a sticking brake caliper?

They also supposedly have done a 4 wheel alignment too, etc but has made no difference...

Cheers.
D.
Rev3 TURBO TBAR running aprox 280bhp @ 1bar (320bhp after re-map soon...)
SonicSW20

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Steering wheel still shaking...

Post by SonicSW20 »

mine used to vibrate at motorway speeds, turned out I had two buckled front wheels!

I originally thought it was alignment, that made it a bit better, took it in to get the wheels balanced and found out they were buckled - went back to get it laser aligned at the front again once the new fronts were on!
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Ok things to check
1 take the wheels off and clean the face of the disc (the parts the wheel butts upto) with a wire brush and also the inner face of the wheel that meets it.
2 check the tyres for bulges
3 Correct tyre pressure
4 get the tyres balanced

All 4 of these things can produce wobble in my experience
dellams

Post by dellams »

Ok will do thanks guys.

Im beginning to think it could be the brakes sticking. I know the brake discs are warped slightly since get the same sort of shaking under heavy braking. But it use to only be under heavy braking, not all the time!

Also noticed the metal guards that are behind the discs have completely rusted through and were getting caught sometimes on full lock so ripped part of them away, it just crumpled in my hands! :(

So not sure if that could be related? Maybe discs are getting xxxx stuck in between them, etc?
Meko

Post by Meko »

i'd go for wheels, either buckled or need balancing. I had the same issue on my last car, when i swapped it for this one i swapped the wheels and it's still shaking... I need new tyres so hopefully once they're swapped and been balanced, it'll be ok.
dellams

Post by dellams »

On the way to work today, started getting a horrid grinding metal on metal sound!

I was pretty convinced it had to be the brake caliper being stuck on the disc, but the places I dropped it off to get the rear tires changed said the front wheels were turning freely and looked ok to them!

But it can't be ok, they said they haven't got time to have a look at it properly and will need to book it in again another time.

Problem is, I need the car tomorrow to get to one of these team building exercises in the middle of dartmoor! :(

Typical timing, was really looking forward to the nice drive across dartmoor, now it looks like I wont even make it!

Is there anything I can do at home to try and solve the problem? If the wheels are indeed turning freely, what else can I do?

This could be linked to other problems I have had with steering wheel shaking when I get to about 60 miles an hour. I know the brake discs are warped at the front so possibly the brake calpiper has got stuck on, but if they said its spinning freely, it cant be this?

The steering wheel has always shook under heavy braking as expected by warped discs. But the shaking all the time started after they took the wheels off, then they said it needed spiggot rings, which has helped a bit. Now they have re-balanced the front wheels so that may help with the shaking. Its the horrid metal on metal grinding sound which concerns me most since I really dont want to drive it when its doing that!

I know the brake shrouds behind the discs have completley rusted away, and I have pulled most of these off now in case they were getting caught up, which they did sometimes on full lock.

Cheers.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Not sure about the noise fella but abovetherim is right to suggest checking all the things he's listed. Add to that checking those spiggot rings again maybe. Sounds as if a set got lost then replaced with a slightly poorer fitting one? If the rears weren't altered switch them over to see.
As for the brake shroud it's part of the hub so expensive to replace. I've had to lose my rev1 ones when I upgraded to rev3 brakes but get them off properly and tidily. Lastly if you want to check for a sticking caliper just go for a drive then feel the wheels. If you do have a caliper stuck its wheel will be noticeably hotter to the touch.

R
dellams

Post by dellams »

Ok thanks mate, ill give that a go...

so the shrouds dont really serve an important purpose? And can happily live without them?

Return to “Mechanical”